The Amazing PD Howler Dogwaffle Tips, Tricks, and Discussion Thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Hi Tiffani, thanks for the list.! 

Does it do paintovers? 

Ie can you bring your render in, add a layer on top, and then paint on that layer while picking up the underlying colours of the base layer?

that would be a winner for many artists

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Would it transfer the colors from below to mix with the brush use above? Sort of, depending on how you set the layer blending.

Could you use the colors from the image as a color picker to paint? Yes, just save it as a stored image and activate the dropper on the stored image.

If you painted directly on the layer above, it will still show the image below. Think, like glazing in Oil painting, Or painting over dried watercolor with more watercolor.

If it's something else you are asking, then I'm not understanding you, so give me more examples!

sorry Tiffany - I lost this thread!! Thank you for answering!

• I do have to say that in the new PD Howler 12, we just had an update that allows you to put one image in the swap, and other image in the main buffer and then you can choose to "tint" the main image using the swap image. which lets you harmonize colors between two images. So, if you had a render in the main, and a background image in the swap that weren't made at the same time, you could use it to give the render the same overall tint so that the characters would merge better with the background once you added them.

• A recent image forground foliage and post work in PD Howler.

Rainbow Kitties-sm.jpg
    1250 x 1021 - 497K
  • Lots of new updates in Howler 2019, poisson stamping, matching fills, cloning, etc. And lots of updates to the animation and animated brush timeline.

And an image I painted a couple of days ago in PD Howler. Using Media brushes, Particle brushes, Foliage brushes, and converted brushes from Ron's Waterfalls. Inspired by Bob Ross.

AR-Secluded Bridge.jpg
    2700 x 1800 - 7M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773

That looks great, Tiffanie.

• Been using PD Howler for Post work with Daz Renders, and for making Caustic panels, and such for a webinar I taught. 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999971

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999946

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999961

• This is a reminder that the free PD Howler webinar is this Sunday, Octorber 4th, 2020 to talk about the new 2021 Release, don't forget to sign up!

https://digitalartlive.com/event/power-packed-pd-howler-new-version-showcase/

Let your friends who have been on the fence know, too, as they can see it in action!

• An image I did yesterday, and below is how I did it in PD Howler 2021:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2QQeO

Jungle Waterfall2.jpg
    1656 x 1024 - 2M
    docx
    docx
    Mini Tut for PD Howler Landscape.docx
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303

tiffanie_gray_aceaa3bc71 said:

An image I did yesterday, and below is how I did it in PD Howler 2021:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2QQeO

Wow - very nice!

• Thank you!

• There is a free webinar coming up if you would like to see PD Howler in action and be able to ask questions of one of the developers:

https://digitalartlive.com/event/fun-with-height-maps/

• Trying to get back on the Video horse. Got a new recording software (or two, I'm trying out). Nothing super special, just putting my shoulder to the wheel.

• Wow! Been a while since I posted anything, sorry!

New video on the basics of using PuppyRay. You can take the images generated and put them in Daz as backgrounds.

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284

I am trying to open a png file Artist 11 but I keep getting an error message: Timed out waiting for conversion services

• The best way to open a png is to open it using the brush menu.
    Brush>Open

Once you have it in the brush, then you can store the brush as an image, and from there it should import directly to your main buffer image.

Sometimes, the codex just isn't "right" for the image buffer because it uses Image Magix, but the Custom Brush tool handles things in a different manner. And also, loading a png through the brush is the only way to preserve the transparency.

Hope that helps!

(But you really should upgrade to the newest version of PD Howler/Artist for all the new shinies! You can go to the author's website (name of program dot com) to find the most most recent version)

IF you have any other questions just holler!

• Video on how to customize your workspace in PD Howler (or Artist)

• Hi! I bought Howler 11 thru Daz3d a few years ago, and never had time to try it. One thing that interests me now though is time-stretching/motion interpolation, to help cut down on the number of frames necessary for rendering animation (in Iray).

I only recently managed to build a new, very fast rendering machine, but you know animating even 15 f/s would be insane, time-&-energy-wise, even if using tricks like cutting down scene size and compositing Iray closeups over 3DL distance images.

So I'm wondering if I ought to upgrade to Howler version 2023. I mean, have there been improvements over recent years that I would use with just my stated goals? I've looked over their lists of changes over the years, and don't really see anything specific to these goals.

Besides, Howler is pretty expensive for me on my retirement income, even as an upgrade... And frankly, the new machine, and sales here at Daz3D, have eaten a chunk out of my savings:-)
    Thanks for any insight you folks might be able to offer!
    Cheers,
    Ken

• Tiffanie Gray - IDLM said:

Wow! Been a while since I posted anything, sorry!

New video on the basics of using PuppyRay. You can take the images generated and put them in Daz as backgrounds.

Just curious, since I've never worked with Howler, though I bought it a few years ago. Can those Howler-generated landscapes be exported as object files, with their textures, and used in DS? If so, are they light or heavy on their use of resources? I know they're not extremely realistic, but they look like they'd be really nice in somewhat more 'mystical' types of images. Especially if they're made weird... I mean super-steep ridges, deep crags... Not sure where I'm going with this, but the thought just came to me.
    Thanks!
    -Ken

• NotAnArtist said:

Tiffanie Gray - IDLM said:

Wow! Been a while since I posted anything, sorry!

Just curious, since I've never worked with Howler, though I bought it a few years ago. Can those Howler-generated landscapes be exported as object files, with their textures, and used in DS? If so, are they light or heavy on their use of resources? I know they're not extremely realistic, but they look like they'd be really nice in somewhat more 'mystical' types of images. Especially if they're made weird... I mean super-steep ridges, deep crags... Not sure where I'm going with this, but the thought just came to me.
    Thanks!
    -Ken

Hi Ken!

PuppyRay, you can't export objs from...BUT...you can take all the generated maps and use them in other software that takes heightmaps, texture maps, etc. So, Carrara, Blender, Bryce and so on. You won't get the sky (though you can use the Sky Renderer and make your own skies and add them into the scene via skybox or such.)

But, 3dDesigner, does export meshes (obj), but you have to be careful of the size, because it is Trigons, so VERY heavy if you do a larger image. If you have a decimator of some sort, you can do that, but you will start losing definition. I reccomend a starting map of no more that 512x512 and you could go smaller. Yes, you can save all the erosion maps and so on to use in Daz or other software. I have done full tutorials on this that are in the Daz store under Digital Art Live's Vendor banner. You can search for PD Howler and find them that way, too.

They do go in nicely to Daz if you keep them on the smaller size. But, you might want to "amp up' the texture files if you are going totry to use it in Iray, due to "stretching" and thus smoothing the texture out. (Which does make great cartoon scenery, by the way).

Let me see if I can find an image I did with Daz and PD Howler. (There is also a great image in the Carrara/PD Howler forum where D'art was working with me to see how small it needed to go, and also, just importing the created maps.)

Oh! and the height maps that are generated can be used in UltraScenery and USX! They work great!

Okay, I don't know where the pic will show up, but this is an obj from Howler with textures from Howler, imported to Daz, water and flower objects added, sky added and rendered in Iray.

Howler in Daz.jpg
    1010 x 865 - 553K
  • Also, are you a member of the FaceBook group for PD Howler-Project Dogwaffle?
    The developer of the program hangs out there and can answer technical questions like the animation one, that I can't answer.
    It's an open group, so it's easy to find. You'll see me there.

I might be able to answer some of your other questions easier, there, too, where I can upload images and vids better.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/83248621949

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited November 2022

Tiffanie Gray - IDLM

Hi Tiffanie!
    Your responses are so much appreciated! Much to re-read and study.
    I'll probably need to avoid learning the other apps you mention, for awhile. Trying to re-learn DS right now! Never even really got into Iray. The last several years have been 'distracting.' Never stopped buying props, though. It's impossible with the sales they have here!!

OK, now I see where I was confused. It's 3dDesigner that exports. That's another one I do need to study soonly...

Ultrascenery! This is crazy, I didn't even know I had that!

So much to catch up on. Let me gather my thoughts and I'll bring my animation question(s) to the Facebook group. Thank you again!
    Very much looking forward to being an 'artist' again!
    Cheers, Ken

Post edited by NotAnArtist on
  • Look forward to seeing your "face" and your questions!
    Glad you are having time to Art again!
    And feel free to ask any questions you run across either here or there. I just don't check as much here as I do there.

NotAnArtist said:

Tiffanie Gray - IDLM

Hi Tiffanie!
    Your responses are so much appreciated! Much to re-read and study.
    I'll probably need to avoid learning the other apps you mention, for awhile. Trying to re-learn DS right now! Never even really got into Iray. The last several years have been 'distracting.' Never stopped buying props, though. It's impossible with the sales they have here!!

OK, now I see where I was confused. It's 3dDesigner that exports. That's another one I do need to study soonly...

Ultrascenery! This is crazy, I didn't even know I had that!

So much to catch up on. Let me gather my thoughts and I'll bring my animation question(s) to the Facebook group. Thank you again!
    Very much looking forward to being an 'artist' again!
    Cheers, Ken

• Since PD Howler 2023 is Fresh in the store and people will start asking things....

There is a free webinar overview next Saturday 25, 2023. https://digitalartlive.com/event/new-pd-howler-2023-powerful-for-painting-animating-particles-and-3d/

I'm also always happy to answer questions about PD Howler, and my YouTube tutorials about the older version are linked in the image in the previous post.

I have PD Howler 13.

How big are changes to PD Howler 2023?

Can one use this OBJ feature for something else than just the brush?

• Some things are updates to the way that some older components work, making them streamlined and/or faster. Some new components have been added, such as the obj rendered. 
    Philip has a huge set of vidoes on YouTube about things you can do with the Obj renderer. If you have seen Sketchfab or Envato Elements and how they have the "turn it around and get the angle you want" feature, and then you download the png or jpg to use as a composite in 2d software? It works much like that, but built in!

Philip's (The offical YT channel rather than my unofficial channel!) is: 

There are about 13 videos in this series now. (I really need to get on the ball and get some more videos made!)

Here are 2 videos I did using v2023, so maybe you can see some of the differences there.
    Creating a 3d Landscape:
    Customizing your workspace:

But, Howler 13 is 3 generations behind the 2023 version. And currently 2024 is in production, but likely won't be available to the general public for a year or more.
    And, as always, updates are free, and you own the software,  you don't rent it!

Thank you very much for the description.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited May 2023

One more week of the incredible PD Howler Deep Dive course - the extra VIP classes.

Today was fantastic, as was the main four weeks that preceded it. Tiffanie and Philip both... teaching Howler... I'm in Heaven!!!

Here are some extra homework fun animations I did with the new techniques and tools I've learned:

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Omega ManOmega Man Posts: 70

Dartanbeck said:

One more week of the incredible PD Howler Deep Dive course - the extra VIP classes.

Today was fantastic, as was the main four weeks that preceded it. Tiffanie and Philip both... teaching Howler... I'm in Heaven!!!

Dart, your character animations are looking better and better to the extent that you seem able to tell whatever story you want.  How are you achieving the character animation ?  Are you editing motion capture or keyframing by hand or using those aniBlocks which I see in the store ?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited May 2023

Omega Man said:

Dartanbeck said:

Dart, your character animations are looking better and better to the extent that you seem able to tell whatever story you want.  How are you achieving the character animation ?  Are you editing motion capture or keyframing by hand or using those aniBlocks which I see in the store ?

First, Thanks! I really appreciate that!

I use aniBlocks and animated Pose files, key framing by hand, and using these really cool animation dials I made for my character. I'm working on an educational course on that topic as we speak.

There's more to it than saying it like that, however, since I use aniBlocks to send key frames to the timeline, edit, and make new aniBlocks. In this way, I can combine many aniBlocks using tracks and sub tracks. But that's just to get the real motion capture to the timeline - so I bake it. That's when my dials come into play and I either tweak what's there or change it entirely - using the motion capture data as the base. The dials basically afford me the power of a graph editor by using dials on the figure, and without deleting any keys from the original data. 

It's fun. I have to make it work in a fun way because I do it every day.

Daz Studio is different from traditional 3d animation software in a lot of odd ways. That's why I never used it. I am a Carrara Pro artistic animator. 

What I used Studio for, before version 4.0, was simply an aniMate 2 launcher. I made and edited aniBlocks for use with the aniBlock Importer for Carrara, which dumped the key frames wherever I want them on Carrara's sequencer. Grab a few, reverse them, slow them, speed them up... whatever... Carrara just plain Rocks Animation!!! It Wants to Animate!

Then Daz Studio 4.0 was released - and they made the almighty Pro version Free?!!! Even better, they bought and included all of the CCTs (Content Creation Tools)!!! So now I was using Daz Studio for a whole lot more. The bridge to and from Hexagon auto-launches Morph Loader Pro on the return trip, which is Uber Awesome!!! I was making custom morphs for all sorts of things. Then I discovered... okay this part just keeps building - but none of it leads to me animating or rendering in Studio. I mean, it was common knowledge that DS simply is not an animation tool.

Well Linday came out with that hair. That was it.

I had Teen Judy 7 in my library at the time, so I loaded her up to see what she looked like in Iray. That was the second thing. Okay, now I want to run character animations in Daz Studio. I bought the hair and started working on new characters, and I didn't do very well. I was really mostly just looking at the hair and trying to figure out better ways to animate - doing a lot of lengthy graph editor edits along the way.

I woke up in the middle of the night with an epiphany that I couldn't shake, so... to Daz Studio I went - and I've been here ever since. 

I use the CCTs to create these custom tools and... voila! Instant graph editor without having to go to the graph editor! Either fo them!!! (aniMate 2, at least the paid version also has one)

The course is moving along nicely. Working very hard to get it done, but also to get it done right. It sounds really good and I'm not babbling! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on