Do I need to buy a second licence for a second computer?

Do I need to buy a second licence for a second computer?  Or is there no rules on how many computers it can run on at the same time?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

There are rules and the ultimate guide is the user's license agreement (EULA) 

- you have a license personally.  In general, you can have the software on more than one computer for your use. I believe that you are not supposed to have more than one person using the software on a single license.

Hopefully, someone will come along and point to the specifics of the EULA in order to be more clear.. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

As stated in the EULA

• Restrictions on Copying. The Content is provided for User's exclusive use. User does not have the right to provide the Content to others in any form or on any media except as set forth in this Agreement. The Content may be copied in whole or in part for User’s exclusive use. Specifically, User may copy the Content onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers owned or controlled by User. The Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity. Each individual must obtain his or her own license to use the Content.
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Ooops I forgot to mention something important.  It is not the content I was wondering about but the software such as Carrara 8.5?

edited October 2018

the EULA covers everything that is sold through the Daz store.

• The online DAZ store offers for sale a license to Content owned or licensed by DAZ and/or a license to Content owned or licensed by third-party published artists (“PA”). In this Agreement, “DAZ Content” shall refer to Content owned solely by DAZ or to libraries licensed by DAZ; “PA Content” shall refer to Content owned solely by a third-party published artist or to libraries licensed to such third-party published artists; and “Content” shall refer to both DAZ Content and PA Content.d by User. The Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity. Each individual must obtain his or her own license to use the Content.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2018
    Chohole said:

the EULA covers everything that is sold through the Daz store.

• The online DAZ store offers for sale a license to Content owned or licensed by DAZ and/or a license to Content owned or licensed by third-party published artists (“PA”). In this Agreement, “DAZ Content” shall refer to Content owned solely by DAZ or to libraries licensed by DAZ; “PA Content” shall refer to Content owned solely by a third-party published artist or to libraries licensed to such third-party published artists; and “Content” shall refer to both DAZ Content and PA Content.d by User. The Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity. Each individual must obtain his or her own license to use the Content.

How did you know I got it from Daz, I actually stole it.  o.0 I mean got it on sale a long time ago at Daz3d.  I think I got it at a great price or something like that.

edit: what I meant it get it at a steal aka a great price for all it does.  I just need to learn how to use it.

Post edited by Sfariah D on

there was one version that was sold as a magazine cover disc, and it was possible to upgrade that to the next full release (at a price).  Other than things like that Carrara has been with Daz since daz bought it from EOVIA

Chohole said:

there was one version that was sold as a magazine cover disc, and it was possible to upgrade that to the next full release (at a price).  Other than things like that Carrara has been with Daz since daz bought it from EOVIA

True.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

"Specifically, User may copy the Content onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers owned or controlled by User. The Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity."   Good to review, since I happen to have an unlimited number of computers in my home office.  And they all have Carrara Pro 8.5.  So during the 48 Hour Film Contest, if the fastest machine has a glitch, I go to the next fastest machine (the project being saved on an unlimited number of external devices, using "Save All Internally").  I did have another entity sneak in once and try to use it.  It was a Maya guy, and his eyes glazed over when he saw Carrara in action.  "But ... but ... then anybody could make great animations quickly and easily!"   He left muttering something about " ... all that money, every year ... "

wink

I wish I could have unlimited amount of computers, but I am looked at with strange looks if I use both my laptops at the same time.

Now I am afraid I did not get Carrara at a great price, but it has been so long since I got 8.5 that I am afraid nothing can be done if I got it at full price minus PC discount.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

... I got it at full price minus PC discount.

Probably the best bargain in software.