16k maps 32bit displace + spline curves hair export

Hello,

This is in the subject :
i'd need more details like 8k to 16k maps /
and 32 bit displacements/
And the hairs and eyebrows and eyelashes might receive a 3d world community acclaim with a spline curve export plugin (a houdini user did one already),
If i may add, a link between a facial tracker importer (txt file from mobile app) to blend shapes would be something cool too.

Hope you all the best,

++

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

LOL, you might need to move up to a commercial product like Max, Maya, or C4D for these features instead of using hobby software like Daz Studio.

• Hello Michael,
    i'm already using general 3d softwares, Daz is a commercial product too.
    I do hair and cloth in houdini and skin is based on Daz maps and from those maps, shaders were completelly redrawn (Octane render).
    Maps are character dependant so they are Daz's or merchant's based thing, and as they are done based on photographs
    a higher resolution is just possible.
    8K to 16K maps can be the work of a merchant and sold as a product over Daz library, so it can be a feature right inside Daz,
    (cool for closeups!) even for Daz users focused solely on Daz renders. As far as i know maps went to 4K from smaller size and it might be the right time to get 8k at least as the need for more and more realism is everywhere and GC are getting more and more vram+cudas
    it can be an optional add-on to buy just as the geo HD versions of characters are.

As the plugins are concerned you're right they may come from external softwares, but the hairs products shop library in DAZ is so dense it would be just
    good to have the hability to get it as splines curves right inside any other software/.

++

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I'd be interested in larger; I can always shrink - the other way is pointless.

• Hello Michael,
    i'm already using general 3d softwares, Daz is a commercial product too.
    I do hair and cloth in houdini and skin is based on Daz maps and from those maps, shaders were completelly redrawn (Octane render).
    Maps are character dependant so they are Daz's or merchant's based thing, and as they are done based on photographs
    a higher resolution is just possible.
    8K to 16K maps can be the work of a merchant and sold as a product over Daz library, so it can be a feature right inside Daz,
    (cool for closeups!) even for Daz users focused solely on Daz renders. As far as i know maps went to 4K from smaller size and it might be the right time to get 8k at least as the need for more and more realism is everywhere and GC are getting more and more vram+cudas
    it can be an optional add-on to buy just as the geo HD versions of characters are.

As the plugins are concerned you're right they may come from external softwares, but the hairs products shop library in DAZ is so dense it would be just
    good to have the hability to get it as splines curves right inside any other software/.

++

I honestly haven't seen much of a difference between the 1070, 1080, and 1080 Ti's and their 2000 RTX series counterparts beyond faster VRAM and slightly more CUDA cores. Unless the option to pool VRAM across 2 or more cards is possible for Iray rendering with the RTX's, we're still limited by VRAM amounts. The new Titan RTX has 24Gb VRAM, but I doubt very many people will be shelling out over $3000 for that card... way overpriced imo.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,820

(cool for closeups!)

LOL!!!laugh
    16K maps on a Daz figure wont look any better 
    not even when viewed on your 4K monitor.
    they will only cause your GPU to exceed
    its limits earlier
    Human eyesight& brain function actually starts to exclude details above a certain
    resolution.

• Woody4DWoody4D Posts: 12
    edited February 2020
    wolf359 said:

(cool for closeups!)

LOL!!!laugh
    its limits earlier
    Human eyesight& brain function actually starts to exclude details above a certain
    resolution.

FFS How ironic.  My most HATED Video Thumbnail on all of youtube!  He looks like such a STUPID SAD SACK.   I can't even look at him. Much less listen...

and WOW,  LoL yourself buddy!  The higher resolution the texture, >>>THE CLOSER ONE CAN GET TO THE SUBJECT AND MAINTAIN PERFECT DETAIL<<<  I use the Highest Level HD Characters from DAZ with HD morphs (through 3ds Max and into UE4) in my games;  and in VR that 'ridiculous' level of texture detail (along with corresponding textures for Bump, Displacement, Normals, Speculars. Opacity, Metallicity, Roughness, Refraction, Sub-Surface Scattering, Light Emission, Ambient Occlusion AND ESPECIALLY Tesselation maps) for detail, is the difference between a GOOD and BAD VR experience.  

The trick is to use TEXTURES like MESHES.  Introducing 'Levels of Detail' based on distance.  For example: If a character is ten feet away, sure, use the 1024x1024, if you are standing face to face with the characters CORNEA an INCH AWAY from you in VR, then and only then load the 8 or 16k texture (or use the other 'procedural', 'progressive' or modern MIP-MAPPING for this ultimate level of 'unbreakable' texture detail.    

He CERTAINLY is not talking about TEXTURES for GEOMETRY in INTERACTIVE WORLDS,  where one might get within a MILLIMETER of an OBJECT, if held in hand and up to eye in VR!

The guy in the video is a bit savant-likeand not very bright (surely any astute observer of Humans and 'DNA on DISPLAY' would recognize instantly this is a somewhat... stunted individual.

AND:  He is WRONG, for starters; people sit at ALL DIFFERENT DISTANCES TO TVs, (I assure you I can see a PIXELS on an 8K TV if I get close enough!)

A MONITOR with even 16k would be great, but still not 'enough' for perfect photoreal presentation!  I have been working in computer graphics for nearly 30 years. I have worked at Praxis Filmworks in Hollywood, Activision, Warner Bros, now for PIMAX VR,...  I have worked on TV,  Film, Games, Commercials and Interactive POS Presentations.  I am a software developer, Character Animator, World builder and digital musician,. I know whereof I speak!

New show coming soon people! 

On my channel:  'WORKING (while) IN VR!' I will be doing live and prerecorded shows, working in the VR Editor of Unreal Engine to build a SOLO Dev 'AAA' game *(already 70 percent complete I will be adding the most interesting final touches etc. as lessons and to prompt discussion!)  

Come, Subscribe and await announcement of the premiere!  (soon, after the global pandemic and all.. ;) 

youtube.com/NextWorldVR

Post edited by Woody4D on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited February 2020

you could maybe upscale the maps in Topaz Labs AI Gigapixel

just how much would you need to subdivide a mesh to use a 32bit displacement map surprise

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Woody4D said:
    wolf359 said:

(cool for closeups!)

LOL!!!laugh
    its limits earlier
    resolution.

WOW,  LoL yourself buddy!  The higher resolution the texture, >>>THE CLOSER ONE CAN GET TO THE SUBJECT AND MAINTAIN PEFECT DETAIL<<<  In VR it is the difference between GOOD and BAD.   The trick is to use TEXTURES like MESHES.  Introducing 'Levels of Detail' based on distance.  For example: If a character is ten feet away, sure, use the 1024x1024, if you are standing face to face with the characters CORNEA an INCH AWAY from you in VR, then and only then load the 8 or 16k texture (or use the other 'procedural', 'progressive' or modern MIP-MAPPING for this ultimate level of 'unbreakable' texture detail.     He CERTAINLY is not talking about TEXTURES for GEOMETRY in INTERACTIVE WORLDS where one might get within a MILLIMETER of an OBJECT, if held in hand and up to eye!

The guy in the video is a bit savant-likeand not very bright (surely any astute observer of Humans and 'DNA on DISPLAY' would recognize instantly this is a somewhat... stunted individual.

AND:  He is WRONG, for starters; people sit at ALL DIFFERENT DISTANCES TO TVs, (I assure you I can see a PIXELS on an 8K TV if I get close enough!)

A MONITOR with even 16k would be great, but still not 'enough' for perfect photoreal presentation!  I have been working in computer graphics for nearly 30 years. I have worked at Praxis Filmworks in Hollywood, Activision, Warner Bros, now for PIMAX VR,...  I have worked on TV,  Film, Games, Commercials and Interactive POS Presentations.  I am a software developer, Character Animator, World builder and digital musician,. I know whereof I speak!

New show coming soon people!  on my channel:  'WORKING (while) IN VR!' I will be doing live and prerecorded shows, working in the VR Editor of Unreal Engine top build a SOLO Dev AAA game *(already 70 percent complete I will be adding the most interesting final touches etc. as lessons and to prompt discussion!)   Come, Subscribe and await announcement of the premiere!  (soon, after the global pandemic and all.. ;) 

youtube.com/NextWorldVR

Wow, subbee on youtube. I'm interested in that VR game. I have tried VaM, it uses genesis 2 models with base resolutions and it's a decent game, I just don't like the purpose it was created for. But I'm looking forward to any VR game that supports custim morphs, clothing and assets
  • I subscribed too as your stuff looks impressive 

still wondering resource wise how VR would cope with lots of 16K maps on the OP's topic