In case anyone's still stuck on Poser 8...Poser 9 is cheap right now.

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited September 2013 in Poser Discussion

Greetings,
I got this in my email this morning. Poser 9 for $29.97 (download only). Wish it were 2012 and 64 bit, but at least it has weight-mapping, right? And it's a hell of a price.

Have fun!

-- Morgan

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up, I was still on Poser6.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
    edited December 1969

This is not the current version, but if you don't have Poser its well worth the price. I already own it, and even though I don't use it, I always link the large Runtime to my Carrara browser. I find Carrara much better for large scenes, but Poser content works seamlessly in C 8.1.

They are also selling older version of Anime Studio and Manga Studio fo the same price, or all three for $50.

http://tinyurl.com/oq3bdwb

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Poser forum, and then merged with the existing thread.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,005
    edited December 1969

Any chance this could be moved to the Commons instead? a lot of people may have never tried Poser but for this price it's well worth it - and version 9 can use DSON with Genesis so there may be a lot of DS-only people who would benefit from knowing about it.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

It was in my basket at £32.20
    Exchange rate currently @ 1.57. So it would cost me $50.55. Strange marketing towards UK customers!
    One less sale.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

It was in my basket at £32.20
    Exchange rate currently @ 1.57. So it would cost me $50.55. Strange marketing towards UK customers!
    One less sale.

Are you sure that wasn't the bundle, as we are seeing the UK price as £21.12 and the european price as €25.03 for Poser.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited September 2013

Not that I'm aware of. I clicked the top link, but had previously visited and looked at the bundle from the other link before it was moved.

Tried again.
    For some reason it flipped to bundle.(maybe one of my Firefox plugins was doing something - security or location plugins)
    Changed to IE. Goes through at £21.12 plus VAT @ £4.22 Total £25.34 ($39.78)

Strange.

I'll probably buy it at that price anyway.

/ edit : Just bought it. Downloading now. Thanks for the heads up.

Post edited by none01ohone on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I've purchased, installed, and registered and the darn thing won't open for me. Keeps crashing while the UI is trying to load. I've submitted a ticket, but I'm really aggravated that I couldn't solve it myself. Even tried compatibility modes, reinstalling, run as administrator, updated my drivers and Flash. Just can't get it.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I've purchased, installed, and registered and the darn thing won't open for me. Keeps crashing while the UI is trying to load. I've submitted a ticket, but I'm really aggravated that I couldn't solve it myself. Even tried compatibility modes, reinstalling, run as administrator, updated my drivers and Flash. Just can't get it.

Did you download and install the support files? I have PP2012 and 2014, so I'm not sure if the same is true for 9, but I had to download both the primary Poser install as well as support files. I used the SM Download Manager for both.
    edited December 1969

If you are referring to the different installer files for people, animals, environments, etc. then yes, I did download them. Basically, I downloaded and installed everything that was provided. I think it may be a hardware issue, although Poser 8 works fine on my computer, and the other two programs that were available with this as a bundle installed and run just fine.

I am installing Poser 9 on my laptop as we speak to see if it loads on there. If so, then it must be hardware related.

edited December 1969

Poser support files are separate, but if you downloaded everything that was given, then you should've gotten them. Sorry, that was my only idea as I'm new to Poser myself.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know how long this offer will last? My payday is in 2 days.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2013

End of the month - offer ends 30th.

( Was any other email recipient a bit dubious when the email link didn't take you to the Smith Micro site ?
    Luckily somebody else seems to have proved that the link's genuine... ;-) )

offer.jpg
    649 x 419 - 125K
    Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

By the way: if you get it, remember P9 is at SR3.1 - get it and install it before you are kicking your computer in frustration ... ;)
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser9-updates.html

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    By the way: if you get it, remember P9 is at SR3.1 - get it and install it before you are kicking your computer in frustration ... ;)

Thanks. I did install the SR3.1 update, but it didn't help in my case. I've got support at SM working with me now.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Kerya said:

Thanks. I did install the SR3.1 update, but it didn't help in my case. I've got support at SM working with me now.

I've heard of issues with Poser if Chrome is running; I don't know if that was resolved...

edited December 1969

Installed onto my Win8 PC into the x86 programs file directory inc Runtime content. Seems to run OK. Rendered a few test scenes OK.
    Bought it mainly for the content, as I've recently bought Carrara 8.5. Funds are low at the mo, but a bargain's a bargain.

I'd probably have bought the bundle if it was an honest conversion from $50.

@Chohole: Thanks for posting the correct price, I may not have gone back to the site otherwise.:)
    I thought that tinyurl link was dubious at the time.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I wonder where I can actually get some information what these 3 packs contain? I see only the newest versions (Anime Studio 9, Manga Studio 5 and Poser 10) everywhere on their website. Even if I try to google it, the link that seems to be for Poser 9 leads to Poser 10...

edited December 1969

@ Slosh

Must admit, when I installed it first I noticed that it wanted to bootstrap all the other content .exe's. I mistakenly used winrar options to extract into directories (habit), doh!! Had to uninstall and drag the content into one file then reinstall. The fact that it ran is a bonus, don't know about reliability though, not used it for long enough. (didn't even mess about with compatibility settings)

Best of luck in getting it working.

PS. Damn windows tiles, I hate them!!!! Hate Hate Hate.
    I don't want to dance the funky chicken just to change the tv channel or move a tile.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I wonder where I can actually get some information what these 3 packs contain? I see only the newest versions (Anime Studio 9, Manga Studio 5 and Poser 10) everywhere on their website. Even if I try to google it, the link that seems to be for Poser 9 leads to Poser 10...

Feature comparison chart includes poser 9, scroll down
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/

Similar for Manga studio including version 4
    http://manga.smithmicro.com/comparison.html

Haven't found anything for anime studio 8 yet.

edited December 1969

The ad is now showing up on RDNA's main page. Here's the link it goes to:
    http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/smithmicro/20130910/index-web.html

WandW said:
    Slosh said:
    Kerya said:

I've heard of issues with Poser if Chrome is running; I don't know if that was resolved...

It should've been. I've ran both PP2012 and 2014 with Chrome running and haven't had any issues so far.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited September 2013

using Windows 7 - try to install the files that come with Poser 9 - keeps telling me can't find Poser
    can some one please help me .

edit to add - Poser works fine .

Post edited by bigh on
    edited September 2013

bigh said:
    using Windows 7 - try to install the files that come with Poser 9 - keeps telling me can't find Poser

Where is Poser installed and which files that come with it? There are a lot. The support files or the content files (figures/props/clothing/etc).
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    bigh said:

Where is Poser installed and which files that come with it? There are a lot. The support files or the content files (figures/props/clothing/etc).

on C - Poser
    content - Cartoon , Hair , so on

edited September 2013

When you run the installers, are you selecting the external runtime option? You need to do this if you set your runtime to something other than default during Poser's installation.

I personally didn't have this issue using an external runtime for Poser's default content. I've read that the error can crop up with older Daz installers, though.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Excuse me - are those the zips with the Poser9 default content?

Windows: Please unpack all the downloaded archives and place them into one directory. Run the "Install Poser 9.exe" and select your desired content packs during the installation process.

edited December 1969

thanks guys - boy to be 65 again :roll:

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577
    edited December 1969

How many here use Manga Studio? I'm looking for good software to illustrate a children's book. Would this work well? How about Anime Studio? Are there any other programs that are good for illustrating that are at such a nice price?

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

So if I buy Poser 9 now does that mean I would qualify for a side grade to pro2014?
    because I think that knocks $200 of it's normal price, which would be pretty nice.

How well does Genesis import into Poser these days anyway? (the latest not necessarily poser 9)
    Is there a noticeable difference between Daz studio & Poser in limb deformation and that sort of thing?

How many here use Manga Studio? I’m looking for good software to illustrate a children’s book. Would this work well? How about Anime Studio? Are there any other programs that are good for illustrating that are at such a nice price?

I own both Manga studio & Anime studio.
    I don't think Anime studio would be very good for illustrating a children's book it's very tailored towards creating bone based 2d animation, although I have used it to create cel shaded cartoon images. Manga Studio would probably be much better suited for it. Inking feels really natural with it but if you own Photoshop & don't plan on creating comics there is a chance you might end up feeling that inking is about all it's really useful for. But that's just my personal take.

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
    edited December 1969

I'd assume it's eligible as it's a SM sale. I bought PP2012 from Amazon and still qualified for the upgrade pricing to 2014 on SM's site.