Do we really need another Giger-esque figurine?

No. I am not here to bash a talented 3d artisan. But we now have another Giger-"ALIEN"-like figurine that does nothing visually or mechanically different than the ones before it. Daz3D needs to reformulate how it tackles 3d product creation, in general, to gives us something new than another static scary figure. They should take a tip from the toy industry to create "new products with a new gimmick to occupy the kids".

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

I want more of them.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575

Frankly, I'd prefer more Giger Scenery & props

Ooo! Giger dog!

• MaxC28 said:

No. I am not here to bash a talented 3d artisan. But we now have another Giger-"ALIEN"-like figurine that does nothing visually or mechanically different than the ones before it. Daz3D needs to reformulate how it tackles 3d product creation, in general, to gives us something new than another static scary figure. They should take a tip from the toy industry to create "new products with a new gimmick to occupy the kids".

Looks like you've already lost this battle bruh...

Oso3D said:

Ooo! Giger dog!

Already on it dude...

• A Geiger cat would be neat, too.  Muahahahahaha!

Actually, come ro that, a Geiger mouse, even.  Hehehehe....

• A Geiger cat would be neat, too.  Muahahahahaha!

Actually, come ro that, a Geiger mouse, even.  Hehehehe....

LOL

• Do we really need another pretty white girl in a bikini? Doesn't stop them turning up by the truckload in Daz's new products - presumably somebody's buying them.

All power to all the PAs and all the marvellous content they produce - even if some of it is of no use to me personally, I know it's making some other people very happy.

Hey, how about a boardgame played with Giger counters...

• Do we really need another pretty white girl in a bikini? Doesn't stop them turning up by the truckload in Daz's new products - presumably somebody's buying them.

All power to all the PAs and all the marvellous content they produce - even if some of it is of no use to me personally, I know it's making some other people very happy.

Hey, how about a boardgame played with Giger counters...

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

The good thing about 3d, is you can have as many of something as your heart desires and as much as the market will bear.

Personally, I want some more pretty guys in bikinis, but the market has yet to fill that demand.

• ArtbyphilArtbyphil Posts: 91
    edited December 2018

I would love a proper classic giger alien done like this   though I assume  copyright is the problem. I have some from forrender which are good but low res.

Post edited by Artbyphil on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

I think we need some sort of mechanism to tally all the items inspired by the famous Swiss artist of the macabre.  We could call it a...

...Giger counter.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

I think we need some sort of mechanism to tally all the items inspired by the famous Swiss artist of the macabre.  We could call it a...

...Giger counter.

Sincerely,

Bill

I should think there must be a Giger-ton of them.

• A Giger-notosaurus would be nice. Wonder if it would look like the space dinos from Dino Crisis 3...

Then there’s Rawart’s Giger dragon:

https://www.daz3d.com/xenodreki-the-alien-dragon-hd

• In the Christmas spirit: Giger-bread house and Giger-breadmen for a Giger-themed dinner party scene. Daz Studio and Poser versions, naturally. A Very Merry Xeno-mas indeed. Facehuggers and black goop worms need some lovin, too...

TBH, I'm more Lovecraftian than Giger-phile(?). Moar Nyarlathotep, plez.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

Speaking of Lovecraft, given Sixus1 has released several Cthulhu Mythos "creatures", I'm kinda' surprsied the team never got around to modeling the "Great Race of Yith" as depicted in "The Shadow Out of Time".  I even suggested it to Rebekah and she seemed interested.  That was two or three years ago and apparently nothing came of the idea.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

Speaking of Lovecraft, given Sixus1 has released several Cthulhu Mythos "creatures", I'm kinda' surprsied the team never got around to modeling the "Great Race of Yith" as depicted in "The Shadow Out of Time".  I even suggested it to Rebekah and she seemed interested.  That was two or three years ago and apparently nothing came of the idea.

Sincerely,

Bill

Too many SAN rolls involved, I guess.

I’m a big Lovecraft fan and I am often inspired by the spirit. Though I don’t generally copy specific creatures.

Like, my Bocular man is infused with the whole ‘distortions of humanity’ you see in stories like the Rats in the Walls.

• At Rendo, Dinoraul is releasing Lovecraft-like creatures. 

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 528

You can never have too many monsters and what makes these great, G8 morphs, which means a lot of kitbashing.  

• This latest creation is the closest thing to the Alien from Aliens available for DAZ.  I just wish that they would make the spider like face hugger that they have for poser and make it for Daz.  They already have the chest burster and the set.  As for the monsters, I can't get enough of them.  There are only a handful of artists that make really good monsters, and I buy most of their stuff.  The only cute stuffed animal type of thing I own I got for free, (not counting the monster ones!) Yet there are millions of those.

• We need more biomechanical aesthetics, not less! I love that Josh has managed to achieve the properly eyeless effect he wanted for the female edition. Still totally willing to obtain any expansion pack to help convert her to such, if that's done. :)

For Giger-inspired ecosystems, copyright would be an issue only if you're trying to literally replicate the creatures in the 'Alien' films. There's apparently no problem if they're modified. That's why I'm hoping someone will eventually put their own interpretation on the Alien if it was birthed from a non-human host. Those concepts are not copyrighted! Biomechanical squid, biomechanical mantis-spiders, biomecahnical crocodiles, biomechanical sharks, biomechanical serpents... The hybrid possibilities are endless using predatory templates.

Like this Rex: https://nerdist.com/this-xenomorph-t-rex-is-the-dino-hybrid-weve-been-waiting-for/

Or this 'Starship Troopers'-inspired variety: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xenomorph-starship-troopers-warrior-bug

And I've been seriously hoping, for ages, that someone will eventually create a Giger-inspired shader set, so that we can convert any possible floors/walls to look like it's a giant hive or biomechanical bone-ship.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

We? Well some of we do, and some don't; depends which catagory 'we' fall into.

A generally comment on these posts, which appear every so often; it seems to me that it is someone not wanting a product and feeling it should not have been produced - the 'we' is a way of garnering support.

Best advice I can offer to products you (not aimed at the OP, just anyone who is in a similar situation):- don't like/want/need (or whatever combination applies to) a particular product? Don't buy it. Those that want will buy; if it's popular, we'll get more, and if not, well we won't... Generally.

I like all products being sold; those I'm not interested in - I save some cash. Those I am interested in it, I get to buy a new shiny.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493
    edited December 2018

Hmmm, can't say that this sort of thing hasn't popped up before. Buy what you like, ignore the rest. Even though, as has pointed out, in certain areas there is a lot of repetition, naming the thing as you did above just creates hard feelings with someone, either an artist who makes that sorta thing or people that want to buy it.

Post edited by Greybro on
  • MaxC28 said:

I like the giger alien stuff but maybe we need a nice new updated Predator to knock some of them off.

• MaxC28 said:

I like the giger alien stuff but maybe we need a nice new updated Predator to knock some of them off.

Muahahahahahahahaha!  :D :D

• DripDrip Posts: 1,182
    MaxC28 said:

Where is the LIKE button when you need it?

Anyway, I love Sci-Fi and aliens, however, I just "like" Giger Xenomorphs. I'd love to see more alien and mutant designs, aliens (and mutants) with additional arms, legs, breasts (Total Recal style), fingers even.. Tentacle creatures that have the means to move around someway, more head and "hair" designs (I also still want an exact Asari headfold prop with matching skin. Can only wish for Daz arranging a license agreement with EA.)