SOLVED: thanks for your help :) Carrara 8.5 was unable to import a Cr2,

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited October 2013 in Carrara Discussion

greetings I finally loaded up 8.5
I would like to have a play with some genesis clothes

I am using Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-peasant-clothing-for-genesis

Having no information of what I am supposed to download I have downloaded all thee files and manually installed them in a content folder

the files are
Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for Genesis
Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for Genesis Legacy
Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for Genesis PoserCF

I guess the last one is for use in Poser with Dson

then I add my runtime manually to Carrara 8.5

I am given a choice of "Poser Runtime" or "Content" in a little window

Regardless of what I chose if I try and load up the pants or shirt I get an error saying Carrara cannot import the cr2 file

If I check in my Content>Runtime>Character>Libraries>Peasant Clothing I find that yes the CR2 file is there.

any help very welcome :)

and of course sorry if this has been asked before

the only reference a search here gives me is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27826/P225

so that kind of suggests I need CMS ?

would this be correct?

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

You're not supposed to load the CR2 files in Carrara. They are for Poser.

If memory serves, for Carrara you want files with the .DUF extension.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    You're not supposed to load the CR2 files in Carrara. They are for Poser.

If memory serves, for Carrara you want files with the .DUF extension.

thanks araneldon but I am just dragging and dropping the file into an empty scene
    that's when I get the error message

for what it's worth the duf files are in the same directory as the cr2 files

edited December 1969

If you don't use Poser then I suggest uninstalling the PoserCF files.

It doesn't show both CR2 and DUF files? That makes no sense really, since the CR2 files are useless in Carrara.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

The DUF importer CR2 files have only one line, which is a Python command that launches the DSON importer - they are of no use at all in Carrara (or even in DAZ Studio). Unless you have Poser and want to use the importer, there really is no point to installing them.

edited December 1969

thanks araneldon and Fenric

I deleted the runtime and unzipped only MedievalClothingGenesisZip

When I try to add it to my runtimes I get the message :This is not a valid runtime.

So I add the Legacy Zip and same thing:

I guess because the runtime folder has only two subfolders 1) Support 2) Textures

thanks again for suggestions?

edited December 1969

This is from memory and may or may not be correct:

You don't need the "legacy" files either, those are for older DS versions. (Yes, wouldn't it be nice if DAZ documented this somewhere.)

After you have extracted the Genesis outfit(s) somewhere, "Add folder" and choose "Content" (not "Runtime").
    (Again, wouldn't it be nice if DAZ found some way to make this less confusing?)

Oh, also note that DIM content ZIPs have a "Content" folder. You need to do away with that when installing things manually. But you probably knew this since you managed to get the CR2 files to show up in Carrara...

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    This is from memory and may or may not be correct:

You don't need the "legacy" files either, those are for older DS versions. (Yes, wouldn't it be nice if DAZ documented this somewhere.)

After you have extracted the Genesis outfit(s) somewhere, "Add folder" and choose "Content" (not "Runtime").
    (Again, wouldn't it be nice if DAZ found some way to make this less confusing?)

Oh, also note that DIM content ZIPs have a "Content" folder. You need to do away with that when installing things manually. But you probably knew this since you managed to get the CR2 files to show up in Carrara...

thanks araneldon :)

ah the only thing I know about installing content is that I unzip what I buy from Daz and move it to my eg M4 socks folder, then I add the runtime to Carrara 8.1 and it shows up, right where I unzipped it without kerfaffinglinggoring around.

For the small occasions it hasn't worked in the past I unzip it to a dummy folder and go exploring.

I only know where the cr2 files are cause I use xdresser a bit to convert stuff.

Thanks again for your help, I hadn't noticed the extra content folder .

It's almost like Daz is making it really really really really really really hard for me to want to buy stuff from them.

Don't know why. My only hobbies are surfing and buying stuff from Daz...... Maybe they think I should by another board?

I'll have another go when I get on my home comp.

cheese :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Genesis and its support items only use their runtime for textures.

Genesis is an entire system and it cannot be just tossed around. I swear that the DIM is the BEST way to deal with Genesis - even if you only use it for Genesis. But you really don't have to. But if the time comes where old files should be removed to prevent errors, the lack of the DIM's ability to uninstall first (without you even asking it to) will likely cause you to have to delete the whole shebang and start over. Unless you have another way of uninstalling. Okay.. rant complete... here's what's going on:

Genesis is DAZ 3D, not Poser. So to add Genesis and/or Genesis items you need a DAZ Library, which also includes a runtime folder - but much more than just that - as Genesis only uses the Runtime folder for textures.

Make a folder. Any folder.
    Install ALL of your Genesis related stuff to this same folder the same exact way, every time.
    Open the zip, open the 'content' folder, and drag the entire contents into that folder. You now have a DAZ Library.

Now let's get this into Carrara.
    Add it to your Content tab just like you would otherwise for a runtime - but when asked what type of folder it is, choose "Content" instead of "Runtime".

Let me know if this helps you out.
    I'm barely on line these days - so I hope this helps some.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

If memory serves, I believe that the PoserCF content files also contain .duf files. These will cause errors in C8.5 as well. It is best to use the DS content in C8.5 as long as it is in duf format

edited December 1969

thanks Dart, I am sure it will

:)

now does this mean I cannot manually name lots of different folders?

I just chuck everything in to one folder, shoes socks earing and nasal spray?

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
    Genesis, 2. 17

sounds dangerous to me

edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    If memory serves, I believe that the PoserCF content files also contain .duf files. These will cause errors in C8.5 as well. It is best to use the DS content in C8.5 as long as it is in duf format

thanks

so those of us who want to use Poser and Carrara 8,5 need two runtimes with different versions of the same content?

edited October 2013

dart wrote:

Make a folder. Any folder.
    Install ALL of your Genesis related stuff to this same folder the same exact way, every time.
    Open the zip, open the ‘content’ folder, and drag the entire contents into that folder. You now have a DAZ Library.

Now let’s get this into Carrara.
    Add it to your Content tab just like you would otherwise for a runtime - but when asked what type of folder it is, choose “Content” instead of “Runtime”.

Let me know if this helps you out.
    I’m barely on line these days - so I hope this helps some.

then I reread your instructions and after ten goes finally twigged that I should be adding a "Folder" and not a runtime....

thanks For your help Dart et everyone., much obliged, so finally have the problem solved :)

well one part of the problem solved.

edit thanks araneldon for the tip on the dim

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

DIM downloads (and installs) to the C drive by default but you can change it to whatever you want.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    DIM downloads (and installs) to the C drive by default but you can change it to whatever you want.

thanks for that , wouldn't have foun d that little greyed out button ever without your prompt!

cheers :)