impossible to Load .3ds

JamyJamy Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

it's impossible for me to load .3ds files. It was easy with Carrara 8.1, but now I can't open or load 3ds with 8.5 !

A new bug ?

Comments

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited December 1969

What? And here I thought all the import features were fixed.I don't have a computer at the moment as my render machine died on me last week, I will pickup my new motherboard and ram later today at UPS.

If anyone can replicate this and report here I would really like to know, as well.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hi,

it's impossible for me to load .3ds files. It was easy with Carrara 8.1, but now I can't open or load 3ds with 8.5 !

A new bug ?

import works for me - just did 2 models .

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hi,

A new bug ?

Works for me too. I had two .3ds available to me to test with and they both open up in 8.5 just fine.

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

Is it a Mac problem (OS 10.6) ?

I sent a request, waiting for the answer now.

edited December 1969

Is it a Mac problem (OS 10.6) ?

I sent a request, waiting for the answer now.

FYI... using 10.8.4 here.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I have to ask. no offense intended here, but is it Pro or Standard? Pro has more import options than Standard.

• 1MoreThreadDeleted1MoreThreadDeleted Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Funny his would come up. I too had problems with .3ds import last night. I jumped over to Carrara 7 and it had the same problem. So it was not 8.5 just crappy .3ds files.

I also tried Hexagon and it work but the files were a mess.

edited December 1969

Muphasa said:
    Funny his would come up. I too had problems with .3ds import last night. I jumped over to Carrara 7 and it had the same problem. So it was not 8.5 just crappy .3ds files.

I also tried Hexagon and it work but the files were a mess.

Maybe it's a problem with my MAC, but it's not a problem with the .3ds.
    I've try open the same .3ds with Carrara 8.1 and all is perfect so, for me on my computer i'ts a bug with 8.5 !

I'ts a Pro version

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

can you save it as a carrara file and open it in C8.5?
    not solving the "bug" but may be helpful for your use.

edited December 1969

Yes, If I open a .3ds with Carrara 8.1, I can open it then in Carrara 8.5.

But it's not a good way to work.
    (but I don't often need to open .3ds)

edited December 1969

Actually, what Wendy suggested is a perfectly fine way to work. The only way in fact. Open the .3ds in 8.1, save as a .car and then open the .car in 8.5.

If you were able to open the .3ds in 8.5 directly you'd end up saving it as a .car either way. If you need to export it to another format, you can do that too.

edited December 1969

Actually, what Wendy suggested is a perfectly fine way to work. The only way in fact. Open the .3ds in 8.1, save as a .car and then open the .car in 8.5.

If you were able to open the .3ds in 8.5 directly you'd end up saving it as a .car either way. If you need to export it to another format, you can do that too.

thank you for all the help. I can work with 8.1 and 8.5 but a file created in 8.5 will lose data if I open it in 8.1

edited December 1969

The best way will to fix this bug :/

edited December 1969

thank you for all the help. I can work with 8.1 and 8.5 but a file created in 8.5 will lose data if I open it in 8.1

Once you open it in 8.5 there's no reason to open it in 8.1 again so, no data loss.

If the .3ds opens perfectly in 8.1 then open it in 8.1 and save it as a .car file. Once it's in the .car format you should be able to open it in 8.5 with no problem as it will now be in the native format.

Once you've successfully opened the .car in 8.5 there's no reason to open it in 8.1 again.

edited December 1969

This bug is fixed !

it was the "3DSFileFormatFR.txt" wich was bad.

I've just change it and it's perfect now, I could export and load 3DS files.

Big thanks to Kraig Hausmann and Daz :)