Light Issues

DoomsdayEWFDoomsdayEWF Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a few issues with lights.

1) for some reason at time DAZ will stop showing new lights, I am creating a night scene so there are several small lights here and there from windows, lamps, etc. None of them are very powerful lights and from time to time I will create new point lights and nothing, I have to turn ALL the other lights off for the new light to show, any ideas?

2) When I go to render, using 3Delight the render has almost nothing in the way of light but my screen and preview render are perfectly how I want them

Comments

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985
    edited September 2013

Not sure about Studio but Poser has a similar problem when you reach a certain light count the whole scene will go dark due to the over abundance of lights.. If I remember right when you hit about ten lights (in Poser) any light added after that will make the scene go dark because you would have too many lights on.. The lights will show when you render but while working it can be a bit of a hassle..

The only what around it is to turn some off till the scene becomes brighter again or only use lights where you need them but remember to turn them on again before you render..

Again not sure what the critical tipping point for light count is in Studio..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2013

You're hitting the built-in hardware limit of your graphics card (which controls the Viewport and any preview renders you do). Eight lights is your limit, any extra lights you add after that will not show until you do a non-preview render.

This, though, is different:

2) When I go to render, using 3Delight the render has almost nothing in the way of light but my screen and preview render are perfectly how I want them

Have you checked by looking through each light to make sure you don't have any lights embedded in the scenery or with walls blocking the light path towards visible-on-camera objects? Lighting can sometimes be very different between preview and 3Delight render, but what you describe is different — can you post preview and render pics?

Just noticed you were adding point lights. These are very faint and short-ranged by default, you have to crank the intensity setting way up (but be careful not to wash out nearby objects).

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • DoomsdayEWFDoomsdayEWF Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just noticed you were adding point lights. These are very faint and short-ranged by default, you have to crank the intensity setting way up (but be careful not to wash out nearby objects).

I can as soon as I finish with the assets, I will post no light, preview render and 3dlight render.

As for being embedded, the only objects that my lights are embedded with are things like flames and the like, which have low trans and cast no shadows. The problem is that the render is darker than the preview so I am creating a second version and going light-by-light and changing them from effect in render so the preview is not so well light but render looks good.

Still learning :)

• DoomsdayCMDoomsdayCM Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

8 is the max OpenGL (In DAZ3D) can support in preview at one time. As stated above you will have to turn lights on/off to edit more than 8 and see it's effect.

As for the render issue, each of the setting for render read light differently by number of passes and detail, higher number of passes usually gets better results but not always matching your preview. Only thing you can do is play with the lights and see its effect in render.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

The Total number of lights in the DAZ Studio Viewport is a function of the GPU installed on the PC. In the past the maximum was 8 and at this time I think that is still the Maximum. If the PC's GPU only supports 4 lights that will be all the Viewport will show at any one time. All this has been covered above. What has not been covered is the Viewport OpenGL lighting is 100% different in many ways from the 3DeLight Render engine lights. Not only are shadows, bump and displacement different but most if not all shaders fail. All Shader based lighting, Uber Environment, Uber Area, and the others fail, not only that, but all the advanced texture shaders fail. SSS, Depth of Field, Uber Surface, pwEffects and many others I'll not bother to list. The only true way to see what you have done in DS is a full render or a Spot Render. Then you know what the image will look like and can adjust the things that do not please you.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here are the versions... Unlit "Preview" render, Hardware Acc, Hardware Acc with Script and 3DLight

Finished_Prev.png
    1278 x 569 - 891K
    Finished_HAR.png
    1278 x 569 - 530K
    Finished_HAR+.png
    1278 x 569 - 190K
    Finished_.png
    1278 x 569 - 530K
    edited December 1969

Your Ambient, fill light, Is set way to high. You need to learn to adjust the Light settings in the Parameters Tab for Standard lights and in the Surfaces Tab for Uber based lights. Tip: Lighting in 3D graphix is the hardest thing to learn when you start. I know it took me months to get that AH HA for some of the harder types of lights.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Did those attached pics get scrambled? The file names I get when I hover the mouse don't match the order you've described them in. Am I right in saying the bottom one is the preview, and the top one is the full 3Delight render?

(It's been a long-standing problem ever since the new forums were fixed enough to allow image attachments — the order you attach things in won't necessarily match the order they appear in on the page.)

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Lighting night scenes also still troubles me. Could you recommend me a good tutorial on that? Thank you!

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

Patrick: if you have the pennies, Val Cameron, aka Dreamlight has tutorials on 3D lighting

Edward

edited September 2013

Did those attached pics get scrambled? The file names I get when I hover the mouse don't match the order you've described them in. Am I right in saying the bottom one is the preview, and the top one is the full 3Delight render?

(It's been a long-standing problem ever since the new forums were fixed enough to allow image attachments — the order you attach things in won't necessarily match the order they appear in on the page.)

Yes, this was my first time uploading pics.

Uber light? I assume you mean the distance light, if so I didn't use one, I just used point and spot lights, is this perhaps the problem?

Post edited by DoomsdayCM on
    edited December 1969

PS I am new to this, please use Noob speak, lol

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

PS I am new to this, please use Noob speak, lol

We do have a New Users Help Forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/97/ and the people who help mmembers there are used to dealing with New users. Would you like me to move this thread over there?

edited December 1969

Okay, If the FILL light is a distant Light that is the place to start. Select that light in your Scene Tab. Now open the Parameters Tab and look for the LIGHT setting, the distant Light (all created lights) will load into your scene at 100% which should be Half on the Dial or Slider, I call them Dials. You can lower that setting to reduce the strength of the light it adds to your scene. All the lights in your image need to be adjusted to get the effect you expect. Just loading or adding a light will put it in the scene at default settings. It is then up to you to adjust them to get that Final image to look the way you want it. That means lots of test renders and adjusting things or lots of Spot Renders and adjusting things. Nothing in 3D art is load and auto Render perfect unless the File says it is Made for that. Like Some Ready to Render sets from DAZ 3D.