Carrara previous versions - boxed or magazine giveaways

Omega ManOmega Man Posts: 73
edited January 2019 in Carrara Discussion

I have Carrara 8.5 and most of Phils wonderful tutorials, but I am getting quite curious about the past.  What was the final boxed version of Carrara available ?

Also, regarding magazine giveaways, is there a list of which versions of Carrara were given with which magazines over the years ?  Of particular interest are ones where the serial number is included.  For example, I just found I actually have issue 100 of 3D World Magazine with a disc containing the full version of Carrara 5 Pro, but it says I have to register it to a link which is now dead so I can't get a serial number to have a look at it.  Is that always the case ?  I am intrigued by the whole Eovia ecosystem, so this type of information would be of general interest. 

smiley

Post edited by Omega Man on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I have a feeling that, if you contact Daz 3d regarding your free copy of Carrara 5 Pro, they might just give you a S/N

My first copy of Carrara was a funny ordeal. It was at a time when Carrara 8 was "Soon to be released", so they had a deal - buy Carrara 7 now and get Carrara 8 free when it comes out, as well as gaining immediate access to the Carrara 8 Beta that was going on.

Someone here advised me to buy the $20 book: Figures, Characters, and Avatars (then sold buy Daz 3D) which came with Carrara 6 Pro, then get the Upgrade to 7.2 Pro.

After acontacting Daz 3d, asking if the Free deal also applied to Pro versions (to which they said "Yes"), I did as advised, and didn't have to wait for the book to arrive to go ahead and install/use Carrara 7.2 Pro and/or Carrara 8 Pro beta, and the S/N for all three were added to my Daz 3d account.

I installed both 7.2 and 8 beta, but ended up never really using 7.2 since 8 was 64 bit, and I had a brand new 64 bit PC at the time. 

A while back, there were all manner of Carrara boxed software deals on Amazon, and I made mention of that here on the forum - now they're pretty much gone (last time I chaecked). I would have loved to get my hands on them to fill a shelf in my office - even install them and play with them a bit! :)

That book I mentioned also came with Hexagon 2. That's free now, but it was a cool thing to add. Even though, to me, Carrara made that pretty much a moot piece of software, it turned out to be really hand for me to add Morph channels to figures using the Daz Studio/Hex bridge.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure but I think Carrara 7/Express/7 Pro was the last series available in a box. I could be wrong, but I don't think 8 was ever released by box.

Just in case you're looking for more awesome Carrara magazines:

Carrara 3D Expo Magazine Downloads

brought to you by Carrara Cafe

3DXTRACT 

E-Zine thread, here in the forums (with link to download the complete collection)

Includes tutorials, tips, articles from some of Carrara's Greats!!!    

For nostalgia purposes, I've included pictures of all of the boxed versions in the Table of Contents of

►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Copy paste from another forum: Looks like 3DWorld is offering Carrara Pro 7 and Mimic Pro free, plus a bunch of other useful goodies including a lighting tutorial by Mark Bremmer. Issue #133, to be specific. :)
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    3drendero said:
    Copy paste from another forum: Looks like 3DWorld is offering Carrara Pro 7 and Mimic Pro free, plus a bunch of other useful goodies including a lighting tutorial by Mark Bremmer. Issue #133, to be specific. :)

yes I bought that magazine back in the day and upgraded to 8.1 from it giving DAZ serial and screenshot of me holding the magazine with my account on my monitor
  • Omega ManOmega Man Posts: 73
    edited January 2019

Very interesting all, thanks.  Dartanbeck, that was very a comprehensive response and those resources look amazing.

Btw, when I recently bought Phil's training and the discs arrived brand new and sealed, the Amazon quantities were definitely showing several left, but they all suddenly got taken down.  If they don't reappear on Amazon.com, it would seem O'Reilly Training might have a had a "seizure" over people buying physical copies of Phil's training.  Maybe something similar happened to the boxed versions of Carrara.  I'll watch Ebay and track down some of the old freebie magazines, then approach Daz Support with all requests at the same time.

wink

Post edited by Omega Man on
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited January 2019

Digital Arts - July 2010: Carrara 7
    3D Artist # 17: Carrara 7 Pro

3D World Magazine # 133: Carrara 7 Pro and Mimic Pro

Book - Figures, Characters and Avatars (Les Pardew): Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon ...                              http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/1598638165/online_cd_contents/index.asp?isbn=1598638165

Post edited by rk66 on
  • defuser2002defuser2002 Posts: 61
    edited January 2019

There was a magazine 3d artist? which had also C6 pro which I got and C7PRO on 3d artist 17.

Post edited by defuser2002 on

So cool!

Yeah, I (thankfully) own all of the Phil Wilkes Infinite Skills sets. I watch and love watching them all over and over, intermixed with Star Wars (especially The Clone Wars), Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi reimagined series), and other assorted awesome viewing material (while my household watches horrible yuck on the TV), as well as the amazing Cripeman Cool Carrara Tricks collection.

When I die, I'm going to Carrara with Cripeman in Heaven! :) I was just sobbing over how much I miss him to Wendy and EvilProducer not long ago - like last week. He and I became really good pals after I contacted him for permission to make that index of his vids.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

I own a carrara 3 boxed version, attached to an italian magazine ages ago, never used anyway but it should be working at the time being

speaking about nostalgia, I've found my very first render, dated 4/07, made with carrara 5; the volumetric was so convincing to me to give carrara another try; since then never cast aside this cool piece of software

Doc1.jpg
    4320 x 2880 - 2M

I own a carrara 3 boxed version, attached to an italian magazine ages ago, never used anyway but it should be working at the time being

speaking about nostalgia, I've found my very first render, dated 4/07, made with carrara 5; the volumetric was so convincing to me to give carrara another try; since then never cast aside this cool piece of software

Awesome, and really nice render! Hope you don't mind me enlarging it here:

Carrara 5 was the first I've seen of Carrara, and I loved it! I didn't own it, but the guy who had it was playing around with Victoria 3 in it, which is what really caught my attention, as I was using V3 at that time too - but in Poser. 

I think Carrara 5 Pro was the one that used/needed/came with TransPoser, correct? That's how we could get Poser 'figures' into the software working as it does in Poser, and Carrara 6 no longer needed it.

Yeah, I really love Carrara. It really is perfectly suited for what I want to do in the 3D world.

BTW - I dig through my first enders and they were really laughable! LOL It's cool that you had rendering down right from the first time! ;)

well,  I have only collected 2 (or maybe 3) hundreds carrara renders and the relative files since then surprisewink

I remember I was searching for a software useful as an alternative to vue 3 and cinema 6 for my work at the time; my first choice were Lightwave 7 with messiah and blender, but the beautiful environments by Howie Farkes changed my mind; only later I started to appreciate the possibility to use animated puppets in my digital works; no regrets of course, apart from Vue my very first love

Do you still have or use Vue? I've never experienced it.

edited January 2019

I have the R11; after that they implemented the lighting system with the photometric mode that gives a realistic photographic look and it's pretty fast too; moreover it also has a path tracing engine (not optimized yet) and a full import capability of DAE files, especially useful for D/S; good post filters and an advanced material editor, last but not least a complete pipeline integration

cons: a recent rental policy, monthly or annual, and lack of real time support (my feeling)

attached my latest quick try with VUE 2018

102.jpg
    1920 x 1298 - 1M
    2.jpg
    1920 x 1298 - 1M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • That looks good really magaremoto.  I wasn't going to mention it because I was guessing no one ever used Carrara and Messiah, but I think you are quite a rarity for that !  Did you ever experiment with MDD/Messiah/Carrara, possibly with the Fenric MDD plugin ?  Is your Messiah idle now ?

smiley

Omega Man said:

That looks good really magaremoto.  I wasn't going to mention it because I was guessing no one ever used Carrara and Messiah, but I think you are quite a rarity for that !  Did you ever experiment with MDD/Messiah/Carrara, possibly with the Fenric MDD plugin ?  Is your Messiah idle now ?

smiley

Right. It's amazing how many different render engines magaremoto has or had or has used. Blows my mind! I've always felt really lucky that I'm so content with Carrara's! LOL

sorry Omega Man, never tried a link between carrara and messiah via MDD just because project messiah was dismiss years ago; a very cool software indeed, with arnold renderer inside

DB, "use" is not the proper word, I'd better say "delight" laugh

sorry Omega Man, never tried a link between carrara and messiah via MDD just because project messiah was dismiss years ago; a very cool software indeed, with arnold renderer inside

DB, "use" is not the proper word, I'd better say "delight" laugh

Funny thing: I kept rewriting it with different words where "use" is in there! LOL

Lightwave 2019 is out

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/

many interesting improvements, gonna give it a try

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I've already tried the previous version of Lightwave. The interface is terribly inconvenient. Modeling workflow is pretty painful compared to Blender and even to Carrara.

• I think it might be very useful to explore how Lightwave and Carrara could compliment each other.  I believe Liightwave 2019 has much improved FBX import/export, but given that FBX seems to vary in flavours, any testing with Carrara could be beneficial.  For example, could Lightwave-made characters and bones or animation be bought into Carrara, or vice versa ?

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited January 2019

_yes

Post edited by ed3D on