Giving Credit

When an artists submit a product I think it would be a great idea for the to have to give credit to others when they use other artists models in their product images. The reason I suggest this is thus:

If I am looking at say a hair product and I happen to like the character thet the hair is modeled on I would like to go the the characters product page as I might be interested in purchasing it. This goes for many other products I have viewed and very few artists actuallt mention the other products they have used to generate their images.

Thanks you 

Stareagle

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2018

I agree with you. However, this idea has been suggested before and so far, little has been done to implement it. Reasons suggested include a) PAs are too busy to do this, b) it will not generate extra sales for the PA (unless they use their own products), c) DAZ would not benefit from advertising products from other companies.

If you really do want to know a specific product in a promo picture then you can submit a ticket to the help desk asking for this information. They have been helpful to me on a number of occasions in this regard. If they do not know, then they will ask the PA, which may or may not produce a positive outcome.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018

I often wonder the same thing when I look at the Gallery and see all the images posted there, by members, which do not show what has been used,  sometimes not even which program has been used to render the images. It is a lot easier to give credit in ones images in the Gallery, as there are built in tools, and automatic links to products from the Daz 3d store,  yet still people don't care to give credit to the vendors who have provided the content that they use to make the images. I always add the product credits to my gallery images, do you? and sometimes I do make quite complicated images, even though I use Bryce with Poser as a plug-in.to prepare my characters etc.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

For products, many PAs at least try.

The problem is when you start going over a dozen entries... it becomes a bit excessive.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

It seems like the best method is to ask on the forums. People here are super helpful when it comes to finding stuff, plus it can be fun. The infamous Floyd duck floatie thread was a hoot. I won't spoil the ending for you but everyone had fun and some new freebies were created in the process.

• Chohole said:

I often wonder the same thing when I look at the Gallery and see all the images posted there, by members, which do not show what has been used,  sometimes not even which program has been used to render the images. It is a lot easier to give credit in ones images in the Gallery, as there are built in tools, and automatic links to products from the Daz 3d store,  yet still people don't care to give credit to the vendors who have provided the content that they use to make the images. I always add the product credits to my gallery images, do you? and sometimes I do make quite complicated images, even though I use Bryce with Poser as a plug-in.to prepare my characters etc.

I am a complete beginner/amateur when it comes to 3D modelling. Usually, I use the Daz 3D gallery images as desktop wallpaper for my personal computer...and randomly rotate the images between ones found in the Gallery (ie one every half hour to hour). It doesn't matter to me if they are watermarked to identify the artist as long as the watermark doesn't completely ruin the art: I see them as signatures on paintings. If I was ever going to create fan-made content for a game I play, I would absolutely want to credit the original artist for their work, and in fact my preference would be that the artist themself create the content for the game if possible. Most Sims 4 fan-made content right now, for instance, is created using Blender and programs like Sims 4 Studio. But programs like Bryce 3D could be used to create a landscape that could be inserted into a wall painting mesh.   

• Patrick TynerPatrick Tyner Posts: 640
    edited November 2018

I agree with you. However, this idea has been suggested before and so far, little has been done to implement it. Reasons suggested include a) PAs are too busy to do this, b) it will not generate extra sales for the PA (unless they use their own products), c) DAZ would not benefit from advertising products from other companies.

If you really do want to know a specific product in a promo picture then you can submit a ticket to the help desk asking for this information. They have been helpful to me on a number of occasions in this regard. If they do not know, then they will ask the PA, which may or may not produce a positive outcome.

I think that the idea of giving credit not paying off unless it is the PA's own product is faulty thinking. I have hunted things down that I saw in an ad picture that caused me to want to buy it. The PA advertising giving the info produced a sale and bought my loyalty for not being too bothered and sharing the information and if the other PAs reciprocate this creates a circular effect that would drive purchasers back to them. Sometimes other artist with your products displaying them different than you would flags it differently in the consumer's mind. So working tandemly to share information will have a payoff effect if the PAs purposefully partner and make it common practice.
    Post edited by Patrick Tyner on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've also read that sometimes another person will make the promo images for the PA, so in fact the PA doesn't even know all the items used in the render.