Animations for Second Life

I use Daz studio for a game called Second Life. Daz is amazing. I've done what I can to learn what it takes to animate for Second Life. I also teach how to use the software and ahve turned many people onto Daz studio.  However, Second Life came out with a new way to animate avatars. It is called "Bento" It is extra bones that allows you to animate fingers, hands, and faces. The hands and heads are made of a mesh. So we can make avatar smile, hold a cup, raise an eyebrow, or point at something. The trouble is, there isn't a lot of software out there to animate for Bento. Easy to use software is even more difficult.

Is there a way to add extra bones to an imported mesh avatar? (not the standard gensis charcter.) Is there a way we can animate for the face and hands as well? If there is some kind of online tutorial, please share it.

Comments

• I would think just as you use the SL Avatar in Studio to make animations for SL, you would import the Bento rig to do the same. If Bento does not work in Studio, there is a Blender addon called Avastar set up to work with regular or Bento rigs. You can look it up or find it inworld at Jass Island.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,095
    edited November 2018

I've been using Second Life on a daily basis since December 2007, and nearly a decade after my Second Life debut, i got into DAZ Studio.  It may seem like Second Life helps pave the way for developing a new hobby in DAZ Studio.

I don't plan on retiring from Second Life - I will when it reaches its demise, and thankfully there is no end in sight.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • You can't use Daz3D or Renderosity products in Second Life at all.

• I would think just as you use the SL Avatar in Studio to make animations for SL, you would import the Bento rig to do the same. If Bento does not work in Studio, there is a Blender addon called Avastar set up to work with regular or Bento rigs. You can look it up or find it inworld at Jass Island.

Where do I get the Bento rig? That's the part I'm missing.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

You can't use Daz3D or Renderosity products in Second Life at all.

That is what I thought also. Surprised we are even having this conversation. If all the user is doing is using 2D images then that is fine, but 3d mesh is not permitted in the SL environment