carrara scene to Unity. Stumped

dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
edited December 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Greetings all. My question is, how to get a simple scene from carrara to unity? Is it even possible? What do I need to get it to unity? I have Daz, Hexagon and 3d coat and Blender. It is a small scene with animation. I saved out the scene to fbx and the objects and animation crossed over but not the textures. do the textures need to be baked in? Thanx for your help. im on a mac pro 3.1 dual quads running os 10.10.5. I almost forgot im saving the file to send to a pc

Post edited by dot_bat on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Wendy is the resident multisoftware genuis :) Maybe she knows?

• Wendy is the resident multisoftware genuis :) Maybe she knows?

not Unity sadly, I have always struggled with it's User Interface and don't even have it installed on my PC at the moment.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

thanx wendy and headwax, i dont have it installed either and dont have time to learn it. was hoping it might be a simple matter. thanx again

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    dot_bat said:

thanx wendy and headwax, i dont have it installed either and dont have time to learn it. was hoping it might be a simple matter. thanx again

You'd probably be better of at the Unity forums to be honest, you can ask in what format you'd need to import and so on. There is a good option to export DAZ to Blender, and there are loads of tutorials around the net on getting your Blender scene into Unity.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Another way to move from Carrara to Blender. Still in development. https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcjblendbotspecial
    FBX is supposed to work when I read some random Forum posts, one mentioned issues the first time in Unity. Try this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/155566/create-games-with-carrara-and-unity
    Seems like a general problem with Unity from any 3D app.
  • Although I know next to nothing about textures and nothing about Unity, I wonder whether your textures are procedural?

Procedural textures, I think but may be wrong, are native to the software they are created in but are not likely to work in another software.

What I understand of procedural textures is what I can use in Bryce or Carrara with the pre-made textures.  I can just add them with one click.  But when I've wanted to use 3d paint in Carrara, I've needed a UV map before I can paint or use displacement.  Maybe that is the problem?

I do stand to be corrected in any of the above, unfortunately. 

• I've just fired up Carrara, converted a cube primitive to a vertex object and given it one of the preset textures.  The .fbx export dialogue has an option to convert procedural shaders to textures.

Maybe worth a try if it hasn't been tried already?

• aonyn_8f8d27bdf1aonyn_8f8d27bdf1 Posts: 7
    edited December 2018

I use unity every day, and Carrara is one of the tools in my workflow.

For format, from most apps I prefer .fbx, however, with Carrara -> Unity, I have generally had best results with .dae, the Carrara .fbx has some issues going into unity, not entirely broken, but you will run into needing to work around some things, one that comes to mind immediately is conflict in handedness of the exported coordinate system. .dae gets it right, .fbx is wonky.

Especially if you have animations embedded, I highly recommend in most cases a parent node that is clean from keys, so the animation is encapsulated. Of course if you want the animation motion to be applied as root motion by a mechanim animator, desregard this advice, but also note this is where fbx coordinate system may really start messing with you.

For textures, yes, you will need to bake any procedurals, inagoni Baker works great, it is unfortunate though that if you don't already have it, as far as I can tell, you will no longer be able to get it. Sorry to say, it is a great little plugin, for me one of the most essential for Carrara to any game engine workflow.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Post edited by aonyn_8f8d27bdf1 on
  • well you can do what I did before I bought baker and that is render planes with the shader applied from the top view for texture maps

that won't of course work for some on non planar mesh but anything flatmapped it should

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 2018

Thank you all for the help, the best forum. I have gotten more of a response from carrara users than the unity forums. put in a question a week ago and not one response. Looks like i have a lot to go thru thanx to all  your help. Thank you all and all a merry christmas and happy new yearl. Craig

Post edited by dot_bat on