poser clothing losing poses when opened in Carrara8.5

DaveDave Posts: 178
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just been trying to open a poser scene in carrara everything imports in ok except the clothing and hair appear to go baxk to their default postions any one able to tell me how to make them stay in place? they were all conformed to the figure in poser (2014)

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Are they showing as not being conformed to the figure any longer? Check the general tab for the top level of the clothing, there should be a 'Fit To' drop down. If it says 'None' then it's not conformed to anything, if so this problem could be fixed by changing the drop down so the clothes are fitted to the character. Just a stab in the dark though, so if this isn't what's going wrong keep giving details.

I almost never import scenes from Poser into Carrara, I just build them in Carrara (Carrara can handle much bigger scenes anyway, so why put myself through the hassle?) :) But I'm sure this can be done, just have to puzzle out the process.

• DaveDave Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

They look like there not conformed to the character though they were in poser.

edited December 1969

just made some small changes in poser and resaved and this time it is more or less ok only thing wrong this time is the socks my character has on dont feet as well as they did in poser .Although Ive used poser for a few years and vue this is more or less my first go with carrara , never used it before yesterday so not too sure what Im doing at ther moment

edited December 1969

just found that if i open the scene its ok but if i import the scene its not why is that?

edited December 1969

just found that if i open the scene its ok but if i import the scene its not why is that?

Hmmm, the perils of import? :) I really only ever import .obj files into Carrara, but I have opened Poser scenes with it before and don't have many troubles, so this may be a common occurrence I just hadn't run into before.

edited December 1969

because ive used poser for a long time I have a collection of what you might call prepared characters with clothes hair etc allready done which I have often imported in to vue and was intending to do some thing similar in carrara

edited December 1969

I tried importing obj having saved file in poser as obj but then get an endless list of files it can't find

edited September 2013

I tried importing obj having saved file in poser as obj but then get an endless list of files it can't find

Oh no, sorry I didn't mean to mislead you, that certainly would not be a solution for what you are trying to do. I only meant that the times that I import things into Carrara I usually convert them to .obj file first and import them that way, but doing that will strip out all of what makes your poser characters worth using in Carrara, and leave you with a non-rigged non-textured object.

I understand what you're trying to do, you have some premade characters that are morphed exactly the way you want with certain items of clothing and hair that they 'live' in, and you want those to put those same characters in Carrara for use.

I also have a library of 'Cast Members' that are outfitted in different ways, the only difference is I went ahead and built them in Carrara the way I wanted, adding the morphs, adding the clothes, adding the hair, etc, then put them all together in one group (ctrl G is the hotkey to do that) named the group something (ie 'person1' 'cowboy with gun' 'farmer with sheep' whatever) and then dragged the group down into my objects tab (I have a folder there that I call 'Cast') and that way any scene I want I can simply drag the character I want out of the objects tab and into the scene and he appears fully clothed and haired and ready to go.

it sounds like you've already got this cast in Poser, and are looking for an easy way to put them into Carrara without having to rebuild each one from the ground up. There's a way to do this, I just haven't done it in so long I'm a bit uncertain, and because I'm currently at work I can't just sit down in front of my computer to puzzle out how I used to do it. I think (but could be wrong) that a simple way would be to pull each of your premade poser characters into a Poser scene (make sure 'use limits' is checked on each one, or I think you'll get weird rotation effects when posing them in Carrara), then save that as a Poser scene, then open (not import) the Poser scene with Carrara (Carrara can open Poser scenes, if memory serves).

I'm not able to do this on my laptop at the moment to make sure what I am telling you is right though.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your help sounds promising , your right I was looking for an easy way to not have to do some of the work again .My premade characters were saved as poser scenes when created , and they can be opened in carrara , but can they be added like that to an exsisting scene? In poser if iwanted to add another predone character i would import so that it was just added to the scene open would replace it (exactly the same in vue though vue has a merge function to put 2 scenes or more into one)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your help sounds promising , your right I was looking for an easy way to not have to do some of the work again .My premade characters were saved as poser scenes when created , and they can be opened in carrara , but can they be added like that to an exsisting scene? In poser if iwanted to add another predone character i would import so that it was just added to the scene open would replace it (exactly the same in vue though vue has a merge function to put 2 scenes or more into one)

Yes, and they'll even load faster!

You can save your Poser figures from Poser scenes you've opened in Carrara by dragging the top of the figure's hierarchy to the objects browser and dropping it onto a directory there.

You can even create your own folder and add it to the Object Browser for your characters.

To save a clothed figure, select the figure and the clothes and group them together by pressing Command D, or going to the Edit menu and selecting group. You can even name the group under the group's general tab. Then drag and drop the top level of the group into you Object browser.

Picture_4.png
    254 x 318 - 27K
    Picture_3.png
    236 x 636 - 55K
    Picture_2.png
    998 x 156 - 64K
    Picture_1.png
    380 x 298 - 29K