Bryce desert landscape tutorial question

JayJay1970JayJay1970 Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello,

I have just completed David Brinnen's tutorial on Bryce desert landscape and have a question about the final image. On the dunes there is a grey colour that I'd like to get rid of. I can adjust the colour but I can't seem to tone it down. Any ideas? Thanks

David_Brinnen_Dune_Tutorial.jpg
1114 x 819 - 100K

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Nice looking dunes Jay Jay. Sorry I can't offer any help with your question but someone will be able to help you.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Porbably a silly question, but do you have Gamma correction enabled in render options. If you do try turning it off.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,159
    edited December 1969

I also did this tutorial a long time ago. Try using a different sky preset or settings. I had a similar problem too.

desertex-david.jpg
    720 x 540 - 50K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Or just alter the Sky Dome Colour.
    This is found in the colour strip underneath the Cloud Height control in the Sky & Fog tab and will alter the colour of the light coming from the sky. Just make it more orange/yellow.

Hope this helps. :)

• JayJay1970JayJay1970 Posts: 19
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, sorry I haven't gotten back quicker I've been pretty snowed under with work commitments.

chohole said:
    Porbably a silly question, but do you have Gamma correction enabled in render options. If you do try turning it off.

Hi Chohole. I didn't have gamma correction enable so I rendered the same image with gamma correction enabled just to see the difference.

I also did this tutorial a long time ago. Try using a different sky preset or settings. I had a similar problem too.

Hi Mermaid010. I was hoping for a more realistic look but I like the look of your result.

Or just alter the Sky Dome Colour.
    This is found in the colour strip underneath the Cloud Height control in the Sky & Fog tab and will alter the colour of the light coming from the sky. Just make it more orange/yellow.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi TheSavage64, I played around with the Sky dome colours and came up with a few options.

The first image is haze reduced to 3 and sky dome colour changed to pastel yellow, the 2nd image is with Gamma correction switched on and the 3rd image is with skydome colour as pastel yellow with no change to haze settings.

Dune_tutorial_with_gamma_correction_ON.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 34K
    dune_tutorial_haze_reduced_to_3.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 40K
    dune_tutorial_skydome_colour_pastel_yellow.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 40K
    Post edited by JayJay1970 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

What manner are you using to adjust the colors? Right clicking on the color bars or Alt + Left clicking? Or are you going into the DTE? I ask because while Right clicking brings up a color palette, Alt + Left clicking or going into the DTE allows more control of your colors. Or so I've found.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    What manner are you using to adjust the colors? Right clicking on the color bars or Alt + Left clicking? Or are you going into the DTE? I ask because while Right clicking brings up a color palette, Alt + Left clicking or going into the DTE allows more control of your colors. Or so I've found.

GussNemo,

I use the alt + left click method. I've watched a number of David Brinnen's tutorials and he is very good at giving little tidbits that make you go "oh, that's good to know", like pressing 1, 2, 3 which gives you different view points.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Been a bit busy with work, but I'm finally getting around to catching up.

Try this video. Hopefully it will answer question posed - after a fashion.

Bryce Basics - Desert Landscape lighting and materials explored - by David Brinnen

edited December 1969

Thanks David, I'll try to get to that video soon.