About to intall Poser Pro 2014 rant

wscottartwscottart Posts: 431
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Here we go again about to install Poser Pro 2014. Hoping I can remember where and how to load DSON. Took me hours to figure out how why Daz 2 horse was not showing up in my poser library. Now amazingly I have all sorts of content available in 2010 after making the daz downloader download the Poser dson importer files for over 200 items. I hope its easy to move it into 2014. I spend more time problem solving than creating. My runtimes have become such a mess, I surrender, and will put it all in one large runtime. Easy to say, hard to do and always looking for a solution to orgainizingruntimes more efficently.

Runtime here
Runtime there
my library
your library
shared library
Daz content here
Daz content there,
ooooh look another lost runtime hiding here and there.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    edited December 1969

wscottart said:
    Here we go again about to install Poser Pro 2014. Hoping I can remember where and how to load DSON. Took me hours to figure out how why Daz 2 horse was not showing up in my poser library. Now amazingly I have all sorts of content available in 2010 after making the daz downloader download the Poser dson importer files for over 200 items. I hope its easy to move it into 2014. I spend more time problem solving than creating. My runtimes have become such a mess, I surrender, and will put it all in one large runtime. Easy to say, hard to do and always looking for a solution to orgainizingruntimes more efficently.

Runtime here
    Runtime there
    my library
    your library
    shared library
    Daz content here
    Daz content there,

If you have the same experience as me, I'd suggest adding the SRs before setting up libraries as whenever I have installed a SR it seems to forget about all the %&*&^%$* libraries! ;)

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited September 2013

SimonJM said:
    wscottart said:

Runtime here
    Runtime there
    my library
    your library
    shared library
    Daz content here
    Daz content there,

If you have the same experience as me, I'd suggest adding the SRs before setting up libraries as whenever I have installed a SR it seems to forget about all the %&*&^%$* libraries! ;)

I back up my "LibraryPrefs.XML" file before applying service releases.

If you tell the SR to back up existing preferences files I think it will already make a copy of this file and its folder for you, and keep it separate, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. I think you can also tell a SR to apply your current preferences, but I haven't tried that as I haven'tg seen an explanation to what that exactly does.

There is a Library prefs file (In my case for PPro2014 under users/computer/AppData/Roaming/PoserPro/10/LibraryPrefs.XML) which I find holds the key. I make a copy of this when I have my runtime the way I like. If you rename your copy "LibraryPrefs.txt" you can see how poser displays multiple runtimes. With some care you can re-arrange a runtime by manually editing the txt file. But if you do this, be sure to back up your working "LibraryPrefs.XML" file before making any changes and substituting the copy. I don't have any daz dson files, however, and don't know if that adds a layer of complication.

When I created P2014, I pulled over my base Poser7 runtime (called just 'runtime' in Poser7) and renamed it as 'Runtime Poser7, or Poser7 Runtime - I forget exaclty - leaving the Poser2014 Pro runtime as the new base 'Runtime' and things seem to work okay. I do like having multiple runtimes.

Post edited by Consumer573 on