Can Carrara mimic Blender's Freestyle rendering

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Blender added the freestyle option of rendering to their package recently, I've been using it for a while now and I'm very impressed with how easy their process is. I like doing animation that looks cartoony, the term used is 2.5D.

However, C8.5 I see have puppeteer which seems to ease the animation process, does anybody know if it can render 2.5D like Blender?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I can't answer, but in case anyone is unfamiliar, this is what freestyle is: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Freestyle

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I can't answer, but in case anyone is unfamiliar, this is what freestyle is: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Freestyle

It looks like what Gareth did on the last challenge.
    If so, yes it's definitely possible using Yatoon and Yatoon2

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

sue25 said:
    Blender added the freestyle option of rendering to their package recently, I've been using it for a while now and I'm very impressed with how easy their process is. I like doing animation that looks cartoony, the term used is 2.5D.

However, C8.5 I see have puppeteer which seems to ease the animation process, does anybody know if it can render 2.5D like Blender?

get Daz Studio and do it for free !

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    sue25 said:

get Daz Studio and do it for free !

I thought Yatoon was free.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Toon Pro from Digital Carver's Guild will also get similar results, I think they might be closer to the results than YaToon, but that is just my opinion.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

OT: Does DCG ever have sales?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    OT: Does DCG ever have sales?
    Not that I recall seeing - but I would be one to agree that he shouldn't really need to. They do seem a little pricey at first glance and perhaps several thereafter, but the level of excellence provided - and what possibilities each of them provide after installation is quite powerful. I guess what I'm saying is that the 'worth' you get having any of his plugins is vastly beyond the investment.

The problem that I ran into is that, if I buy one, I want them all. And I just cannot do that. But I do aim to collect them all eventually. The hardest part becomes which to get first! But for the OP, it becomes clear that Toon! Pro would be the perfect place to start, and then delving deeper with Enhance C, Shader OPs 1 & 2 might be a good collection path - depending, of course, on where she wants to go with Carrara and how much Toon! Pro gives her in her effort. Possibly Shaders Plus lighting models? The decision gets hard because, like I say... get one and you feel the need for another. Man I wish I wouldn't have bought those darned D&D minis! lol

Terrain Tools and Ground control are certainly on my 'want' list... but again, so are Anything Goos and Anything Grows. Argh... "If I had a million dollars!" :ahhh:

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited September 2013

On a side note, the Visual Style and Manga Style shaders are on sale right now (for DS, not Carrara, sorry, I should've added that):

http://www.daz3d.com/visual-style-shaders
    http://www.daz3d.com/manga-style-shaders

I've seen some good results with these.

There is also a geometry shell outline freebie to go with it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • edited December 1969

thanks for the feedback guys.
    I got some good leads to follow up on based on your replies.

I took a look at DAZ and found some document on how to do toon rendering. I must say ...it doesn't appear to be as simple as Blender's plug in. So I'll look at the other 2 options mentioned here.

BTW, I've been playing around with puppeteer in Carrara 8.0 and I have a quick question. I added the pose in the control chart and recorded the animation. When I start the playback I noticed some jerking between pose and found yes ...that was correct...it actually was me jerking the mouse as I moved from pose to pose.

And so it dawned on me that this is somewhat depended on your mouse action in moving between poses. There may be times when you do want this control...and times when you don't. If you want to have more precision moving from pose to pose, is there a way to do this?

Also, is there a PDF user guide for version 8 that added this feature? All I can find is version 6 ...in my system and version 7 when I go online.

Thanks.