replicate anything glows object??

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I know standard distance lights can be replicated and retain their lighting attributes. I am trying to replicate a vertex object that I have used anything glows on, but the replicated objects do not cast light. Is there a setting I am missing? Or, does anything glows not work that way?

In the attached image, the embers below the logs in the fireplace are replications of a morphed sphere with anything glows attached. The original object is glowing and casting light below the scene, but its replications in the fireplace (below the logs) glow, but do not cast light. The light is coming from the flames, which I have also attached anything glows to.

Thanks in advance. I posted this in a more general Daz thread but got no reply.

WIP_Fireplace_Beginners_contest_Mood_Light.jpg
800 x 600 - 25K

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

greetings diomede64 :)

ahh I think anything glows is finicky and one of its rules is that the anything glows object must have a unique name in a scene, so eg if you have two models named Rex and you set "Rex" as the anything glows object then nothing will happen (?)

so if you are replicating an anything glows object then maybe it isn't working because of this rule?

you could replicate the object then turn it into real instances then group them then export the group as an obj then import it as one obj , then make that an anything glows object and use facettes? could work, sorry don't have carrara here at mo

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I cannot be certain as I'm not a huge fan of Anything Glows just yet. But I think that it may be coming from the fact that Anything Glows, I believe, is a command that applies to a mesh, and it cannot look inside of a replicator to see an instance as a mesh, as you still only have one, physical mesh. If that makes any sense. I think I recall owning a product which uses this, however. Perhaps it works right if you click the "Create" button inside the replicator to turn those instances into meshes? Try it once - after a save, of course ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

ahh I think anything glows is finicky and one of its rules is that the anything glows object must have a unique name in a scene, so eg if you have two models named Rex and you set "Rex" as the anything glows object then nothing will happen (?)

so if you are replicating an anything glows object then maybe it isn't working because of this rule?

you could replicate the object then turn it into real instances then group them then export the group as an obj then import it as one obj , then make that an anything glows object and use facettes? could work, sorry don't have carrara here at mo

Fancy cross-posting into you here, buddy! How's it going in the big down under, eh? Argh I need to find some Carrara time... I really do!
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I know standard distance lights can be replicated and retain their lighting attributes. I am trying to replicate a vertex object that I have used anything glows on, but the replicated objects do not cast light. Is there a setting I am missing? Or, does anything glows not work that way?

In the attached image, the embers below the logs in the fireplace are replications of a morphed sphere with anything glows attached. The original object is glowing and casting light below the scene, but its replications in the fireplace (below the logs) glow, but do not cast light. The light is coming from the flames, which I have also attached anything glows to.

Thanks in advance. I posted this in a more general Daz thread but got no reply.

As far as I know there is no way to replicate anything glows. Anything glows needs a hard reference to the instance of the object being used for the glow and the replicated objects don't have instances as such, the instances are obscured by the single replicator instance.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Fancy cross-posting into you here, buddy! How's it going in the big down under, eh? Argh I need to find some Carrara time... I really do!

hey, well I have nearly finisehed 150 images for a book..... fingers crossed, so working my where the legs join part off!

oh sometimes I use anything glows as a fill light
    make your rendering camera the anything glows object
    change the thingy from 33 feet to 400 and make it bright orange
    this shows you what its lighting up
    then fine tune it :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll try a different approach.

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited September 2013

head wax said:
    greetings diomede64 :) oh sometimes I use anything glows as a fill light

LOVE the idea of using the camera as a anything glows fill light.
    Never though of that.
    Thanks

Post edited by Box8068_31c338ee4b on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

hey, well I have nearly finisehed 150 images for a book..... fingers crossed, so working my where the legs join part off!

oh sometimes I use anything glows as a fill light
    change the thingy from 33 feet to 400 and make it bright orange
    this shows you what its lighting up

Holy crap, that's brilliant! Never knew you could do that, (but why not? camera's have bounding boxes like anything else in a scene after all). Tremendously useful tip, headwax, thank you very much! I use anything glows quite a bit, as it is IMO the most realistic light in Carrara, and there are tons you can do with it.

Also congrats on getting so close to completion on the book :)

edited December 1969

8086 et JonStark, glad that is of use. It was not my idea, I read it here on the forum many moons ago. It's a good technique for separating foreground from distance. The other thing I have been experimenting with is a series of vertical planes that recede into the distance with an alpha of eg 10 percent. They dim the distance and also add strange effects with the lights that might come in handy? turned off cast and recieve shadows thou. cheers :)
    Ps thanks for the congrats JonStark. I finished trhe last image this morn and now I have to go and start the post work ..... to make them all 'sit' together. ...... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :) should be fun