Time and Memory saving - Tip and Trick

VarselVarsel Posts: 574
edited December 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Hello you all...

I have been working on a picture for a long time. Actually since Carrara Challenge 16 -Myth and Legend.

One problem that I was hitting my head against, big file size.
Loading and saving took forever.
Just one Genesis 2 girl with cloth and hair, takes time. And I am planing to use several Genesises in the same picture.

So I did some experimenting.
Converting everything to a Primitive Model.

This prosedure should work for anything that can be loaded into Carrara.

Setup the figure and dial in the shape, add hair,clothing,props,texture and pose..

Chose the Actor in the figure, open it in the Vertex modeler.
Chose the Animation Mode, and convert....
Then do the same for every item. If there are any props that are parented to the figure, you have to do the same for them.
You have to rebuild the textures, The Primitive will keep the shading-domains, but the only thing that they keep is the texturemap in the color channel. Anything else is lost.

IMPORTANT 

If you are using anything that are conforming to the figure (clothing, hair ... ) - you have to convert these first and the main figure last. This is because the conforming items are taking their shape or morphs from the main figure.

The figure will also lose any connection to the bones, so you can drag the Actor out of the hierarchy and then delete the bones. You have basically created a prop.

This procedure can also be used to convert anything that has been trough the VWD Cloth and Hair plugin.

The Primitive Object can then be converted back into a Vertex model, and all morphs will be gone and you will have a mesh that can be adjusted and fine tuned.

You can also export the Primitive Model out from Carrara to an .obj file and reimport that, and open that in the Vertex modeler for fine tuning.

This will probably come in out of scale and position.

Saving the result as a new file or put it in the Objects-My Objects. 

The difference for this Girl is 184 127 kB - 13 467 kB

Girls.jpg
1000 x 750 - 249K
howto.jpg
1000 x 829 - 393K
Post edited by Varsel on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thank you for that Varsel!!!!!!!!!!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Hi Varsel.... Haven't seen you in ages here, but when you pop in you come in with a bang!  Thank you so much!

There was a thread about G2 or Genesis Bloat a while back... your virtual ears must have been burning.  This is great for illustrating as I like some of my G2 Neanderthals and clothes and didn't want to give them up.  I like Misty's G3 workaround for faces and hand positioning as G3 and G8 are more exact...but for some work, G2 is just fine.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR! (in case you don't pop back around for a while)

heart  Cheers, Silene

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Ah... I havent noticed the other tread..

This prosedure can be used for anything that can be loaded into Carrara. It be M4,V4, Genesis1 etc...

I did some more tests and discoveries and will update my first post

I lost all inspiration and creativitie for a while, You might say my muses left me, so I took a break from rendering and modeling for a while.

I have lately played around with 3dCoat, trying to learn that, and I have also bought me a 3D printer and using Daz Studio creating a figure - exporting to Hexagon to adjust - 3D coat to make a "waterthigt" model - and then back in Hexagon for finising and export to .stl. So I now have a 15 cm tall fairy on my desk. It took 10 hours to print.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Will need to play with this method, got GenesisG8M Beta JohnathonJunior to reduce from 1,752,959 KB to 4,554 KB without textures. Will mean that I can use more than 2 or 3 characters per scene which will make a big difference.

Thanks Varsel !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I must be doing something wrong... all the clothes exploded off the figure ... surprise

thanks Varsel, I will try again wink

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Did a litle test and experiment for you Stezza_Carrara9 .... Updated the first post.

Whats that with the ..._Carrara names I have noticed ... anything I have missed..

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 2018

People who post in other forums are letting them know we are Carrarians!  (EG Commons, Art, etc)

I hope your muse has returned... is it now the 15 cm fairy now on your desk LOL!!   A 3D printer... wow... that is impressive.  For fun or can you make money with it... sometimes have watch classic car restoration shows where they use if for parts you cannot buy any longer and are not produced aftermarket or from salvage.

Don't get to post much, have a very active 3 year old granddaughter to run after and the rest of the time am working on my illustrations when I can as my eyes are bothering me (cataracts, etc). So it's all reading and keeping up with everyone when I can.  And trying Misty's 'inventions' which have given Carrara new life for many of us.

smiley Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on