Real metal For Poser

lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
edited September 2013 in Poser Discussion

Hi everybody,
I just bought "Real metal For Poser"
http://www.daz3d.com/real-metals-for-poser
cause I dont find a way to conctact the vendor, (costumer support link does not work, give me 404 error) I'm going to ask here a simple question:
I install the product in my library, everything ok, in my materials library I find 2 folders:
"RayTrace Reflection" and "Spherical Map"
What the difference between the materials that I find inside the 2 above mentioned folders?
Inside both folders I find the exact same materials, what the difference? Is it about render setting, Ray-traced metals need apropriate render setting? the product note says:
"Ray-traced metals will need a render ray-trace setting of 1 or greater. This can be found under -Render -Render Settings. Also, the scene will have to have items to reflect off the ray-traced metals. For outdoor scenes, it is recommended to use a sky-dome for reflections."
Could you be so kind explain to me what the difference between the 2 folders? What about metals that I find inside "Spherical Map" folder?
Thanks a lot!

Post edited by lannabulls on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Spherical maps are probably a forced reflection. It has an image map for the reflection instead of reflecting the surrounding objects in the scene. If you have other objects in the scene and want those to be reflected then use the raytraced option.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Raytraced takes longer (it has to compute the reflections from a skydome/figures/props around the object), but is more realistic.
    Spherical map is faster - usually it is just called fake reflections or mapped reflections.

• lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot,
    I understood the differences, really thanks!

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited December 1969

Snarlygribbly has a nice collection of free metal shaders for Poser...

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewforum.php?f=10