Carrara developing

I know, this topic was discussed lots of times but considering that there already is an active community, active support of the users that are programming plugins and even the possibility to use octane and that it can handle dynamic hair (Luxrender doesn't) should show the Daz team that it is still worth to keep Carrara running, update it and take care of this software, that you can also use all the new stuff on Carrara too.
I bet there are still lots of people who haven't really invested money into the new figures as they are not official compatible with Carrara and that is something that shouldnt even be possible.
I don't know the philosophy behind this, does Daz want their figures DazStudio Content only?
I would consider, if i get the chance again and the new stuff runs official with Carrara that i would also buy some stuff again.
My last order where i've also spend some money on Daz Store was october 2015, so 3 years ago.
All following transactions was free.

Comments

• Pretty much the same story for me - Daz Studio can't even lay a glove on Carrara.

The upside is that with Windows being strong now on backwards compatibility,

I imagine we will be able to use this now antique Carrara 64bit for the next 20 years.

And we will. Goes with all my other "outdated" software and hardware that still does

exactly what it was built for, does it very well, and does not need some silly "cloud"

to do it. Also, any computer can be rigged to carry a virtual drive, and even old OS

like Me can be installed that way. Carrara forever!!!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

I have a substantial investment in Carrara plug-ins and surplus server parts for rendering, so I will be using it for the forseeable future.  If development was restarted (either by DAZ or a third party), I would be very interested.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    Greymom said:

I have a substantial investment in Carrara plug-ins and surplus server parts for rendering, so I will be using it for the forseeable future.  If development was restarted (either by DAZ or a third party), I would be very interested.

yup +1111 :)

--ms

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Pretty much the same story for me - Daz Studio can't even lay a glove on Carrara.

The upside is that with Windows being strong now on backwards compatibility,

I imagine we will be able to use this now antique Carrara 64bit for the next 20 years.

And we will. Goes with all my other "outdated" software and hardware that still does

exactly what it was built for, does it very well, and does not need some silly "cloud"

to do it. Also, any computer can be rigged to carry a virtual drive, and even old OS

like Me can be installed that way. Carrara forever!!!

Agreed.  I was intending to get my new machine with Win7 to avoid any Carrara problems, but the builder forgot and put in Win10.  He said he'd switch it for free, but I decided to try it, no problems with Carrara 8.5 Pro.  I still have two other solid machines (Core i7) running Win 7/Carrara, so I think I'll be good for a long while.

cool

I don't know the philosophy behind this, does Daz want their figures DazStudio Content only?

I would consider, if i get the chance again and the new stuff runs official with Carrara that i would also buy some stuff again.
    My last order where i've also spend some money on Daz Store was october 2015, so 3 years ago.

I think the answer to your question is yes. Daz support has said (to Philw): "Carrara is not currently under active development, for any platform. Our current focus is DAZ Studio and the Genesis figure platform. Unfortunately, we have not had the resources for it. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I appreciated the honesty of the one who said that, even if I didn't like what he (or she) said. I cannot say the same for the shop, where Carrara is still on sale without any warning of any kind.

That sounded pretty definitive to me.

I never was a big buyer, barely enough to justify a platinum membership. But I canceled it soon after that (I was about to, anyway). I just purchased 2 small items since then.

I'll continue using Carrara for some time, because I know it well and love it, but I'm already looking elsewhere (something not daz, I mean).

• MerKhrys said:

I think the answer to your question is yes. Daz support has said (to Philw): "Carrara is not currently under active development, for any platform. Our current focus is DAZ Studio and the Genesis figure platform. Unfortunately, we have not had the resources for it. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I appreciated the honesty of the one who said that, even if I didn't like what he (or she) said. I cannot say the same for the shop, where Carrara is still on sale without any warning of any kind.

That sounded pretty definitive to me.

I never was a big buyer, barely enough to justify a platinum membership. But I canceled it soon after that (I was about to, anyway). I just purchased 2 small items since then.

I'll continue using Carrara for some time, because I know it well and love it, but I'm already looking elsewhere (something not daz, I mean).

well iClone is getting pretty good these days

stay the hell away from Vue though devil

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

The latest beta version of Blender looks interesting cool

• If Daz didn't have the resources for Carrara's development than i am wondering why they just didn't hire someone who can work on it or maybe ask if someone on Daz Forums would take care of it, would make a lot more sense to me and i know that Carrara is still a great software with a lot of potential, if i think about the modeling room if that gets developed a bit more, the same about hair, if all that gets developed a bit more with better/newer functions it can for sure be an awesome software and generating hair could be get like hair farm plugin for 3DS-Max.
    Even blender gots an awesome hair system already which works very similar to carrara's one and maybe Carrara can get an option for CPU and GPU rendering at once, that all should be possible i think and let Carrara get very advanced with a great workflow.
    Well, one thing i would really wish for Carrara, for Daz it would be nice too even if i don't use that much but i didn't really liked how the content was saved, it looks so chaotic.
    For example, most Skin textures are found in Poses but not in Materials and the Software is installed in 2 or 3 different directorys, under program files, also under documents and so, so where to put extra content than if you don't use the Daz Install Manager? (well, i do but only for Daz related content, renderosity and other sites does not use it).
    So a clean path with categories like textures, than sub categories like clothes, skin textures, surfaces, poses sub category animations and sub category for expressions and one for injection morphs for the older figures and from here on also sub categories for the figures V2, V3, V4, Gen, Gen2, Gen3 and so on., lights, maybe also here sub category for scene light like environmental light and light bulbs and so.
    As textures goes i let them all in the directory where they are but make a copy of all i use on a different path, different HDD in folder like 3d\Textures\M4 or \Textures\V4\FWYasmin and from here sometimes folders to Normal, Bump, Displacement , Specular and sometimes if i modify the textures to make a unique one i also make 16bit and 32bit textures (32bit support for native carrara would be fine too)

But anyway, i still have Vue11 complete to work with it but haven't really worked much with it but i think it's more for working with Vue props not use for modeling.
    Iclone 6 with Indigo Renderer is also on my System but never really worked with it yet, the same about Blender, i also got a VRay Blender but never really used it yet.
    I will now try out luxcore and will work again a bit more with blender but Carrara will stay my main program for all 3D things.

• Chris, if you have the Luxus plug-in for Carrara by Spheric Labs, you can use LuxRender with Carrara.

You might want to make Shaders specifically for that - rather like iRay vs 3Delight shaders in DS.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Here is a start kit for Luxus Carrara. https://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara-resource-pack
  • I wonder how much would it cost to buy Carrara's ownership from DAZ 3D? Or what legal stuff would DAZ 3D have to sort out to make it open source, you know, maybe there are some components that cannot be open sourced due to licensing stuff etc.? Just curious why let such wonderful software disappear slowly. 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited January 2019
    I guess Carrara 8.5 is out of question for open sourcing, bacause it contains "secret" code for Genesis, DS database PostgreSQL, maybe DUF file format too. DAZ probably wants to keep that inhouse. But Carrara 8.1 with only Gen4 support and the old dead database should be easier...
    Post edited by 3drendero on