Exporting parts of a figure as obj files

Hi - I want to bring pieces of a figure (Emotiguy) into another program (Element 3d / After effects) to use for rendering a video.

How can I export each hand as individual objects. Would also like to export a right shoe and left shoe instead of simply shoes together so I can move them independently.

I can export the whole emotiguy as obj without a problem, or the complete set of shoes - but if I just select the right hand and export that as an object, the file size is only reading as 1K and nothing is showing up when I bring it into element 3d. (same for left hand, or either shoe by itself) - only seems to work when converting a whole figure into object.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Greetings Mosk,

easiest way is to export the whole figure as an obj, then reimport the obj, duplicate it x amount of times then 

in the vertex room cut off the bits you want by eg select left hand, the. Invert selection , then delete so you are just left with the hand.

if you want a neat cut, in the assembly room add a vertex cube, line it up with the eg hand so that it envelopes the poles you don't want, select the hand and the cube, then Boolean it with hand minusThis will probably c

if you copy and past an obj you won't get that annoying check about the master object etc

Sorry iPad went nuts when I was typing. Should say "Boolean it with hand minus cube or similar this might screw up the uvees though" 

if you don't want to export and reimport the obj then 

in assembly room you can also select the model, then edit drop down menu 'smooth' ???? , then unlink the bones in the animation drop down menu, from memory... will check later

this enables you to duplicate the model etc and work on it , but it is no longer rigged

if you want to keep it rigged you can do that in the carrara plugin studio so just the eg hand is rigged 

if you want to know hoe to do that let me know and I will hunt down thread 

• Hey @head wax_carrara, thanks for the replies.

That's roughly what I ended up doing - used Fenric's 'Tree Duplicate' a few times then went into model room and deleted parts of the models so I could have separate left hand, right hand, body, right foot and left foot.  In the case of the Emoticon, that was easy since there's actual separation between those parts rather than connected vertices.  And for what I'm working on now, I don't need the pieces to remain rigged - though I wouldn't mind reading through that thread you mentioned if you're able to track it down (but no urgency on that request)

• thanks - skimmed through that thread and have bookmarked it to try later

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Thanks for digging that one up! That'll be a handy reference.

Cheers,

--ms

pleasure ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI All :)

Mosk :)  in element3d you should be able to load the object in,. and duplicate it into other groups in element3d and hide the parts you don't need based on shader etc.

There's a good tutorial on VCP of a helicopter rotor animated using this method of duplicating the model and hiding all but the rotor, ...then animating that rotation in e3d.

hope it helps

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Welcome back, 3DAGE!

You have been missed.

Welcome back, 3DAGE!

You have been missed.

times eight