I created Terai Yuki for Genesis 8

will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
edited November 2018 in Art Studio

This is a passion project for me. I got started in 3D because of the Terai Yuki 2 when she was the intellectual property of E-Frontier. With all of the business dealings behind the scene, I feel that the figure got a bum rap when it came to development. She was revolutionary for her time, but then got lost in licensing hell and no further development happened. I had experimented with an updated version of her for Poser, which worked, but Poser's clothing system required a team of NASA scientists to rig so her out. 

Terai Yuki development

So I put the project on the shelf for a while. Anyway a few weeks ago I picked it off the shelf and rethought my whole approach, taking her out of Poser and working the figure into a DAZ studio Figure in Genesis 8. It's not yet ready for prime time, but as a protoype, I'm very pleased with the results. She's fully Genesis 8 --not a Geograft figure at all. I have some work to do with rigging, but I would say that it opens a lot up a lot of new possibilities for her as a figure. 

The skin is Girl 8. When I tried it on her, their just really wasn't any need for me to look at anything else. I did convert her hair to Genesis 8 just to show everyone who she is, but I plan on finally giving her an update to her hair as well as expanding her wardrobe with Genesis 8. 

I still have a little bit more work to do in the face and may do some Corrective morphs, but I'm pretty pleased with the project so far. 

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Very nice work.  I have Terai Yuki in a Poser runtime somewhere, and agree that it was a great figure let down by poor marketing/support.  I look forward to seeing some more renders from you with this figure.

• Yeah, I started recreating her because I'm kind of a Terai Yuki buff. I've been collecting stuff about her for a few years now. She actually has an Art book, and A DVD from back in like 2002 called Terai Yuki Secrets, as well as her first manga appearance in Libido. In my research, I came across it and I was really taken aback by just how popular she was before Vocaloids and MikiMiku Dance. 

This was an image I found from her Picture Book before I purchased it:

The book came out in 2002, I think. It was really ahead of it's time, but I managed to find a copy and it really inspired me to explore 3D more. After seeing Terai Yuki Secrets, I decided that I wanted to take one of the shorts that had been created over a decade ago, and try to recreate it using today's technology. It's turning out to be a pretty fun project. Five years ago I might not have been confident enough, but with today's tools I think that it's possible to make a really good rendition of a video --which is what prompted me to re-create Terai Yuki in Genesis 8. The pipline for me is to create her in Genesis 8 and then take her into Maya for the animation portion using a combination of Genesis 8 to Maya and DAZtoMaya with a stop along the way to do the garment animations in Marvelous Designer. I'm even considering doing the Animations in Motion builder, baking the animations in DAZ and exporting Alembic to render in Maya, Cinema 4d or Unreal for the final outcome. I'm going to give it a try to see which one produces the most satisfying result. 

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

An interesting project, to be sure. I took a stab at creating a clone a while back, but, unlike you, I chose what seemed like a logical choice of figure at that time, Aiko 3. Your goal is obviously to produce an updated version of TY2 using G8F, while my attempt was merely replacing one outdated figure with another, working from whatever reference material I could find. I was limited to using the available morph dials and so the results were less than stellar, but I really wasn't interested in taking the exercise too far by pulling her into a modelling program to tweak her. So, close but no cigar is about the best I could do and she was shelved (but I still have her collecting dust in my content library).

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited November 2018

It is definitely a labor of love. At first I was trying to go too big and it ended up working to some degree but there were issues with the figure I chose back then. So this time. I stuck with making just a head morph.

I did not do a complete recreation because I didn't like her ears from the first figure, so I decided not to include them. The key thing for me was being able to use all the different textures that Genesis 8/3 provides with all the updated shaders.

This way anything that I can use with Genesis 8 now works with her and it's made things much more appealing. I think the one thing I am going to try and accomplish with this is to redo her original hairstyle as well using some of the newer techniques. I want the final image to be reminiscient but also new. 

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited November 2018

I think one of the most exciting things about this project is that now instead of having a handful of items compatible with the figure you now have a lot more options when it comes to hair and style. Right now I'm working on the base figure but there have been so many different looks to take advantage of, I've got to be careful not to get too tied up with all the possiblities. 

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

I don't know the character, so can't really say much on how close you are, but it certainly is looking good.

• You probably wouldn't if you're not a history buff, or from Japan. Yuki's character actually started off in 2d in Kutsugi Kenichi's manga "Libido" which was published in 1997. (Don't quote me on the actual date though --her history isn't complete.) There was one figure that pre-dated her as a digital idol called Kyoko Date. Kutsugi then recreated his work in 3D and Yuki begain her life as a digital idol in Japan. She's kind of a spiritial pre-curser to the Vocaloids. Studios were toying with the idea of replacing life talent with 3D and she appeared in music, Artbooks and even released a few album singles as I understand. She was ported to Poser by E-Frontier back before they sold Poser to Smith Micro. They sold the rights to use her in Poser, but kept the rights to the figure itself, so While Poser progressed, sadly her figure did not. Geometry wise, I have to say her facial expressions wer ahead of her time but because Poser chose not to purchase the rights to the Model and E-frontier went on with Shade, she kind of languished in an inescapeable Hell of null development. I actually started reasearching and collecting some of her old materials as I think they shouldn't have written her off like they did. I guess you could say she's my new hobby.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2018

Great job.  We will find out who the old Poser users were.  Tera Yuki was a wonderful figure in its day.  Reminds me of all those wonderful transmap hair products by Kazaburu (hope I remembered the name correctly).  I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new TY's adventures.

Here is a quick render with my old Tera Yuki.  Sorry for not cleaning up the shaders and materials.  Just wanted to join the fun.  

tera yuki tribute.jpg
    600 x 800 - 31K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2018

You did a magnificent job recreating Tera Yuki as part of Genesis 8.  I shoud have started with that.  yes

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I've been admiring the on-going work of an animator working in Poser to recount myths from ancient Greece.

https://youtu.be/Bw0UENe-P6I

I think his main female character in the video linked above is Terai Yuki.  Actually, the first I heard of the character was in the credits of a further video he's making (Orpheus & Eurydice) and I've been meaning to get some info on the character.  The store where it can be bought is changing hands and I wondered whether this might be the last chance to get it or whether it may turn out to be less expensive in future in the new store.

I also wondered whether there were fundamental problems with the character in Poser (which I use) which account for it seemingly being little used these days.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited August 2020

I liked TY and TY2 from their start, and learned how this stuff worked in DS, then Poser 6.   Took me a while to get it all down, but the results are worth the trouble.   TY2 is a fine little Figure, you did well getting it worked up as a character set for G8F!    What you are showing IS Terai Yuki 2, no matter what Figure the character set is for!

Would love to see that in G2F with PCF's!

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Wow, i didn't know there was so much to TY. Thanks for telling, and good work with recrations!

• Diomede said:

You did a magnificent job recreating Tera Yuki as part of Genesis 8.  I shoud have started with that.  yes

I fully agree. I still love TY2 and am now inspired to try this on my own - i'm curious if your recreation was done using other modeling software, or if this is a dial-spinner with Genesis 8. Either way she looks great

• gishzidagishzida Posts: 27

will2power said:

You probably wouldn't if you're not a history buff, or from Japan. Yuki's character actually started off in 2d in Kutsugi Kenichi's manga "Libido" which was published in 1997. (Don't quote me on the actual date though --her history isn't complete.) There was one figure that pre-dated her as a digital idol called Kyoko Date. Kutsugi then recreated his work in 3D and Yuki begain her life as a digital idol in Japan. She's kind of a spiritial pre-curser to the Vocaloids. Studios were toying with the idea of replacing life talent with 3D and she appeared in music, Artbooks and even released a few album singles as I understand. She was ported to Poser by E-Frontier back before they sold Poser to Smith Micro. They sold the rights to use her in Poser, but kept the rights to the figure itself, so While Poser progressed, sadly her figure did not. Geometry wise, I have to say her facial expressions wer ahead of her time but because Poser chose not to purchase the rights to the Model and E-frontier went on with Shade, she kind of languished in an inescapeable Hell of null development. I actually started reasearching and collecting some of her old materials as I think they shouldn't have written her off like they did. I guess you could say she's my new hobby.

So did you ever complet thr head morph? TY2 as far as I'm concerened is the only actual anime / manga character that has ever been produced which was "native" to Poser or DS -- Aiko and Sakura included. {I'm not including the characters that were "ripped" from video games since they were not actually Poser or DS models in the first place]

Any plans on releasing the morph?

• EAQSEAQS Posts: 6
    edited October 2021

Technology has advanced a lot lately and there are a few options out there for software (free and commercial) that can conform (or wrap) one figure around another and even transfer textures no matter the differences between UV layouts once both figures have been conformed:

One is the original TY2 and the other is G8, but you probably can't even tell the difference withouth a wireframe layout on top:

This adds a lot of possibilities to give life to old figures just as the morphs that DAZ included for older Genesis generations inside G3/G8.

I dont know about you but I really like how TY2 looks with the Aiko 8 skin ;-)

up.jpg
    down.jpg
    ty.jpg
    Post edited by EAQS on
  • EAQS said:

Technology has advanced a lot lately and there are a few options out there for software (free and commercial) that can conform (or wrap) one figure around another and even transfer textures no matter the differences between UV layouts once both figures have been conformed:

One is the original TY2 and the other is G8, but you probably can't even tell the difference withouth a wireframe layout on top:

This adds a lot of possibilities to give life to old figures just as the morphs that DAZ included for older Genesis generations inside G3/G8.

I dont know about you but I really like how TY2 looks with the Aiko 8 skin ;-)

Awesome !!  

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited November 2021

Not to be confused with Tuyuko1 which is now almost impossible to find. I still have her and she resembles TY2 a lot. Here is a render I did of her long ago.

Tuyuko1Daz.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 167K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • Hatsune MikuHatsune Miku Posts: 849
    edited November 2021

Terai Yuki has come a long way, she was considered the first VR pop idol in Japan back in 2000 here is some videos of her from back then.

She has her own TV show at around 6PM here in Taiwan.

Click pictures to see videos

Post edited by Hatsune Miku on
  •  

A render of mines using Carrara on Terai Yuki