Michael 5's Black, Soulless Eyes?

TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

More or less loving the new Carrara, but I'm still trying to come to grips with the changes. Since it ships with the documentation from C7, and the Genesis figures are new as of C8.5, I can't be sure if I'm doing this right.

I may have an issue with Michael 5's eyes. There's a color multiplier on them that's pretty much set to zero, making them a solid black. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, right? They can't load black for everyone, right?

Comments

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

I'm sure you ticked both "Light Trough Transparency" in the Render Room Rendering Tab

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

It was already ticked. The default figure's eyes don't even have transparency set, and the color map that's included is essentially multiplied by zero.

I did just recently find the collection of eyes in the smart content tab, under "Materials," but to load with dead black eyes, well, that's kind of a harsh reminder to load eyes, isn't it?

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Territan, I remember once having a character that had this problem - I think it was Michael 5, in fact. As I recall, I went into the Shader for the eyes and found the problem (color set to "None" or something), and I just had to find the texture again, and reset it. That fixed the problem. I wish I could recall more precisely what was causing the problem; I just know it was a bad Shader channel setting.

You might start by looking there.

FD

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Attached, please find three pictures in no particular order: 1) those soulless dead eyes, 2) the shaders as shown in his shader group, and 3) the color portion reflected in one of those shaders.

The color element is two layers, and each layer is the product of a texture map and a color, in this case #000000. And you know what anything multiplied by zero is.

Used gently with light tints, this could provide a convenient way to colorize eyes and eye parts. Note that multiplying by zero is not using it gently, as black is anything but a "light tint."

I am slowly approaching one of those "Why do we even have that button?" moments.

Screen_Shot_2013-09-09_at_8.25_.21_PM_.png
    690 x 286 - 67K
    Screen_Shot_2013-09-09_at_8.24_.07_PM_.png
    122 x 137 - 11K
    Screen_Shot_2013-09-09_at_8.23_.05_PM_.png
    785 x 210 - 132K