Carrara damage and can't open corrupted compressed .car file

GipsGips Posts: 44
edited November 2018 in Carrara Discussion

I use an external HDD(esata interface) to store files, to save space I use file compression. I close Carrara and use a safely remove to eject HDD but some files are damaged when next opened. Disk and file system - OK.

Its possible to recover my files?

Post edited by Gips on

Comments

• GipsGips Posts: 44

Capture1.PNG
    599 x 486 - 29K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

I use an external HDD(esata interface) to store files, to save space I use file compression. I close Carrara and use a safely remove to eject HDD but some files are damaged when next opened. Disk and file system - OK.

Its possible to recover my files?

there have been some people playing with a text editor that can open very large files - if you have a serch you can pick up some educated guesses.

I have had no sucess.

Most common cause of error is

Car file over 4 gig 

Saving when closing when Carrara says 'do you want to save this file?'

Lastly, when you are close to running out of disc space, Carrara will just pretend to save the file and cut it off mid stream.

You might think yyou have enough space but other software eg PS elements can use a lot as cache and catch you out

good luck

Thanks for answer Headwax_Carrara

All files 50...200MB, both disk have enough space for saving (external HDD) and for cache (SSD) , I can decommpress file manually with WINRAR or 7ZIP without error, but Carrrara anyway show error message or stop working. Early I had problem with Carrara6 compessed file, but after a while I could open it in Carrara8.5 

I think I'll have to wait Carrara 9 Carrara X

Saving when closing when Carrara says 'do you want to save this file?'

Manual or when close, anyway 

• as I suggested just now in the Genesis thread, grouping and saving subsets by using export to car file often helps preserve parts of scenes in smaller chunks.

• I've had this issue with some files too, mostly it was Genesis 2 figures that got issues, sometimes some things like clothes, jewels and so was unable to load and only put grey boxes in these places but i have never really managed to restore the files that carrara couldnt open, thats why i never save as a compressed file again.
    I also changed the compressed file to a normal file (you can do that with 7zip for example) but didn't helped, file still is corrupted and i think that there is an error that occured while saving the file and compressing.