Bryce 7.1 and Carrara 8.5 compatibility?

FetitoFetito Posts: 481
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello! What about Bryce 7.1 and Carrara 8.5 compatibility? Can I export/import stuff between both applications?

Anyone has experiences with this?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hello! What about Bryce 7.1 and Carrara 8.5 compatibility? Can I export/import stuff between both applications?

like what ?
    you can use obj .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

dr_bernie, I was just going to post those same videos... great call. The Cripeman is here to save us all!!!

For more Cripeman life saving events:
    Cripeman's Carrara Video Tutorials Index
    Carrara Community's very own Super Hero takes plenty of time from his busy life to
    explore many exciting features of this amazing 3d content manipulation, modeling and animation suite

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I recently needed to use a Bryce object (a ship) I downloaded from a free 3D site into a Carrara scene. The original file was an .OBP format.

To get the object into Carrara, I had to load the .OBP file into Bryce 7.1, save it as an .OBJ file, and then import it into Carrara. Unfortunately, one of the conversions messed up the object, and what I ended up in Carrara was horrific UV maps and other problems that I spent hours correcting (and improving) in Carrara.

I searched the internet and found no simpler (or better) way to import .OBP files into Carrara, which I find a bit odd since Carrara is supposed to offer so much compatibility with DAZ products.

If anyone has found a good way to import .OBP files into Carrara, *I* for one would like to know about it!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

I recently needed to use a Bryce object (a ship) I downloaded from a free 3D site into a Carrara scene. The original file was an .OBP format.

To get the object into Carrara, I had to load the .OBP file into Bryce 7.1, save it as an .OBJ file, and then import it into Carrara. Unfortunately, one of the conversions messed up the object, and what I ended up in Carrara was horrific UV maps and other problems that I spent hours correcting (and improving) in Carrara.

I searched the internet and found no simpler (or better) way to import .OBP files into Carrara, which I find a bit odd since Carrara is supposed to offer so much compatibility with DAZ products.

If anyone has found a good way to import .OBP files into Carrara, *I* for one would like to know about it!

It very much depends on how the OBP was made. If it was a conglomeration of Bryce Primitives and boolean operations then it will be extremely difficult to prepare it in a way as to facilitate it's import into any other program. You would need to ask in the Bryce forum and someone there will be able to tell you if this can be done. It certainly will need some preparation in Bryce, rather than a simple export, but as it is something I have never done I can't advise you so well as others can in the Bryce forum. Also do remember that Bryce OBPs include all the textures for the model, which will include those generated by the DTE, which will not work in Carrara.

Post edited by Chohole on