Convert an Autodesk .max file to fbx help

I have a file freebie, and it's a .max NOT 3ds.  I thought Meshmixer might open it, but guess not. Just confused as to why the Autodesk icon shows for me on my desktop for the file as if I have a 3D programme that will open it. I don't have that PaperPort thingy and I want to work with it not just view it.

Anyone have Autodesk/Maya, whatever... and could convert it for me?  It's only 1mb. 

Cheers if you can!  heart  Silene

zip
zip
Steppe-Terrain.zip

Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

this is what I get from max 2017

dunno if it works for you

zip
    zip
    max2017.zip
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2018

Oh bugger... I know .max isn't mesh, but what a bummer.  I had several dds files as well and there is only one texture jpg file which is the ground.  Actually, they look like billboard forms! I thought the plants would be vertex models.

Thank you for giving it a go for me.    It was supposed to be this. 

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-33537.html

yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

you're welcome

you can convert dds files, into tga for example, via xnview

here is your dds in tga format to be applied within carrara

zip
    zip
    Modeling_C011756.zip
    2M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2018

DAZ studio will load dds

game engines use it with mipmapping

My Skyrim and Witcher mesh exports all use it

Irfanview will also convert it and Gimp with a plugin

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Thanks Magaremoto very much...and Wendy!  I will give them a whirl later today... I use tgas a lot with my terrains (I have World Creator). I don't have a problem with billboard vegetation and have a lot of X-Frog stuff. In the distance they can be very useful and not memory hungry. I wanted to only have to model a few detailed plants and this mock quill was one of them.  Will see how it goes if I can use mine, then have a field of these in mid-distance.

yes  heart  Silene

edited November 2018

Here's a quickie low-res but medium lighted render demonstrating how I used the white quill plants in the tundra so far. They are a good filler. I will use billboards for all of the plants most likely except for the berry plants and the junipers, lichens and moss which will be added later. It's big scene, so will only populate the areas that will be in the renders with detailed stuff.  The caribou (by AM) has Carrara hair, but I left it off to speed up the render.

Thanks again!  yes  Silene

Tundra-1.png
    640 x 480 - 503K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    SileneUK said:

Here's a quickie low-res but medium lighted render demonstrating how I used the white quill plants in the tundra so far. They are a good filler. I will use billboards for all of the plants most likely except for the berry plants and the junipers, lichens and moss which will be added later. It's big scene, so will only populate the areas that will be in the renders with detailed stuff.  The caribou (by AM) has Carrara hair, but I left it off to speed up the render.

Thanks again!  yes  Silene

lovely foreground 

Thanks, Andrew, high praise from a very talented artist.  heartkiss  Silene