The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• One other thing, when i click on AweEnvironment, only the sphere is loaded but not the light itself. Loading up the test scene does load up the AweEnvironment light including the sphere. Am i doing something wrong ?

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2018
    mgtskynet said:

Okay, thank you wowie, do you have any tips on how to use occlusion on opacity maps without it tanking render speeds so much ?

Right now i have to disable occlusion on pretty much any hair or plant that uses opacity maps.

Two tricks comes to mind with UE2 and occlusion.

• Use progressive mode or mustakettu's render script which is bundled with AWE surface (even the freebie one). The script enables using the path tracer without progressive refinement.
    • Use UberSurface on surfaces where you must use opacity maps and make sure 'Occlusion Shading Rate Mode' is set to Override and set the surface Occlusion Shading Rate to 128.
    mgtskynet said:

One other thing, when i click on AweEnvironment, only the sphere is loaded but not the light itself. Loading up the test scene does load up the AweEnvironment light including the sphere. Am i doing something wrong ?

No. QA has somehow messed up the loader file. You can use the one in the starter scene, or if you prefer, save out a scene subset of the light and environment sphere (leaving off the others).

There's an update available for AWE Surface here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight/p1

Post edited by wowie on
  • wowie said:
    mgtskynet said:

Okay, thank you wowie, do you have any tips on how to use occlusion on opacity maps without it tanking render speeds so much ?

Right now i have to disable occlusion on pretty much any hair or plant that uses opacity maps.

Two tricks comes to mind with UE2 and occlusion.

• Use progressive mode or mustakettu's render script which is bundled with AWE surface (even the freebie one). The script enables using the path tracer without progressive refinement.
    • Use UberSurface on surfaces where you must use opacity maps and make sure 'Occlusion Shading Rate Mode' is set to Override and set the surface Occlusion Shading Rate to 128.
    mgtskynet said:

One other thing, when i click on AweEnvironment, only the sphere is loaded but not the light itself. Loading up the test scene does load up the AweEnvironment light including the sphere. Am i doing something wrong ?

No. QA has somehow messed up the loader file. You can use the one in the starter scene, or if you prefer, save out a scene subset of the light and environment sphere (leaving off the others).

There's an update available for AWE Surface here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight/p1

Sorry for the late response, my wifi is acting up. Yeah, making a scene subset is exactly what i did before posting the problem. Everything else works fine out of the box. Also thanks for the tip.

I will keep experimenting with this shader. It has so many options. I will definitely come to you for advice in the future.

• wowie said:

Actually, you could check what's inside aweAreaPTAttribs.dsa - line 247.

Shader.setStringAttrib( "light", "emitphotons", "on");

Should be there on the freebie point/spot/distant light too. But I never get stuff even with your RaytracerCaustics render script. So I never tested or focused on it during development.

Ah okay, thanks, found it now!

Caustics are pretty finicky, same as IRL when you want to photograph them... I'll need to dig out my old test scene and update it for aweSurface.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    wowie said:

Should be there on the freebie point/spot/distant light too. But I never get stuff even with your RaytracerCaustics render script. So I never tested or focused on it during development.

Caustics are pretty finicky, same as IRL when you want to photograph them... I'll need to dig out my old test scene and update it for aweSurface.

Please dosmiley

• wowie said:

Please dosmiley

You wouldn't believe how much shader mixer and me detest each other LOL It keeps on inventing the most ingenious ways of annoying me!

Hopefully I'll be able to do something around the New Year time (when we Russians finally have some time off... hopefully I'll be able to actually take it LOL)

• Wowie, a question, where is the tab for normal maps ?

mgtskynet said:

Wowie, a question, where is the tab for normal maps ?

It's hidden by default. Mostly because I'm not sure I'm doing things correctly. It does look like that's going to change for the next update.

• Ah, oke thanks Wowie. I also found another problem. When i render to a rib file for use with external 3delight, the exporter breaks after the first transfer to rib.

Then i have to restart Daz studio if i want to transfer to a rib file again. The internal 3delight works fine though.

edited December 2018
    mgtskynet said:

Ah, oke thanks Wowie. I also found another problem. When i render to a rib file for use with external 3delight, the exporter breaks after the first transfer to rib.

Then i have to restart Daz studio if i want to transfer to a rib file again. The internal 3delight works fine though.

Yes. That's the limitations of the RIB export when you use the render script. Hence all the more reason to get DAZ implementing raytracer and radiosity caching options.

One note about RIB export and standalone renderer. Subsurface scattering behaves differently on the standalone. I haven't figured the cause yet. Diffuse/reflection/refraction works fine.

Edit: OK. I found the cause and made the necessary fixes. Subsurface will now render the same with the built-in renderer and the standalone. It also is just slightly faster (5%). Render times with the standalone seems to be around 15% faster.

Post edited by wowie on
  • Yes, i did download the script when you first told me about it and it works perfectly fine. Thank you for the note.

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146
    edited December 2018
    wowie said:
    mgtskynet said:

Ah, oke thanks Wowie. I also found another problem. When i render to a rib file for use with external 3delight, the exporter breaks after the first transfer to rib.

Yes. That's the limitations of the RIB export when you use the render script. Hence all the more reason to get DAZ implementing raytracer and radiosity caching options.

One note about RIB export and standalone renderer. Subsurface scattering behaves differently on the standalone. I haven't figured the cause yet. Diffuse/reflection/refraction works fine.

Hello, a "pseudo" solution to this problem is to export RIB files without the script renderer and copy/paste the script parameters.

minimal work however

Post edited by khorneV2 on
    edited January 2019

...working on some car conversions...for some reason I've picked up a lot of nice carmodels lately, have to make use of them:)

NEMESIS awe 1pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M
    GTR-A awe.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

...working on some car conversions...for some reason I've picked up a lot of nice carmodels lately, have to make use of them:)

Good car models for DS is hard to come by. Shame that Shelby Cobra awhile back is offline now. It's one of the best models I've seen for DS/Poser.

Might want to enable thin film either on the coat or the base.

edited January 2019
    wowie said:

Good car models for DS is hard to come by. Shame that Shelby Cobra awhile back is offline now. It's one of the best models I've seen for DS/Poser.

Might want to enable thin film either on the coat or the base.

Yeah just trying different things. I wanted a more weathered look but may have overdone it;) Using a bit higher refraction values (1.7) on the base and 1.5 on the thin film for that yellow one. Pretty happy with the other one, it was in fast grab yesterday:)

This one I converted from IRay... first render. Need to rough it up a bit...

ZOMBIE VAN AWE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    edited January 2019

This is definitely roughed upcool

US2 DESTROYED awe.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • wowie said:
    mgtskynet said:

Edit: OK. I found the cause and made the necessary fixes. Subsurface will now render the same with the built-in renderer and the standalone. It also is just slightly faster (5%). Render times with the standalone seems to be around 15% faster.

That is great to hear, i did notice for me at least that renders with standalone 3delight are generally faster.

Should i download the awe shader again from your link to get the subsurface fix ? And did you also find a fix for the rib export ?

edited January 2019

...fixed a number of details...

Nemesis 2 awe.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
    edited January 2019
    mgtskynet said:
    wowie said:

That is great to hear, i did notice for me at least that renders with standalone 3delight are generally faster.

Should i download the awe shader again from your link to get the subsurface fix ? And did you also find a fix for the rib export ?

Not yet. I'm still adding some stuff.

I think I've managed to get camera based exposure limits working. Though right now, it doesn't honor the f-stop you set on the camera (when rendering a view from a camera) and shutter time from the motion blur renderer's settings.

I currently have no plans to do anything about the RIB export.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:
    mgtskynet said:
    wowie said:

Not yet. I'm still adding some stuff.

I think I've managed to get camera based exposure limits working. Though right now, it doesn't honor the f-stop you set on the camera (when rendering a view from a camera) and shutter time from the motion blur renderer's settings.

I currently have no plans to do anything about the RIB export.

Any thoughts on dispersion and diffraction?

cheeky

Any thoughts on dispersion and diffraction?

cheeky

Yes. They're hard to do correctly. smiley But not impossible. wink I won't do them until I can get them (rather) properly with fast enough render times.

Fixed the artefacts in this one, now that I know it was DoF that caused it. Had to change focal distance to 150 (should have been 450 if working as should) and Fstop to 400 to get a nice sharp render. Kind of akward but it works. Also followed wowies advice to lower the street decals a bit and turn shadows off, looks better now:)

edited January 2019

...might as well post these WIPs of a character I'm working on, the hair is giving me a hard time again, did try replacing the maps and all kinds of settings, this is the best I've come up with thus far:( Also working on some undressing morphs, still need to try dForcing the shirt...may the dForce gods be with melaugh

Xuan3 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Xuan4 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited January 2019

...and a random experiment, the ugliest guy in the known universe? Don't know is he's going up or downsmiley

Sinking dude2 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    edited January 2019

..more character WIP:

Hravnin cl awe.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    edited January 2019

Converted the Sawmill https://www.daz3d.com/sawmill, testrendered with normalmaps on at 10x10 pixelsamples, thinking it would be cool to have a normal strength slider...

Also need to enable face fwd for a number of objects;)

The Sawmill awe.png
    1800 x 1013 - 4M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,946

..more character WIP:

...wow, this looks really good. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,946

Converted the Sawmill https://www.daz3d.com/sawmill, testrendered with normalmaps on at 10x10 pixelsamples, thinking it would be cool to have a normal strength slider...

Also need to enable face fwd for a number of objects;)

...at first I thought it was a photo from where I live (Oregon). 

Tks kk! I'll post an update tomorrow, already fixed a number of things;) Have a look at the promos, early Iray;)

edited January 2019

Like this?

By the way, the iray uber conversion script is finished. It does need the updated shader though. It won't work with older builds.

Normal.jpg
    491 x 411 - 40K
    Post edited by wowie on