Help Me Learn Octane

During the last couple Carrara Challenges, I was trying to use Octane, but kept losing time to learn it because of school. So. I started this to help me learn it.

What i tried to render was a nightd exterior scene using DCGs StarBriight and an interior scene lit by a single candle. So both were dark scenes. But Octane renders them bright as day, no matter how low my lights are set.

I tried a suggestion from Wendy to use an emission surface. i used a sphere. still bright even at 0.

Ideas?

Comments

• As far as I know Starbright does not work with Octane (...at least I didn't find the settings to make it work). Here is a simple setup to build a night scene.

The blue light from the sky is just a lightplane (Octane diffuse shader, emission, texture rgb color), sphere for candleersatz just the same. The stars is just a background picture (from unsplash).

If you want to light the scene with the background picture (I prefer the lightplane - makes adjustments quite easy) play with the Octane environment power setting under the effects tab.

By the way: maybe your scene is soooo bright because the environment power setting is too high.

rendered.jpg
    788 x 591 - 241K
    Setup.jpg
    1262 x 591 - 353K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2018

You can also use HDRI in the Background slot and bulb lights with enabled bulb in octane effects tab. I attached two examples: with default octane lighting and with HDRI and a couple of bulb lights.

Scull01.png
    1000 x 1300 - 930K
    Scull06.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    edited December 2018

on't think i have any HDRIs. But Diomede was right. i yanked the environment power to 0 and got this ith an emitting sphere

octaneball.jpg
    640 x 480 - 34K
    Post edited by VIArts on

'kay, now I have lots of fugly fireflies where spedcular should be on glass. What's the pest control to fix it?

• Render Target-Imager-Hot Pixel Removal- Lower that default value from 1.0 to something lower until the fireflies disappear

• MAJourney said:

During the last couple Carrara Challenges, I was trying to use Octane, but kept losing time to learn it because of school. So. I started this to help me learn it.

What i tried to render was a nightd exterior scene using DCGs StarBriight and an interior scene lit by a single candle. So both were dark scenes. But Octane renders them bright as day, no matter how low my lights are set.

I tried a suggestion from Wendy to use an emission surface. i used a sphere. still bright even at 0.

Ideas?

As always, the best way to learn Octane is not to do so through the lens of a plug-in. You really do need to learn how to use the standalone, even if you never plan to use it in the future, it pays dividends to know WHY certain things operate as they do. The standalone is not as painful as it seems and you will move miles faster than learnign through a plugin. All the best!

edited December 2018

I modeled this

test.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 106K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • From what i still remember is that Octane works with it's own light sources/environment light, if you click on scene you can change the parameters on power settings.
    Light sources only works with octane compability, so light bulb have an option for Octane Light but all other light sources doesn't work, so the best way using light is to use a HDRI

From what i still remember is that Octane works with it's own light sources/environment light, if you click on scene you can change the parameters on power settings.
    Light sources only works with octane compability, so light bulb have an option for Octane Light but all other light sources doesn't work, so the best way using light is to use a HDRI

Spotlight also has checkbox for Octane and works fine with Octane plugin.

Wait, where? I don't see light checkboxes.

• MAJourney said:

Wait, where? I don't see light checkboxes.

If you click on the light source itself there should be the option on the top right menu (where also General, Motion,... is located)
    So if you add a bulb for example you can just scroll down the general tab and there should be the Octane Light option

edited December 2018

Attached are screenshots and render examples:

2018-12-18_1759.png
    1649 x 942 - 466K
    2018-12-18_1803.png
    1585 x 932 - 530K
    2018-12-18_1807.png
    1470 x 978 - 436K
    Marcoor_octane04.png
    1300 x 900 - 2M
    Marcoor_octane03.png