Disabling reflection from certain objects

srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Is it possible to directly disable the reflections from select objects in the scene while still allowing the remaining objects in the scene to reflect?
I can think of a few ways to fake that in general (combining multiple renders, having the reflective object actually be transparent with duplicate objects behind it acting as reflections, etc), but wondered if there was a simple direct way.

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 868
    edited December 1969

Hi Sean
    I guess you want to have no reflection on objects with different materials. That is the problem, I guess. Maybe you can use the switch for reflection on and off in the render options? But I suppose you have to make two scenes, one with reflection and one with none.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to directly disable the reflections from select objects in the scene while still allowing the remaining objects in the scene to reflect?
    I can think of a few ways to fake that in general (combining multiple renders, having the reflective object actually be transparent with duplicate objects behind it acting as reflections, etc), but wondered if there was a simple direct way.

you want certain objects to be visible in the scene, yet not be reflected. and other objects to be visible in the scene AND be reflected? am I understanding this correctly.. I don't think there is a way to do this within Bryce. at least I don't know of a way to tell the render engine to reflect object A but do not reflect object B.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Can you provide a faked visual example of the effect you are trying to achieve? Or a sketch. Something to clarify what the layout of the scene is you want to create.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited September 2013

Can you provide a faked visual example of the effect you are trying to achieve?

Well, here's the faked example... which also turns out to be the simple answer. It's so simple I'm embarrassed I even posted this thread. :-) Thanks for making me think about it one more time!
    Just delete the object you don't want the reflection of (in this case the cube) and spot render any places in the scene that have the reflection in them while leaving the render intact where the actual object was. (and, of course, be very careful to NOT save the scene, only the rendered image, when done.)

testing_reflections_edited.jpg
    742 x 577 - 433K
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2013

Can you provide a faked visual example of the effect you are trying to achieve?

Well, here's the faked example... which also turns out to be the simple answer. It's so simple I'm embarrassed I even posted this thread. :-) Thanks for making me think about it one more time!
    Just delete the object you don't want the reflection of (in this case the cube) and spot render any places in the scene that have the reflection in them while leaving the render intact where the actual object was. (and, of course, be very careful to NOT save the scene, only the rendered image, when done.)

Good idea! - I was thinking of something more complicated and unwieldy, but really in this case you've supplied an elegant solution all by yourself!

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Just delete the object you don't want the reflection of (in this case the cube) and spot render any places in the scene that have the reflection in them while leaving the render intact where the actual object was.

...Ye-es, you COULD do that I guess... Or you could Edit [A]ttributes on the cube and select 'Hidden' for the second render pass. That way you don't lose the position of the object in the scene.

You could also use Families to tag each object that should not receive reflections at all, but I assume you want them to have reflections, just not reflect a specific object or element in the scene.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I actually meant but neglected to say to save the scene first, THEN do the delete and spot render, so nothing would be lost. However thanks for suggesting the Hidden attribute; that is a better idea than the delete, that way if I accidentally saved the scene on exit out of habit after doing the deletion instead of exiting without saving, I still wouldn't loose anything.
    In this case yes, I wanted to water to have reflections, just not from everything.