Pirate Ship

I've seen good pirate ship interiors, but would love to see an up to date high detailed Pirate Ship for use with Iray, A realy good detail ship including rigging,sails, guns ect ect, everthing a pirate ship would have , would be such a great product.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 2018

well in most cases updated shaders is all thats needed

maybe some retro fitted Dforce sails

Faveral's stuff holds up pretty well

https://www.daz3d.com/the-faveral-nautical-bundle

quite a nice tub too
    https://www.daz3d.com/hms-victory

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2018

I'm not a period ship expert by any means, but -- just to be pedantic -- HMS Victory was a ship of the line, basically the equivalent of a battleship. I don't believe any pirate ever came close to owning a purpose-built warship of that size. The "Licorne", in the Nautical Bundle, is closer to something a (very) successful pirate might possibly have had. Closer still is Medusa, which Faveral actually describes as a "pirate corvette". I suspect that Faveral probably had a specific ship in mind, so that would be the one to choose.

A typical pirate ship might be smaller still, though. Looking at the ships listed in the index of "The Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard, the vast majority seem to be galleys and sloops. The largest pirate ships mentioned in the book seem to be the St Marie, a captured merchantman (frigate-rigged, and up-gunned to carry thirty-two guns), and the Fancy, a forty-six gun monster. Reading pirate narratives is like reading the story of that guy who started by trading one red paperclip and ended up with a house: they'd start very small indeed, with some crappy little ship, and use that to capture a better one, then use that to capture another, and so on. Sometimes they'd keep the crappier vessels, sometimes they'd sink them, and quite often they'd hand them over to the crew of the ship they'd captured, telling them "Thanks for the ship; take this one to get yourselves home." Pirates were often considerably more humane than their reputation has it, especially toward other sailors who they recognized as men very much like themselves.

But for all the trading up, the impression I get is that very few pirates had large warships under their control: the biggest ships they had were mostly captured merchantmen that served mainly as gun platforms or as motherships, while much of the actual piracy was done by small, fast vessels. Their goal was never to fight full-on armed engagements with actual warships: if it came to that, things had gone disastrously wrong, and their pirate career might be over very shortly thereafter.

The exception would be the privateers, who did have purpose-built warships of reasonable size, primarily frigates. They still favored speed over armament, and preferred not to engage enemy ships of the line. Although the privateer/pirate distinction is pretty loose. Sometimes it took as little as the signing of a peace treaty to turn an authorized privateer into a pirate (a lot of British privateers didn't see why they should stop attacking French or Spanish merchantmen simply because the king had signed a bit of paper saying that Britain was no longer at war with France or Spain).

Anyway, if strict historical accuracy is your goal, consider choosing models of smaller ships, as they're probably closer to what most pirates (throughout history, and not just in the golden age of Caribbean piracy) actually sailed.

"I am a free Prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world as he who has a hundred ships at sea and an army of 100,000 men in the field." -- Sam Bellamy, master of the Whydah Galley.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • well with the Victory I was thinking more of the commissioned privateers

there is also 3DU's Smirking Mermaid but of course that's  toony

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

But for all the trading up, the impression I get is that very few pirates had large warships under their control: the biggest ships they had were mostly captured merchantmen that served mainly as gun platforms or as motherships, while much of the actual piracy was done by small, fast vessels. Their goal was never to fight full-on armed engagements with actual warships: if it came to that, things had gone disastrously wrong, and their pirate career might be over very shortly thereafter.

Not really all that surprising, is it? Those ships were neither easy to acquire not cheap in the upkeep.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I've seen good pirate ship interiors, but would love to see an up to date high detailed Pirate Ship for use with Iray, A realy good detail ship including rigging,sails, guns ect ect, everthing a pirate ship would have , would be such a great product.

I am all for some new sailing ships, but not to much detail since you don't want to bring your PC to it's knees before adding the pirates and the ocean and any other bits.

Here is a perfect pirate ship with all the detail, but good luck adding figures and rendering at almost 800K of polys, LOL https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-galleon-realistic-prop/877429

Still, I bet it would look sweet in Iray!

Speaking of HMS Victory, though, if anyone wants it, it's in Fastgrab today. Start your pirate empire now!

• Thanks evryone, took a look at that ship over at turbosquid, No thanks, but thanks everyone for the input, i was just thinking that the ships mention above are too out of date as far as using them with iray , Was more intrested in a newer version of the above ships, I have used iray shaders on them, but the end result isn't very good, Also the modeling is straight edged, Thought a more detailed model on things such as the ships wheel, rigging, sails and such would be a realy good update , 

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    Ascania said:

Not really all that surprising, is it? Those ships were neither easy to acquire not cheap in the upkeep.

And were slow, and required huge crews ranging in the hundreds. Basically of no use for pirates. 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

For anyone interested to see how impressive the spanish man o war was, this scene from Black Sails is chilling to the bone. The look on captain Flint and the crew is telling :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoUa5j0FKs

Paintbox said:

For anyone interested to see how impressive the spanish man o war was, this scene from Black Sails is chilling to the bone. The look on captain Flint and the crew is telling :

I watched the opening and thought "How did the man-of-war let the pirate ships get ahead and astern of them at short range? They're toast!" In that position, the pirate ships can use half their cannon, while the Spanish ship is restricted to just a couple of guns ("stern chasers"). Plus the pirate shot is sweeping the Spanish warship stern to stem, which would be incredibly destructive. That's basically the precise situation that no captain ever wanted to find himself in.

And then the Spanish ship comes round fully, so that it can bring its full armament on each side to bear, and, as you say, the pirates all just basically go "OK, we are screwed now. We are so screwed." And they're right.

I don't know how the Spanish manage to maneuver like that while the pirate ships stay where they are (and duly get ripped apart). That looks like poor seamanship on the part of the pirates. In fact, as none of the ships seem to have any way on at all, I'm not clear how they got into that position in the first place. But maybe there's a bigger dramatic picture that makes sense of it all.

Something I read recently made it clear just how hellish it would be to be aboard a wooden ship under cannon fire. While your chances of getting hit by an actual cannon ball might be relatively small, each ball that hit would release a storm of wooden splinters that swept through any open space -- and the gun decks were mostly open space -- inflicting horrifying injuries on anyone they struck. Given the generally filthy conditions of both the ships and the men's clothing, even minor wounds would inevitably become infected. They might have had antiseptics in the form of alcohol, but they certainly had no antibiotics. Survival rates at sea weren't great anyway (understatement), but getting involved in a serious battle seems like a recipe for either dying in the most gruesome possible fashion or, at best, being maimed for life.

• If you want a pirate at the beginning then start with a boat and climb your way up in the pirate world.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

@bytescapes , wow that must have been hell, being in a “splinterstorm” , no doubt is gruesome.

As to the matter how they got in that position, its probably part of the episode, all in all its one of the best series have seen in that last few years, Black Sails is amazing.

It is a fascinating time period.

About ops request, maybe turbosquid or another general vendor has A DAZ compatible ship.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    Paintbox said:

I didn't understand at first, because I thought you were refering to its size, and I was expecting it to appear at the beginning. But then the ship presented all its guns....Indeed very impressive and very well done. I didn't know about this series. Thanks for the link.

Just FYI, there is a product called Jolly Roger Pirate Ship at That Other Site (the one that ends in '-sity'), and it's currently on sale.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2019

hmm   -sity     do you know how many words there are ending in sity     why not just type Renderosity and make it easy for those who didn't go to university, have curiosity and are amazed at the diversity of sites that are out there, Help is a neccessity to those who lack verbosity, the list of words is a montrosity, oh heck  from A-x, there is even a a word zygosity   ..... wonder what that means

Edit my curiousity got the better of me  

Zygosity :-  The genetic condition of a zygote, especially with respect to its being a homozygote or a heterozygote.    So now I know.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Don't make me walk the plank for saying this but to have a model close to being The Black Pearl would be cool both in good condition and then the sunken version i know the copy right thingy but aslong as it was changed-up a bit there should be no problem i would think

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593
    edited January 2019

Here's LukeA's Pirate Ship 2 from Renderosity.  It offers nearly everything one would want short of a captain and crew.  The sials can be furled or open, hanging limp or catching the wind using simple morph controls, no need to fight with "dynamics".

Sincerely,

Bill

LukeA-P-Ship-2-J-2.jpg
    750 x 562 - 125K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    Chohole said:

hmm   -sity     do you know how many words there are ending in sity     why not just type Renderosity and make it easy for those who didn't go to university, have curiosity and are amazed at the diversity of sites that are out there, Help is a neccessity to those who lack verbosity, the list of words is a montrosity, oh heck  from A-x, there is even a a word zygosity   ..... wonder what that means

And now there's a flash sale that includes Faveral's sailing ships (as discussed above), at 50% off (or 65% when purchased with any new release). Available from a site whose name begins with D, ends with D, and has an A, a Z and the numeral 3 in between. wink

• I missed that post about the ship at Rendo, thanks will take a look at that.