Is it possible to loop a backdrop-video?

FetitoFetito Posts: 481
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!

I have animated storm and rain in a video-file as a backdrop, but the video itself only lasts 5 seconds. Is there a way to loop it?

Thank you!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Absolutely. But 5 seconds is a long time to stay on one camera - just to let you know. Even if it's just a simple follow behind, or whatever... it help contain the viewers interest to switch angles and such. Often two or less seconds... but sometimes more...

..and then there's those times when you really need it! So here's how.
    Let's say for this example that you want to go for 15 seconds instead of 5.
    Go to the 15 second mark on the timeline. Go to the scene Backdrop or Background video and set it to the end of the video. This will automatically give you a keyframe in the sequencer.
    Go back to 0 on the timeline and check to make sure that the video is at the beginning.
    Select the space in the timeline between the two keys. This is your Tweener.
    Change the tweener type to 'Oscillating' and change the oscillation to 'Sawtooth' and leave it at 3.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck: Yay, thank you!

I want to loop it rather for auto-training purposes so that I can experiment with animations in the foreground.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Yes...have a peek at the ANIMATED sky boxes at 3dskydome.com. ssite under dev.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Patrick, do you have a video editor that can composite video together? If so, you will have more control if you render your CG animation with an alpha channel and put in the animated backdrop behind it, then you can loop it in your video editor as many times as you want. I generally use the backdrop for a lighting reference, but when I need it for timing my CG action, I will edit the background video clip to be the length of my scene.

That's brings to mind another possibility: Loop your background clip as long as you wish, such as 15-20 seconds, and then use that as the clip in the background.

If you don't have a video editor, then Dart's way is the best way.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@evilproducer: Thank you! I will try both solutions!