Message in a bottle - putting stuff inside a glass prop say

2»

Comments

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Aside from the circle-completion and smoothing issues, I'm also having a bit of trouble understanding transparency and glossiness (or having a glassy surface) in general.

Most renders continue to be a surprise. In the next one I lowered the light to almost the level of the plane. Result = a night sky almost as the puddle picked up the reflection and/or ambience of the cobblestones shader. And the puddle stayed opaque, almost like spilled milk.

Ok, it just now occurred to me to try some sort of interpolated (?) circle, and from there I'll try and warp some of the... edges to make a sort of irregular or amoeboid (?) shape.

Btw, using Bend on a cylinder is ok but trying to Bend a spherical object does wild things! laugh

Ascania said:
    Just weld the points together.

I'm trying to take some of these functions at face value, but most of the time the result is a surprise that I don't understand.

I can see where being able to... join two objects together would be a useful skill.

I suppose I ought to start out with a simpler shape -- like two cubes where each has one face missing -- but water in a bottle that's lying on its side would be sort of like a pill capsule cut lengthwise so I thought I'd try that shape (a pill cut in half). Ok, selected all of the facing points, but for whatever reason they don't weld. Or perhaps they do, or maybe I need to use a mouse and not the touchpad but this seems to be another feature or function where I'm not doing something correctly, only I can't seem to figure out what it is.

I named the two capsule sections with a "1" and a "2" respectively, and since they wouldn't weld I tried some other stuff: bridge, close, and connect. I believe that with the latter function ("Connect") the result was that a new object called Form0 was created and the result is in a way sort of what I wanted - except that the "air space" between the capsule halves was preserved! Huh???

I realize this latest "surprise result" could be useful (like if you had a model of an astronaut floating outside the space ship during an EVA) but...

????

weld-points.jpg
    1024 x 915 - 430K
    other-functions-do-not-appear-logical.jpg
    1024 x 590 - 249K
  • I don't know if you can weld objects that don't have their geometry collapsed.

I think Johnny or Handyman just mentioned something similar, eg. when you cross certain bridges in the modelling process there is no going back unless you have sort of "created a Restore Point" by saving as a numbered work file, before proceeding.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Roman_K2 said:
    Ascania said:

I named the two capsule sections with a "1" and a "2" respectively, and since they wouldn't weld I tried some other stuff: bridge, close, and connect. I believe that with the latter function ("Connect") the result was that a new object called Form0 was created and the result is in a way sort of what I wanted - except that the "air space" between the capsule halves was preserved! Huh???

I realize this latest "surprise result" could be useful (like if you had a model of an astronaut floating outside the space ship during an EVA) but...

????

Shawn is right that Welding points doesn't work when you have two separate objects. Weld, Average Weld, Target Weld, etc. only work when the points you're trying to merge are in a single mesh.

With the two objects selected, Connect made the two object meshes into a single object. This is the same as using the Weld Objects command. It's useful when you've separately modeled a couple of meshes that in the end you want to have be part of a single object. As you saw, it does not automatically "fix" any gaps in the mesh. After all, you may be planning to do your own extruding and bridging of the two so it leaves it up to you.

Once they were recognized as a single object, you could have then selected each of the circular edges and chosen Average Weld to pull them together or Bridge to create a new ring of surfaces between the two open circles. This would have closed the object for you.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839
    JonnyRay said:
    Roman_K2 said:
    Ascania said:

????

Shawn is right that Welding points doesn't work when you have two separate objects. Weld, Average Weld, Target Weld, etc. only work when the points you're trying to merge are in a single mesh.

Althugh, when trying to weld points of to separate objects the tool will combine them into one on the first try. After that it will behave as expected.

Thank you. I will go back and try it again very slowly, to see what Average Weld and Bridge feel like.

I am indeed *very* interested in smooth connections -- and from there, surfaces -- especially when the shader will be glossy metallic say as opposed to rough leather or burlap where gaps would be easier to hide. Interesting gaps and irregularities can be nice but I'd like to be in charge if at all possible, ergo no surprises.