Vulkan instead of OpenGL

Several years have passed, and it's now looking like Vulkan is going to win the graphics wars.  So, it's time for DAZ3D to switch to Vulkan, which comes from the same standards body as OpenGL.

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Would you explain us better?

Is there someone who uses OpenGL in Daz?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    kameneko said:

I suspect he means the DS UI, that DAZ should abandon their working user interfaces for their various softwares and switch everything to that new graphics API with questionable compatibility with the existing userbase.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    kameneko said:

As Ascania mentioned, OpenGL is what it used for the viewport display in DS, so technically everyone using DS is using it.

• This would be a good suggestion for a hypothetical DAZ Studio 5, to be honest.
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited January 2019

Doing some research... there is no graphics war between OpenGL and Vulkan.  Vulkan is designed for game developement - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API) - Both APIs remain supported because it is not a good idea to drop the OpenGL applications to the floor just because there's a new shiny API around.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Ascania said:
    kameneko said:

I suspect he means the DS UI, that DAZ should abandon their working user interfaces for their various softwares and switch everything to that new graphics API with questionable compatibility with the existing userbase.

kameneko said:

As Ascania mentioned, OpenGL is what it used for the viewport display in DS, so technically everyone using DS is using it.

Thanks for the explanation, I thought it was just about the render settings! :D

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

Even Vulkan may be an issue with Apple?