Newbie question

starsabrestarsabre Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Forgive me, I am very new at using Poser. I got version 8 on a free promo a few years ago, and have never used it. I am now trying to animate a skull model I imported as an OBJ file. I can turn it, color it, light it, but I cannot get the jaw to move. I have spent a lot of time trying to find info online on moving body parts, and all the demos I find use the built in models.

Can someone point me to something to teach me how to make the jaw on this skull move independent of the rest of the skull? Or is it that the model I found does not have an articulated skull?

jt

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,254
    edited December 1969

Essentially you would need to group the skull object - in Poser using the Grouping tool or in a modelling application) and then rig it as a figure, which for a well made skull would be trivial (nothing needs to deform as the jaw moves since the bones are solid, so all you would do is set the centre point with the Joint Editor panel and then turn the Bend property off for skull and jaw).

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Alternatively, you could keep it as a prop.

After grouping as Mr. Haseltine indicates, you could import the groups separately into poser NOT checking the boxes for the "center" and "lay on ground" (forget the exact term for the latter) functions. That should give you two props in their relative locations. You would then go to the joint editor when on the jaw and adjust one of the axes (x,y,z) to move it in line for the jaw hinge location. Rotating dials for the axis that goes through the jaw points would then move the jaw up and down. Finally, you can smart prop the jaw to the skull.