3d coat?

swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I have been sculpting in blender for awhile but I am not very good at re-topping and mapping. I have Reality paint but I have not really got into it. I usually model and sculpt in blender and then export as obj and render it in carrara. I am trying to learn rigging in carrara and DAZ as well.

How good is 3d coat? I see they are on ver 4 I tried it back in version 2 but I could not get into but I see there are a lot more tutorials now. I don't like zbrush very much and it is a little more pricey. I am downloading the trial as we speak.

I think I would like to expand my sculpting and I know I need to improve in mapping. Anyone use 3d coat?

Here are a couple of my more recent sculpts rendered in carrara. I have not gotten a good map yet.

I guess it is okay to ask about 3d coat here

creature.jpg
640 x 480 - 16K
triopics.jpg
640 x 480 - 15K
Post edited by swordvisions on

Comments

• DoomsdayRendererDoomsdayRenderer Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

3D-Coat is very good in retopology. Good, mature toolset. Also AUTOPO (automatic retopology) is quite useful for simpler needs. There's a lot of YouTube training, but as always with any complex software, there is a lot to learn.

3D-Coat is also quite good texture painting tool.

Blender has also quite good retopology tools, especially now with Contours and BSurfaces Add-Ons.

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited September 2013

I am trying to learn bsurface too, but so far it is taking me twice as long to retop as it did to sculpt, but blender is free so I may just put in the time to master it. I haven't really explored contours yet

Post edited by swordvisions on
  • DoomsdayRendererDoomsdayRenderer Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

It is normal. Good retopo and generally making good (animatable) topology is slow.

Btw, Contours makes simple cylindrical parts (like limbs) faster. Watch the videos, they show how.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

I do my sculpting in Blender (it's easier not to affect the poly count than in 3d coat, to me at least), but I adore 3dCoat for seamless texturing. It lets you use brushes as if it were a 2d editing software, so you can paint on it with anything, and that's invaluable. Certainly our Mermaid Megapack would have been impossible without it.

Not that I'd put it above Zbrush; I just haven't had the budget for Zbrush yet.. ;)