Make the move from 4.5 to Cararra?

SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi folks, I have been too busy to work with Daz 4.5 this summer, and am now happy to get some free time again.
I have loved learning Daz for two years now, and am pretty happy with what I have ended up with.
However, I am now thinking of going with Carrara.
The big question is, will the characters I have created in Daz - for my scripts - work in Carrara?
They are all Genesis, with lots of M4 and V4 clothes and hair. I have bought all my stuff from the Daz store..
If I create a new computer for exclusive Carrara use, will I be abe to bring them over and use them in Carrara?.

PS, Illustrating my scripts is the my one purpose for getting into animation, thus I am not looking to learn all skills.

PS 2, How big is the learning curve - from a descent knowledge of Daz - to learning Carrara.?

Thanx

Comments

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara is a great next step if you're a long-time D/S fan. I am not a D/S user, so I can't speak to the details of bringing completed work into Carrara; however, I would think that would be a minor difficulty at best.

However, Carrara uses just about everything from the Daz store. So, IMHO, if you're looking to create new, greater and better scenes (and animations), Carrara is the way to go. And you'll love the render engine, plug-ins, easy of use, and so much more!

Regarding the learning curve, I do know that the workflow and operations (how to move cameras and objects, e.g.) are quite different, but personally I find Carrara's system to be much more intuitive than D/S. You can set shortcuts as you want, so you could reprogram Carrara to be more D/S-like. You'll be working with the same content, so that's an easy one.

Come on in! The water's fine!

• SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Wow, I am getting more stoked by the day.
    Thanx.

• SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

One more question.
    The decision kind of boils down to this.
    If I go with Carrara pro, will I be able to continue to buying items from the Daz Store and install them in this bigger, better program?
    I don't remember seeing that the Daz store products are compatible with any thing but D.S.
    Thanx

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well as you get a whole slew of DAZ 3D products with 8.5, including some genesis 5 stuff I guess the answer to that is yes.

I am a new user as far as Carrara is concerned so am not sure yet how you do it, but I know it can be done.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I can't say what needs to be done with Genesis, but I use Carrara 7.2 and you can load the millenium figures and apply morphs and such all from within Carrara's Content Browser.

Other can speak to the newer features.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Skyshorr said:
    One more question.
    The decision kind of boils down to this.
    If I go with Carrara pro, will I be able to continue to buying items from the Daz Store and install them in this bigger, better program?
    I don't remember seeing that the Daz store products are compatible with any thing but D.S.
    Thanx

Carrara 8.5 was specifically designed to try to be Genesis compatible. In addition, all of your legacy M4, V4, etc. content should work. And, other props and figures will work in Carrara. The attached image was thrown together in less than 5 minutes (it shows), entirely with figures, props, and poses available in the Daz store. In this case Michael 4 figure, conforming clothes, and props.

daz_store_pic.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Skyshorr, Carrara I feel has a more logical workflow and the interface is easy to work with.
    Carrara also has landscape, vegetation, Realistic Skies....the list goes on.
    I am sure you are going to love it and the wonderful folks in the forum are always ready to help you with any queries.
    Carrara has become an essential part of my work and I love using it.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Skyshorr said:
    Hi folks, I have been too busy to work with Daz 4.5 this summer, and am now happy to get some free time again.
    I have loved learning Daz for two years now, and am pretty happy with what I have ended up with.
    However, I am now thinking of going with Carrara.
    The big question is, will the characters I have created in Daz - for my scripts - work in Carrara?
    They are all Genesis, with lots of M4 and V4 clothes and hair. I have bought all my stuff from the Daz store..
    If I create a new computer for exclusive Carrara use, will I be abe to bring them over and use them in Carrara?.

PS, Illustrating my scripts is the my one purpose for getting into animation, thus I am not looking to learn all skills.

PS 2, How big is the learning curve - from a descent knowledge of Daz - to learning Carrara.?

Thanx

I found that you will not be able to use all of the characters you made in DS .
    Some thing just do not work well .
    Carrara will take longer to learn than DS .
    I find DS easy to use compared to Carrara .

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Of course Carrara will take longer to learn. It has more features and functions than Studio.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The great thing about software, is that if your hard drive is big enough, you can still use both! It doesn't have to be on or the other.

Many people use D/S and Poser as support apps for Carrara.

• paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I can't answer your question being new to Carrara but I can say one thing I brought a character I created and had rendered in Daz 4.6 that I was pleased with. I rendered it in Carrara as a test just to compair, the quality blew me away. I am moving to Carrara myself.