Carrara 8.1.1 pro build 12 64 bit for Mac crashes

So I've decided to wait until carrara version 9 comes out to see what Daz has to offer, unless daz 8.5 pro for mac will resolve these crash/freezing up issues for the version I'm currently using.

I'm working on a small project; using only one small model that I created. It's got a total of 3696 polygons, 7354 edges, 3664 vertices and 27 bones. I'm only using one character to animate in front of a video background. no other props or scenes are in it just the video and the character. So after bending a few joints and repositioning it for each frame, the program will freeze up and be unresponsive just after making a few different animation adjustments. So I'm finding myself saving the file after each tweak I make on the character, so I don't lose what I was working on previously. Then I have to force close the program, then reopen it again so I can start working on the next frame.

This is long, painful and tedious work. Anyone else have similar issues with this version? I never had this issue in previous Carrara versions before. So what's the deal?

Additional information. I'm running from a macbook pro 2008
64 bit 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo processor
with 4 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram
with Nvidia Gforce 8600m GT graphics card

Post edited by Artistic Touch Multimedia Art and Design on

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

ArtisticTouch,

I don't know what version of OS you use but 8.1 64 bit was mostly unusable on Lion and Mountain Lion. It would crash every time I opened or saved. Daz has rewritten Carrara and 8.5 runs very well on a Mac. Sure it still crashes once and a while,but it's pretty stable for me. I have lots of memory (16 Gb) and that helps with big files.

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Yes, yes it does.

Until 8.5 released, I created my scenes in C7 and rendered in C8 because of the crashing issues. For me, it always seemed to be texture related.

However, as Brian noted, 8.5 is really nice on the Mac side now.

• I'm running mac osx version 10.6.8. I never purchased Carrara 7. I may have to revert back to 6 pro if it'll allow me to. I doubt it will open files from newer carrara version saved files though. I also don't have an extra $120.00 to spend right now and may not want to gamble with it possibly not correcting the issue I'm having. It just doesn't make sense at all that Carrara's stability would go backwards after so many years of it being fairly stable when animating a fairly simple object. Sometimes I wonder if software companies purposely add bugs in their software, so they can continue selling future releases with a fix for it. Just like antivirus companies do in order to continue keeping their buyers. I'm wondering why Daz didn't correct this one issue for 8 pro before they had it corrected for 8.5 if they did correct it that is.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'm running mac osx version 10.6.8. I never purchased Carrara 7. I may have to revert back to 6 pro if it'll allow me to. I doubt it will open files from newer carrara version saved files though. I also don't have an extra $120.00 to spend right now and may not want to gamble with it possibly not correcting the issue I'm having. It just doesn't make sense at all that Carrara's stability would go backwards after so many years of it being fairly stable when animating a fairly simple object. Sometimes I wonder if software companies purposely add bugs in their software, so they can continue selling future releases with a fix for it. Just like antivirus companies do in order to continue keeping their buyers. I'm wondering why Daz didn't correct this one issue for 8 pro before they had it corrected for 8.5 if they did correct it that is.

Since you don't mention owning a version of Carrara later than 6, in this post, I'm assuming you don't have any version of Carrara later than that?

The underpinnings of Apple's OS have changed dramatically from when C6 was first released. It's not DAZ's fault that C6 won't work on OS X 10.6.8. Nor is it Apple's fault. Apple had to drop legacy code due to many factors, including not supporting legacy chipsets such as PPCs, which caused some stability issues and OS bloat. DAZ doesn't make C6 anymore and hasn't for many years, so to expect them to upgrade an old version to support the latest OS isn't reasonable.

Not that DAZ is blameless for stability issues in C8.1. Apple made known it's OS road map and DAZ either ignored it or didn't understand it's implications. Now that C8.5 is out, many Apple users are reporting much improved stability. Even if you don't want the Genesis dollies, the upgrading of other functions from C7 onward, including stability in a current OS should be worth the price when you can afford it.

BTW, this written on a G5 PPC from late 2003. I do my research before I grab any updates, including OS updates, which is why I have the latest OS X build that will run on a PPC, but I use OS X 10.4.11 for my Carrara 7.2 Pro as it is the most stable OS X/Carrara combination for me.

• @ evil producer: you do your research before upgrading you say; so do I. You would also benefit to research everything the original poster has said, before making false assumptions. You clearly missed my first post where I mention I own C8 pro. The only part of your response I found helpful, was you explaining why there were instability issues, while confirming 8.5 is more stable. I'd appreciate you not jumping to conclusions in the future, so it doesn't look like you're falsly accusing others.

edited October 2013

@ evil producer: you do your research before upgrading you say; so do I. You would also benefit to research everything the original poster has said, before making false assumptions. You clearly missed my first post where I mention I own C8 pro. The only part of your response I found helpful, was you explaining why there were instability issues, while confirming 8.5 is more stable. I'd appreciate you not jumping to conclusions in the future, so it doesn't look like you're falsly accusing others.

Actually it wasn't in the body of your message, but in the Subject header. I tend to skim the Subject lines and look at un-read threads or new messages. So point of fact, I did read your message (which made no mention of version number in the text) but not the thread subject. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but that's what it is- my opinion. Take it or leave it. Makes no diff. to me.

I actually can't say for sure that C8.5 is more stable. It's information gathered by other people posting in this thread and in other threads here, and by what issues DAZ has said the update addresses. I did say I am using C7.2 Pro on a PPC G5. You'd know that if you read my post instead of taking offense where none was intended.

P.S. I'm not sure where accusations enter into this. Care to enlighten me?

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915
    edited December 1969

Lets keep the conversation at a civil level

• @ evil producer: you do your research before upgrading you say; so do I. You would also benefit to research everything the original poster has said, before making false assumptions. You clearly missed my first post where I mention I own C8 pro. The only part of your response I found helpful, was you explaining why there were instability issues, while confirming 8.5 is more stable. I'd appreciate you not jumping to conclusions in the future, so it doesn't look like you're falsly accusing others.

Actually it wasn't in the body of your message, but in the Subject header. I tend to skim the Subject lines and look at un-read threads or new messages. So point of fact, I did read your message (which made no mention of version number in the text) but not the thread subject. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but that's what it is- my opinion. Take it or leave it. Makes no diff. to me.

I actually can't say for sure that C8.5 is more stable. It's information gathered by other people posting in this thread and in other threads here, and by what issues DAZ has said the update addresses. I did say I am using C7.2 Pro on a PPC G5. You'd know that if you read my post instead of taking offense where none was intended.

P.S. I'm not sure where accusations enter into this. Care to enlighten me?

What you said earlier about me "not owning" c8 pro was not an opinion of yours. You were either questioning or assuming I didn't own it. I also never mentioned anything about not liking your opinion. I mentioned that I found it helpful for explaining the stability issues and confirming what others have already said. However, I didn't appreciate you making those assumptions you made.

I was making a statement that you completely missed that I had posted upfront that I own c8 pro. It doesn't matter if it was in the header or the subject line. Everyone else saw it from the beginning and didn't assume I didn't own it. They knew right away. I was making a suggestion so there's no mistake in understanding everything the original poster is making.

What you were saying in your initial post "appeared" as though you were accusing me of "not owning" carrara 8 pro, because I thought you saw that I owned it because it was in the header. I took that as you accusing me of using a bootlegged version, especially after I mentioned that I may have to "revert back" to C6 pro. I guess you missed that in my second post of this topic, otherwise you wouldn't have guessed or assumed I didn't own C8 pro. Enlightened? hope that clears up the miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I have always purchased and owned all of my Carrara versions since Carrara 3.

• Frank0314 said:
    Lets keep the conversation at a civil level

It is civil, just some misunderstandings and miscommunication.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

this guy is touchy. i didnt get a tone of accusal in what he evilproducer said

• dot_bat said:
    this guy is touchy. i didnt get a tone of accusal in what he evilproducer said

People who assume also come across as accusing. They both can easily compliment one another and come across in the same manner. One thing you just accused me of is being touchy. I just don't appreciate people making assumptions or accusations. Is that so hard to be considerate and respectful? You wouldn't like it if people went around making assumptions about your integrity and honesty, all the while accusing you of being touchy, now would you? So don't do it to anyone else.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

Oh dear, now let's all sit back, take a deep breathe and start again.

Now back to the subject of the thread, which was to help this Member getting Carrara 8.1.1 pro working in a stable fashion on his PC, if that is possible.

I had assumed that one of the things that was written into 8.5 pro was to make Carrara more stable on the Mac Platform.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Oh dear, now let's all sit back, take a deep breathe and start again.

Now back to the subject of the thread, which was to help this Member getting Carrara 8.1.1 pro working in a stable fashion on his PC, if that is possible.

I had assumed that one of the things that was written into 8.5 pro was to make Carrara more stable on the Mac Platform.

You are correct. From what I understand, there was some issues when Apple updated OS X at some point around C8.0's release that moved something having to do with a font library which caused Carrara to launch without visible fonts. There was a simple hack to fix this issue, but this is one issue that DAZ can't be blamed for regarding the OS road map. It was a small change that screwed up lots and lots of other programs, and why I always wait for the crap to hit the fan before upgrading the OS. Saved me a ton headaches when I avoided the update!

The next issue was Apple dropping libraries of legacy code that allowed certain processes to run under emulation. This code if I recall correctly, originally was used when OS X came out and was to ease the transition to the new OSes UNIX underpinnings. Apple always said it was temporary and would be phased out. Of course, I could be screwing it up, and the code being phased out is later, and was the transitional code from when Apple was transitioning from the PPC chips to the Intel chips. Either way, if it was Carbon or the Universal Binaries, it was well known that it would be removed eventually. Even a non-programmer like me knew about it.

Please, if my recollection is wrong, or my chronology is wrong, feel free to correct it.