Landscaping for DS: Bryce an Option?

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
edited January 2019 in Bryce Discussion

Long as I’m asking embarrassing FAQs, just one more.

Can you export terrain made in Bryce to DS via bridge, or have to export as .obj file?  Topic from 2012 said ‘bridge’ was sort of hit or miss. Exporting .obj files, means I’d have to put all the surfaces back in?

Example, I'd like to make a small 50m x 50m ground plane with maybe a pond and a hiking trail in it.  Grass/trees would be nice but can always use something like 'ultra-scatter.'  Doable in Bryce, or making landscapes doesn’t work that way? 

Hope that makes sense.  I don’t know all the technical terms.

Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Odd.  Thought I’d try one more time yesterday & posted.  Maybe a server error.

Anyway, maybe the following might be easier for quick yes/no answer

Can Bryce be used to make an uneven ground plane (rather than just using d-form tool) and then send it or it to DS?

“Ultra-Scatter” looks promising, but not very convincing on a flat or even d-formed plane in DS.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The bidge was acually originally intended to take things (people, animals and props etc) from DS to render them in Bryce environements.  If they then needed to be adjusted then they could be sent back the other way for adjustment,  if a pose was slightly off for example.

Bryce has it's own system of instancing, whcih would not transfer.   It also uses it's own native material set up.  Best way of getting a definitive answer is to move your query to the Bryce forums.  
    I don't actually use DS,  I use Poser as my plug-in to take figures etc to Bryce.  

To move a thread you click on the Gear icon on your top post, alongside the title line, and then click edit.  On the left hand menu on that page you can change the Category and post the edited comment, it will go to the Bryce Forum

Thanks Chohole.  Didn't know we could move topics!  : 0 !

@ Bryce Users

All I really need is an app that will make an uneven ground plane-- maybe export as .obj file

Hopefully the geo-tool in DS could then be used to make different material zones. base grass texture, dirt road, shoreline around a pond & so on.

Bryce or Carrara then?

Thanks for reading

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited January 2019
    Tynkere said:

Long as I’m asking embarrassing FAQs, just one more.

Can you export terrain made in Bryce to DS via bridge, or have to export as .obj file?  Topic from 2012 said ‘bridge’ was sort of hit or miss. Exporting .obj files, means I’d have to put all the surfaces back in?

Example, I'd like to make a small 50m x 50m ground plane with maybe a pond and a hiking trail in it.  Grass/trees would be nice but can always use something like 'ultra-scatter.'  Doable in Bryce, or making landscapes doesn’t work that way? 

Hope that makes sense.  I don’t know all the technical terms.

You can read about terrain export here.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I suggested Tinkere came over here for some help,  as he is new to DS and Bryce.  I cannot answer his questions because I don't use DS. 

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Chohole said:

I suggested Tinkere came over here for some help,  as he is new to DS and Bryce.  I cannot answer his questions because I don't use DS. 

Sorry, but exporting the terrain from Bryce to DS is not possible with a bridge. This can be done through the OBJ file. This variant is considered in details in the link specified by me.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited January 2019

Yup, it's pretty much what I did there, made a ground in Bryce (via a grayscale image), exported it to an OBJ, then imported that into DS.  I've never done anything with the bridges, so can't comment on that one.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
    edited January 2019

Got it installed and seems to be just what I needed.  Thanks for replies.

@Chohole

Seems I owe you again.  If never got around to thanking you for helping all of us at New User contest, I am now. : )

Thanks & here’s wishing you have a great 2019!

--Bruce

Screenshot.png
    1080 x 849 - 1M
    JustHorsingAround.png
    1080 x 849 - 2M
    Post edited by Tynkere on