Ancient lair/abode/dwelling

odasteinodastein Posts: 606
edited November 2018 in Product Suggestions

I've been searching for a place where some human-like but somehow mythical creature lives for a possibly long-running serie of pictures. I searched first for a product that would include both the outside and the inside of the building, but I failed to find any that I found fitting. So, even though the complete set would be my ideal, I'm now searching too for both a building exterior and for inside rooms that oculd more or less fit together.

What I'm searching more precisely :

- Something that could fit a fantasy/middle age setting, but not necessarily. Something that look a bit ancient would do perfectly, as long as there's nothing relatively modern in it (say nothing that looks like coming from the 19th/20th centuries)

-A place relatively large, but not too much. Large enough to include maybe 5-6 rooms, a ceiling, a basement... So neither a small peasant dwelling nor a manor or castle. Something the size of a large countryside house/farm, for instance.

- Something not remarkable, rather simple. Nothing that shouts magic, or weath, or art. No intricate stone carvings or marble floors, for instance. Both the outside and the inside rooms should look like it could be inhabited by any relatively random person

-For the outside : not part of town, village, or set of buildings. The place is in the middle of nowhere. Of course I assume that in most cases I could delete the other buildings, but I'd rather not have to do that every time. 

Unless (ideally) someone know about a complete outside/inside set, my priority would be to find the outside of the dwelling, since there are plenty of inside out there, and with time I'll probably be able to find suitable rooms. But I welcome ideas for rooms too. 

To give a general idea of what I'm after, some examples that were quite close but not exactly what I wanted :

https://www.daz3d.com/village-bedroom This village bedroom is quite close, but looks too "modern" (around 1900, maybe?)

https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-tower-bedroom This isn't bad, but too wealthy. Obviously, a lord is living here. 

https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-dinner-hall : the general look is the kind of thing I'm after. But it's a a large hall and I can't really make it into a house or a set of rooms

https://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-room-interior : same problem with this one. The general look is fine, but I can't really turn it into an uninhabited house.

https://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-interior : this one I might acutaly use, in fact.

Oh, and I'm searching for something that works with Iray!

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116

So maybe something Tolkien like?  Or something fairy tale like?  Or something more historical?

• Since one of your criteria is interior and exterior I'll mention The Armoury. It comes with plenty of props but they can be hidden. Tghe building itself has an olde English feel.  https://www.daz3d.com/the-armoury-by-merlin

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

So maybe something Tolkien like?  Or something fairy tale like?  Or something more historical?

Something more historical. For instance this : https://www.daz3d.com/fairy-haven is way too fairy-tale like (besides being too small). It could be a bit fantasy  like, but not too obviously so.

Since one of your criteria is interior and exterior I'll mention The Armoury. It comes with plenty of props but they can be hidden. Tghe building itself has an olde English feel.  https://www.daz3d.com/the-armoury-by-merlin

Thank you for the suggestion. But indeed it looks too much like a English town house. I can't really picture it as an isolated house in an unnamed countryside. 

• sberlinssberlins Posts: 128
    edited November 2018

Look for stuff by Dante78 on the other site.  He does Middle Ages structures and there are probably a couple that would be within your sphere of interest

Post edited by sberlins on
    edited November 2018
    sberlins said:

Look for stuff by Dante78 on the other site.  He does Middle Ages structures and there are probably a couple that would be within your sphere of interest

Yes, that's it. I can see either his alchemist shop or his manor as my lair. On top of it, it's very cheap especially considering all what is included. Thank you.

I had in fact already seen his stuff when I knew I would need this "lair" already. However, I didn't really check, it looked very rundown, and I didn't notice it was coming with the interiors. I can't say his stuff is presented in the way that attracts the eye and raises interest at first glance. But after looking at it closely, it's great.

However, I see that his files come as .OBJ. I don't even really know what an OBJ file is, and how I can use this in DAZ. 

Also, you mention "the other site", and I had already seen it called this way, but on the other hand, I've seen people mentioning it here by name, and even discuss opently the comparative advantages of both sites. So, what are the rules about mentioning or not competiting sites?

Post edited by odastein on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,959
    edited November 2018

I've had mixed results on other sites. Some of Rendo's sets work great within certain parameters, but then you'll find almost everything is on one material surface and hard to update.

My advice is to get one or two of a given vendor's items, then test them out before going hog wild.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    Oso3D said:

I've had mixed results on other sites. Some of Rendo's sets work great within certain parameters, but then you'll find almost everything is on one material surface and hard to update.

My advice is to get one or two of a given vendor's items, then test them out before going hog wild.

Well, in this case, that exactly what I intend to do, since I only need one of his items. And as I said, anyway, it's really cheap for what it is. But I'm still not sure about the .obj part. 

• sberlinssberlins Posts: 128

Daz lets you import .obj files rather easily.

• odastein said:
    Oso3D said:

Well, in this case, that exactly what I intend to do, since I only need one of his items. And as I said, anyway, it's really cheap for what it is. But I'm still not sure about the .obj part. 

You should not have a problem,  Daz Studio can open Poser files like pp2  the challenge will be tweaking the textures to render in DazStudio.

[snip]

-Interior included !!
    -Include textures,bump,normal, specular and opacity's maps !!
    -Available for Poser7 and up in .pp2 !!
    -Available for other software in .obj !!

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Another option would be to use Mclean's room creator for the interior and just use stone/brick textures for the floors/walls/ceilings that you find fitting.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018
    odastein said:
    sberlins said:

Yes, that's it. I can see either his alchemist shop or his manor as my lair. On top of it, it's very cheap especially considering all what is included. Thank you.

I had in fact already seen his stuff when I knew I would need this "lair" already. However, I didn't really check, it looked very rundown, and I didn't notice it was coming with the interiors. I can't say his stuff is presented in the way that attracts the eye and raises interest at first glance. But after looking at it closely, it's great.

However, I see that his files come as .OBJ. I don't even really know what an OBJ file is, and how I can use this in DAZ. 

Also, you mention "the other site", and I had already seen it called this way, but on the other hand, I've seen people mentioning it here by name, and even discuss opently the comparative advantages of both sites. So, what are the rules about mentioning or not competiting sites?

There are no rules about not mentioning other sites.  We even allow links to other sites, as long as it is in response to a genuine question.  What is not allowed is unsolicited links to other sites.or mentions that are obviously shill-ing

Oh and of course, no links at all to sites which carry adult content, like renderotica.  mentions are ok but never, ever a link

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116
    Chohole said:
    odastein said:
    sberlins said:

There are no rules about not mentioning other sites.  We even allow links to other sites, as long as it is in response to a genuine question.  What is not allowed is unsolicited links to other sites.or mentions that are obviously shill-ing

Oh and of course, no links at all to sites which carry adult content, like renderotica.  mentions are ok but never, ever a link

So I cannot post a link to a torture chamber at renderotica if anyone asked, but tell them it is at renderotica?  If someone asked for a particular dress in a render that is found at renderosity then I can post the link?  But if I am selling a texture set for a certain hair and no one asks, I cannot post the link here.  All this “other store” stuff is confusing, as which store are they talking about?