Hand follow the head?

I have a phone up to G1's ear. Facing forward, it's piece of cake. Now try moving her head this way and that...

Is there a way to keep her phone stuck to her ear, because manually posing her arm is making me nuts

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2018

parent a target helper and track it maybe with the hand

not sure about Genesis might go contorted would definitely work with M4, V4 etc

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I'm shure mCasual does have some scripts to do that.

I guess you will need something like these:

I also guess you will need a Rigid Follow Node on the figures ear to have some node the phone and the hand/arm up to the shoulder can follow by the head movement.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I'm shure mCasual does have some scripts to do that.

I also guess you will need a Rigid Follow Node on the figures ear to have some node the phone and the hand/arm up to the shoulder can follow by the head movement.

this is Carrara not DAZ studio 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

I'm shure mCasual does have some scripts to do that.

Although if he wants to convert them for use in Carrara he would be most welcome !!!

• Wendy_Carrara saied:

Sorry my fail this just poped up in recent discussions.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

Wendy_Carrara saied:

it's all good, man, no fall. i might try it to bring into Carrara. i just never figured those scripts out

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited November 2018
    MAJourney said:

Wendy_Carrara saied:

it's all good, man, no fall. i might try it to bring into Carrara. i just never figured those scripts out

Forget the script. You can do a lot with target helpers. You may need to do a minor bit of work on Genesis as the IK is a bit different. It is easy to fix though. The main thing to do if the IK for the arms isn't working as expected would be to go to the Modifiers tab and add an IK Terminator at the shoulder or collar. Very easy to do. Just select the joint, click the Modifiers tab and then choose IK Terminator. If there is a terminator there already, make sure to enable the checkbox.

To have the hand holding the phone follow the head, parent a target helper to the head. Then, select the hand and enable IK tracking. Keep in mind that the tracking is hot point to hot point. Meaning the hand's hot point will track the target helper hot point. If I recall correctly the hand's hot point is actually the wrist joint. This just means you will need to offset the target from the head a bit. I would position the target and line everything up before you start animating. One other thing to keep in mind is that there is the option to also track the helper's orientation. This works great sometimes and not so great at other times. It is animation dependent. One last thing: The range of movement, just like in real life is constrained by the joint's range of movement. If the movement is beyond the constraint, Carrara will try and follow the target helper and could introduce some abberant movements. You can get around this by being careful in your range of movements, or you can use an extra step and customize the joint movement/type in the Motion tab.

I made and animated a character riding a bike using IK, target helpers and spin modifiers:

I also made an animation with a figure's hands locked on her head with a target helper as she looks around in a panic:

This animation uses a target helper to keep her hand on hip as she walks:

This animation uses targets to help the astronauts with their pipe work at the 2:09 minute marker:

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

great stuff evil

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

shen you say "enable the checkbox" on the terminator, do you mean "exclude from children chains" shold or should not be enabled? i ghink someone had an IK setup for Genesis on sharecg, but i've forgotten who.

The panicky girl is close to what i want