Two Questions: Unexpected error and big hair.

rbpahl_cde706a00frbpahl_cde706a00f Posts: 13
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Question One: I have Studio 4.6 on a Mac Mini with OS 10.8.3, and an old Mac Mini with OS 10.4.11 running Bryce 7.1. I have been successful in exporting .obj files to the old mac and opening (importing) them in Bryce. Now, all of a sudden, I am getting an error message in Bryce that says, "Unexpected error has occurred (failed creation)" What just happened?

Question Two: Cross-loading as above, has anyone else discovered that hair can easily overload the whole importing process? Why is this?

And finally, is there a way to reduce the file size of .obj files?

Una mas, por favor; I have Poser 7 on my old 'puter. Can this be used as a way station for size reduction?

Thanks,

RBP

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

You can reduce the size of the map files that go to the object...some of them can be as big as 4000x4000 that might help...when you download as a wavefront object you should get the map files on your desktop along with the converted files for Bryce open it and see how big each picture is for the materials.....Trish

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, as Trish says. You have to remember that Bryce uses uncompressed images, so if you have a jpg which is say around 2mb, think how big in kb that would be for poor Bryce, which is reading it as the size of an uncompressed tiff.

• rbpahl_cde706a00frbpahl_cde706a00f Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Okay, I can check that out. How about the "failed creation" msg?

rbp

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

RBPahl41 said:
    Okay, I can check that out. How about the "failed creation" msg?

rbp

I would guess we'd need more information to answer this accurately.

Is it all models you try to import as .obj files or only some?
    If only some, is there anything they have in common (apart from the fact they won't import? :D )

Have you for instance perhaps recently started using Genesis instead of V4?
    Or dynamic hair?

If you're worrying about file sizes, it sounds like you're trying to export/import large complex models. These larger and more complex models are going to have a lot more possibilities as to what may be causing the problem. :)