Calling all Techies, comments requested

Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
edited December 2018 in Carrara Discussion

As some of you know, my desktop computer died about 2 months ago. I have been searching for a modest priced replacement desktop with at least 6 cores so that I can utilize Carrara's many features effectively. I found a desktop in my limited price range. It is "refurbrished". Here are the specifics for it. I would appreciate your comments on it.

HP Z400 Workstation, 6 CORE Computer - HP Z400 Workstation, Intel Xeon W3670 3.2GHz Six Core CPU, 24GB Ram, New 250 SSD + New 2TB HDD, Nvidia Quadro 4000 Dual Monitor- Windows 7 Pro

Processor

3.2 GHz Intel Pentium II Xeon

RAM

24 GB

Hard Drive

2 TB flash_memory_solid_state

Graphics Coprocessor

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Card Description

dedicated

Other Technical Details

Item model number

Z400

Hardware Platform

PC

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional

Item Weight

50 pounds

Product Dimensions

22 x 23 x 8.5 inches

Item Dimensions L x W x H

22 x 23 x 8.5 inches

Processor Brand

Intel

Processor Count

Computer Memory Type

DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Interface

ATA-3

$699.00 & FREE Shipping

Post edited by Retro Lad on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

sorry flash out of my depth here

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 2018

Headwax_Carrara;

That's all right .... why do all the usernames have  _Carrara written at their end now?

So when we post in other forums here people know that our images are made in Carrara etc. 

It's up to Carrara users to advertise how good a program Carrara is. :)

Good luck with the computer. 

For what it's worth here is mine. All I know it has lots and lots of little tiles going across the screen when I render,, Courtsey of it being and AMD chip I think

AMD Ryzen 1700X 8C/16T CPU OC

ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo Cooler

32G DDR4 Kingston Ram

256G SSD M.2 Intel 6 Gen PCI Express + Seagate 2TB HDD

ASUS 8G GeForce GTX 1070 PCI Express

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 + 650W Power Fractal Design

22 Speed DVD RW ASUS

Built in Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 SATA 3.0

Windows 10 Home 64

Assembled & Tested--1Yr RTB warranty

2 x 2TB HDD ).

Windows 10 Pro  

• Headwax_Carrara;

That's all right .... why do all the usernames have  _Carrara written at their end now?

because we be woke man!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    FlashG, that CPU is too old, basically a quad core compared to any year 2011 CPU or newer. You need Sandybridge or newer, from 2011 built on 32nm with AVX instructions, when checking the CPU model name on Intels site. The GPU is also aging, the nvidia Fermi generation from 2010 stopped getting driver support april 2018. You need Kepler or newer. There are some older threads here about HP workstations with newer CPUs (Sandy) for less money in USA on ebay.
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

I am NOT a tekkie, but people here were very helpful back in January 2016.

I'm a Windows 7 person, too!  Just could not face W 10 at the time. yes Silene

Your unit weighs 50 lbs?   surprise  

I wish I had the GTX 1070 like Headwax... it is better rated than my Quadro K2200.  There's a benchmark site if you are interested, even if game oriented where you can compare drives, cards, boards, etc. 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-K2000-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/m8356vs3609 ;

You can plug in your 4000 and compare as well to others, or just see how it ranks in a grid list.

Here's my desktop setup:

Case   COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE 
    Processor  (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7‐4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache 
    Motherboard  ASUS® Z97 WS ‐ ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s 
    Memory (RAM)  32GB HyperX FURY DUAL‐DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card  PNY QUADRO K2200 ‐ 4GB GDDR5, 640 CUDA Cores ‐ 2 x DP, 1 x DVI 
    1st Hard Disk  240GB HyperX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
     2nd Hard Disk  2TB 3.5" SATA‐III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 
    1st DVD/BLU‐RAY Drive  24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM 
    Power Supply  CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS‐650 POWER SUPPLY 
    Processor Cooling Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler 
    Thermal Paste  STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING 
    Sound Card  ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 ‐ inc DVD & Licence 
    Monitor  AOC I2769VM 27" IPS Monitor ‐ 5ms, 1920x1080, D‐Sub, HDMI, DP 

• 3drendero,

Thanks for the info. In short, I would be buying a dinosaur so I will keep searching. I have been fearful of buying a computer from EBAY, but maybe that is the best way to go.

SileneUK_Carrara.

Thanks, and I hope I can avoid Windows 10. I find Windows 7 good wnough and I am not an "aps" fan.

Headwax_Carrara

Maybe when I start posting images, next year, I will change my username to "Flash Fonseca_Carrara". Fonseca is my last name and not Garcia, It was a pun on Flash Gordon.

I am not much of a techie either.

So it's next stop, The Ebay Zone

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,869
    SileneUK_Carrara.

Thanks, and I hope I can avoid Windows 10. I find Windows 7 good wnough and I am not an "aps" fan.

Not a Carrara person, just happened to see the thread. One thing to keep in mind: will you be using this computer on the internet? If so, then you've only got about a year before Microsoft drops security support for Windows 7. In March 2020, all updates for Windows 7 will cease, and it will be vulnerable to all the fun people out there on the web.

If you do plan to use it on the web, then it might be best to take the Windows 10 plunge. (Says the person using Windows 7 Pro. But I plan to replace the computer no later than January 2020, so.)

From Ebay, you need to look for the resellers that are big companies that focus on refurbished workstations. Not from random dudes selling random crap. Windows 10 is the way to go, updates from both Microsoft and others will stop for soon for 7. 10 can be used like 7, no need to ever touch the apps and app store
    I would also look at a new computer with an AMD ryzen 8 core CPU. Prices are really good for an 8 core. There are new Intel 8 cores like 9700k in the cheaper gaming segment, but Intel is probably above your 700 dollar budget.
    Here is one AMD 8 core system in the 700 dollar range, that probably beats most old workstations. Decent GPU too. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-vr-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black/6128510.p?skuId=6128510
    edited December 2018

Thanks 3drendero... I knew it was coming, but putting it off.  On one of my old machines, I'd upgraded from XP to 7, and on husband's laptop, from Vista to 7, maybe round abouts 2009.  The update package did a messy job and left a lot of XP and Vista stuff on our machines that we could not remove. The My Documents, and Document Libraries were really messed up for ages for me. My husband didn't have any documents really, so it was not a problem, but it messed me up a lot.  Was happy to have a fresh new 7 on this machine as I dreaded Windows 8.

Anyways, I know it's coming and will do the dance. I know my Adobe Creative Suite 3 will likely not work as well and I use it all the time.  So I might have to use it on my husband's laptop if I cannot upgrade his old Vista that upped to W7 to W10, though... have to look into that unless someone knows. Ultimately we might just get one of those mini-computers that has the top separates as a tablet, but a working keyboard. I gave an Acer one to my stepson and borrowed it a few times when going to lectures and with the silent keyboard, it was really useful.

This article was helpful and had looked at it last month.  I was surprised at how high the percentage of W7 users are not changing still. 

https://laptop.ninja/what-will-happen-when-microsoft-ends-support-of-windows-7/

Cheers,  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I use to have photoshop CS6 working on Windows 10 and it ran with with no problems.

Come to think of it my old CS2 ran fine on it as well on my wifes computer an old amd phenom II machine which is still up and running mainly for youtube, email and netflix.

Windows 10 has good backward compatability so far.

I use to have photoshop CS6 working on Windows 10 and it ran with with no problems.

Come to think of it my old CS2 ran fine on it as well on my wifes computer an old amd phenom II machine which is still up and running mainly for youtube, email and netflix.

The Adobe site forums all have nightmare stories. Are you still running CS6 PS now? I think it might be because when you reinstall, you cannot use online activation (I have a legal copy) because they have discontinued that service.  Some people were able to get new licences from them a couple of years ago that did not need reactivation.  I lost my access to my one licence copy when my old machine crashed... so they might well have given me one of the new ones that don't need it, but it's a blur to me as that was all happening right when my brother died suddenly. So I don't know which I have.  I used my discs to reinstall, but was given a new licence key on the phone to do it.  I cannot for the life of me find that key. ARRRGGGHHH.  I have heard it is in your App files someplace, but don't know where to look.  I have a year...maybe.  Might just carry on with this machine for 3D and graphics design and get a wee thing for surfing.

frown Silene

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

My Daughter now has Photoshop CC so I have not reinstalled the version 6 on this build but it was reinstalled no problem 3 years ago.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

calling all tentacles?

oh, trekkies laugh

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 2018

3drendero    "Here is one AMD 8 core system in the 700 dollar range, that probably beats . Decent GPU too."

Thanks 3drendero .... Looks like a good deal. I checked their website and they accept Paypal Credit. If I qualify for their Card I can pay in monthly installments.

chickenman    Thanks for the thread info, but their price range choices are way beyond what I can pay for these days.

And considering that Windows 10 has a "no apps" choice then I will use it knowing now that Windows 7 has only one year remaining.

The Adobe site forums all have nightmare stories. Are you still running CS6 PS now? I think it might be because when you reinstall, you cannot use online activation (I have a legal copy) because they have discontinued that service.  Some people were able to get new licences from them a couple of years ago that did not need reactivation.  I lost my access to my one licence copy when my old machine crashed... so they might well have given me one of the new ones that don't need it, but it's a blur to me as that was all happening right when my brother died suddenly. So I don't know which I have.  I used my discs to reinstall, but was given a new licence key on the phone to do it.  I cannot for the life of me find that key. ARRRGGGHHH.  I have heard it is in your App files someplace, but don't know where to look.  I have a year...maybe.  Might just carry on with this machine for 3D and graphics design and get a wee thing for surfing.

frown Silene

Hi Silene, the download page for registered users is here https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK ;

• 3drendero

Here is one AMD 8 core system in the 700 dollar range, that probably beats most old workstations. Decent GPU too. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-vr-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black/6128510.p?skuId=6128510

The sale is over and this computer is over 900 dollars again. I had to check what the monthly charges from Paypal Credit would be, and so forth, and now the sale is over. Maybe it's for the best.

I posted a GoFundMe campaign thing out of desperation but in two months time there is not one cent donated from anyone except 5 dollars from one relative. I don't have a Facebook, or Twitter, account, and I am reluctant to post a photo of myself so maybe people think it's a scam.

Honestly, I am turning 65 next year, I am stuck in looney tunes California, Steve Cohen, the best USA Russian scholar stated that we are closer to nuclear war with Russia than at any time, the USA economy is about to go bust and chaos will reign, so maybe Thomas Ligoti's method is the best way to go, exit the earthly madhouse.

where there is life there is hope Flash, be careful with your life - it's very valuable.

There must be someone in your neighbour hood who has a comptuer sitting unused in a cupboard.

Ask at a local Club like rotary. Just send them an email and explain your situation.

edited December 2018
    Sales come and go, some are better than others. Part of the fun is the bargain hunting. Not sure if these stores are local, but here is a factory refurb HP for 615 dollars. More RAM, slower AMD GPU. https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA6ZP8558252 Your russian scholar must have missed the 80ies, when the nukes were a real problem. It is all good now, guess he is selling a book or a story, to fund a new desktop maybe ;) Economy is still going strong, never know when the ups and downs occur but no one should worry every day. Wish I lived in California, no cold and dark winters.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
    Most of these seems to be older than the 2011 Sandy Bridge CPU, which is the limit for speed and support (old CPUs are a lot slower and are not getting any security updates). Website does not specify GPU either. Good deal if you do find a Sandy Bridge bundle with a small screen or 2.

edited December 2018

Alright, 550$ in store at MicroCenter California for the refurb HP AMD Ryzen 8 core. 5 desktops in stock now. 16GB RAM is sweet for massive scenes.
    -The slow AMD GPU you can update in 2 or 3 years (assuming you are not a hardcore gamer now), but limited to low power GPU (PSU is 300W)
    -SSD 128GB for fast boots and app starts, you can get next year for 20 dollars, SSD prices are about the crash I hear.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503298/pavilion-580-137c-desktop-computer-refurbished

Sort of a review here:
    https://computators.com/2018/03/04/hp-pavilion-power-desktop-580-137c/

/EDIT
    -There are 4 "open box" desktops for 523$
    -5$ rebate coupon https://www.retailmenot.com/view/microcenter.com
    +3$ for a surge protector https://www.microcenter.com/product/486467/surgeguard-basic-6-outlet-201-joules-w--2-ft-cord---black

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • 3drendero,     THANKS        this one, from your list, seems like a good purchase  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP8558252

CPU Main Features   64 bit 8-Core Processor

frown Silene

Hi Silene, the download page for registered users is here https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK ;

Thanks... I have CS3... same situation, and found it.... I do have an account, and did this last time and got stuck and had to ring them. So it took a lot of workaround and they gave me a new number.  I just don't know if I can get another number or re-use that number again without activation.  I have a year!   wink  Silene

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,869

Ah. If it is humanly/financially possible, I'd suggest you spend an extra $100 (or thereabouts) and get a license for Windows 10 Pro. The main advantage of Pro over Home is that you can more easily defer updates, and for longer periods of time. Microsoft is explcitly using Windows 10 Home as the testbed for a lot of things before rolling it out to their corporate customers, so that they know where the pain points are. (Hence the recent Windows 10 build 1809 fiasco, in which Microsoft pushed out an OS that simply wasn't ready, and it backfired on them and especially on users, quite badly.)