Camera View Port

DaveYoungDaveYoung Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi Folks,
Is there any way to set a camera to show the same view as what's being rendered? I'm using the free trial of version 8 32 bit right now and this is the first real problem I've not been able to solve. Here are some before and after pics.

BA.gif
1008 x 378 - 168K

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Couple of thoughts, because I'm not 100% I'm following you.

You might want to check out one of three things. First, there is a "show production frame" option in the view menu. Second, there is a "camera" menu in the upper left area of the interface, which you can use to switch cameras, save camera positions, and return to saved camera positions. Third, there is a "test render" option that can be selected from the menu running down the lefthand side of the screen.

In the assembly room, in the upper left of the grid view area, is a camera menu. You can insert cameras, switch cameras, save camera positions, and return to saved camera positions. First, make sure that the camera you have selected in this upper left area is the same as the one you are using to render in the render room. In the render room, under the output tab, there is an option for selecting which camera will be used for rendering.

Now, assuming that you are looking through the correct camera, you might want to...

1) Show what would be rendered based on where your camera is now. This is "Show Production Frame" - In the assembly room, you can have lines indicating the production frame. Choose from the upper menu, View -> Show Production Frame. Or, there is a smart key (Ctrl Alt F in windows).

2) Save your current position and render from that location later. Use the upper left "camera" menu referred to above to save a camera position.

3) Switch back to the camera you want to render from, or return the camera you have already selected to the location where you want to render from. Use the upper left "camera" menu referred to above to save a camera position.

4) Do a "test render" in the assembly room, without going to the render room. Along the lefthand side of the interface is a menu that contains a camera looking icon. Select that icon then click and drag a rectangle where you want to do a test render.

Hope this helps.

• mikomodamikomoda Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Hi Studio,

make first shure you selected the camera view (shown in the left upper corner of the view - for example camera 1)

then click the main tab [ View -> Show Production Frame ] and activate it (or use the Keys Ctrl+Alt+f )

If that done the actual selection for rendering is shown.

The aspectratio of this frame depends on the choosen values youve entered in the [ Render Room -> Output -> Image Size ]

If you wish to fit the production frame to your window size, so click on the little black arrow of the 2D-Zoom tool and select 'Zoom-to...'
    For me a value of 120% gives a desired result.

((Edit :: Oops overlapped entries))

Post edited by mikomoda on
  • DaveYoungDaveYoung Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

That was almost exactly what I wanted to know but isn't there a way to make the view port only see what the camera sees? Like in Daz and Poser and Blender if you hit the num pad 0?

edited December 1969

I guess you were answering while I was typing. Thanks for your help. That answers my question fully.

edited December 1969

But do not be surprised, this setting will not be saved! (every time you open up your scene, you will need to fix this - A BIG ISSUE)

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited October 2013

there are two cameras by default in carrara on opening a file the directors camera and camera one, you cannot render the directors camera only cameras you add. where is your production frame for camera 1. i cant read what camera your trying to render from

Post edited by dot_bat on
    edited December 1969

I was rendering from camera 1 and your answer totally fixed my problem. Thanks

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

mikomoda said:
    But do not be surprised, this setting will not be saved! (every time you open up your scene, you will need to fix this - A BIG ISSUE)

I'll have to disagree on it being a big issue. Simply save a scene with that set up as a template scene. Works great for the Interactive Renderer settings as well.

A better way to have the production frame the same size as the Assembly room window, choose View--> Show Production frame. Then, assuming the aspect ratio is what you want. and the, Keep Proportions box is checked in the Render room, you can click on any of the black dots on the corner of the production frame and drag the frame out until it fits your window. It's a much better option than using the 2D zoom tool which can introduce distortions to your view. The 2D zoom tool and the other 2D tools are really meant for the isometric views.

Personally I prefer to see what's going on outside my production frame. If you have the frame displayed it's really easy to see the framing and also to know what's where in the larger universe that could cause things like unwanted shadows or other issues.

edited December 1969

mikomoda said:

I'll have to disagree on it being a big issue. Simply save a scene with that set up as a template scene. Works great for the Interactive Renderer settings as well.

A better way to have the production frame the same size as the Assembly room window, choose View--> Show Production frame. Then, assuming the aspect ratio is what you want. and the, Keep Proportions box is checked in the Render room, you can click on any of the black dots on the corner of the production frame and drag the frame out until it fits your window. It's a much better option than using the 2D zoom tool which can introduce distortions to your view. The 2D zoom tool and the other 2D tools are really meant for the isometric views.

Personally I prefer to see what's going on outside my production frame. If you have the frame displayed it's really easy to see the framing and also to know what's where in the larger universe that could cause things like unwanted shadows or other issues.

First of all you are right, now in C8.5 the production Frame settings are saved with the scene :bug: Great! Thanks for this hint! (was not in 8.1.x)

But it is not the same to drag the production frame and setting the 2D zoom tool. If you adjust the production frame by dragging, you are changing render result (especially in animations, this could be a problem). If the 2D zoom tool is used, the render result is the same, no parameter of the camera is changed - in my opinion the better way.

Anyhow - everything is saved with the scene in 8.5!