Windows font size causes Carrara 8.5 to resize the UI

FetitoFetito Posts: 481
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Help!

I use Windows 8 and I have to use a 150% font-size, because otherwise all Windows text, icons, etc... are way too small. In case that this affects the UI of my programs, I usually disable this function for each program in the compatibility tab.

Here is an example of my DXdiag:

User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Unfortunately, the compatibility option is grayed out for Carrara 8.5. As a result, its UI is WAY TOO BIG. Also the rendered images are shown with 150 DPI scale.

Is there a way to force Carrara to avoid the DPI settings?

Comments

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

In case that someone else needs also help on this:

Copy the following text into a text file called "carrara.reg" and run it as admin. This resolves the DPI issue:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Program Files\\DAZ 3D\\Carrara8.5\\Carrara.exe"="~ HIGHDPIAWARE"

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

So Cool! Thanks for this tip!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hopefully, someone can explain this to a non-geek type!

Just this week I got a new puter, 64 bit, with Win7 installed. The recommended screen resolution is 1280 X 1024 - anything lower and I get a letter-box effect on the screen. Most apps are OK with this, including Hexagon, but the font sizes in Carrara and Daz Studio are minuscule. There is no way to change font sizes, so I'll either end up squint or have to temporarily lower the screen resolution while working with them - bit of a bummer.

So, is there any method around this - does the above perhaps describe the solution?

Cheers :)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hey, thanks a lot :) I've only been using Win7 for a couple of days after years of XP, so still have a lot to figure out :)

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Huzzah!

PS: In Windows 8 you have to force Carrara to use other DPI sizes through the registry.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I have voiced my concern about the (ahem! obsolete) Carrara UI and text sizes, especially when displayed on modern high resolution IPS monitors, and so have many others.

Your solution appears promising, so I will have a go at this when my weekend hits. Thank you for sharing your "can do" solution!