Rigging eyelash replacements

Hello all,

My apologies if this (or osmething like it) has been asked before, I've been having a hard time finding clear information on how to attach eyelash replacements for my model. To explain, I started with a genesis 8 male, dialed in some morphs, then sent it to zbrush where I sculpted the eyelids a bit, then sent it back to Daz. The former eyelashes don't fit now. That's fine, I just sculpted some better eyelashes with fibermesh and sent them over. Now I need to rig them to the model, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to do that.

I've tried fiddling with the Transfer Utility, which attaches them of course, but also squishes them all around stupidly. Not helpful. So, what now? 

Specific question: what are eyelashes considered? Add-ons? Fitted add-ons? Attachments? Grafts? Props?

Further, can anyone point me to a good tutorial for understanding how to rig this kind of item? 

Thanks so much,

-L.

Comments

• For the Transfer Utility to work the lashes need to match with the base shape of Genesis 8 Male. You can try setting the Source Shape to Current and then , in the extended options, enable Reverse Source Shape From Target. In any event the weight maps gernated this way may need editing.

In regard to the original issue - is your morph set to AutoFollow (click the gear icon on its slider>Parameter Settings and check thatb the AutoFollow box is checked.

• Hey Richard,

Thank you for your response. Those were the settings I was using on the Transfer Utility, but as you said, the weight maps need editing. Can you point me to a comprehensive resource on editing weight maps? Most of the information I've been digging up is quite vague. Is this kind of item a geo-graft? An add-on? I'm wondering what this kind of operation is called, so that I can more competently search for information on it?

And yes, the morphs reimported from Z-brush are set to AutoFollow.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited July 2022

Very old thread. But it's sometimes good to necropost, especially when search engines still bring here ;) It means others than I might wonder how to rig custom eyelashes properly.

I found this very useful PDF, courtesy of chevybabe25. Really worth the read. 

There might still be a bit of weight fixing to do, but following his/her detailed steps, it works really well.

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/58721/58721_lash-master-merchant-information.pdf

Post edited by hansolocambo on