Clothing exported from Zbrush deforms with transfer utility

Very new to Daz so please forgive me.  Any primarily using it to build soldier figurines to 3D print for a nephew going into the Army soon.  Got to messing around with making clothes for the female figures using Zbrush and after I export and use the transfer utility the clothes either slide off to the side and lock there or shrink unevenly.  Scaling up one area makes another too large, such as waist bands.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Are you working on the base shape, or are there morphs or poses applied? Does the item line up correctly, without adjustment, when it is first imported?

• Very new to Daz so please forgive me.  Any primarily using it to build soldier figurines to 3D print for a nephew going into the Army soon.  Got to messing around with making clothes for the female figures using Zbrush and after I export and use the transfer utility the clothes either slide off to the side and lock there or shrink unevenly.  Scaling up one area makes another too large, say at the waistband.

Have had the off to the side issue on I beleve Genesis 2F and the shrinking on G8F.  On the G8F I had used the no-crack mod.  No other mods used. 

Last night i thought I had it resolved.  Sent a dummy over to Zbrush, masked a pair of shorts, extracted and GoZ'd back to Daz.  No deformation or issues of any kind.  My thought was having made the base garment saved several times with details added each time may have been the issue.  Took that same pair of shorts I'd just sent from Zbrush and added details and the size issue was back.

Any suggestions?

Extract Issue 5.png
    808 x 803 - 260K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Have merged your new thread with this one, so the conversation is all in one place

• When using Transfer Utility set Curent under Source Shape, then use the button at the bottom to show additional options and check Reverse Source Shape from Target.

• Richard, got me closer.  Followed your advice with no improvement, but selected "morph", loaded up the no-crack, selected that morph and it's almost there.  Still some holes

Extract Issue 6.png
    813 x 809 - 480K
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited January 2019

Smoothing Modifier

I guess the holes you see come from the Smoothing Modifier that is by default added to the clothing after the Transfer Utility process. See the Post Transfer Options at the bottom of the Transfer Utility dialog, its checked by default and can help alot to fit clothing but the defult settings are not always appropriated.

For a beginner the name Smoothing Modifier can be missleading and in your case it does the opposite because it not just smoothes the mesh to make it less bumpy but also has some sort of collision detection for better cloth fitting.

This works like a so called shrikwrap effect where the Smoothing Modifier tries to push the base shape clothing mesh around to keep it above the figure skin.

Have a look at the Parameters pane and the settings under Mesh Smoothing where you can find the Smoothing and Collision Itterations turn those setting up, especialy the collision needs a higher value to get rid of the current issue with the holes where some polygons simply didn't get pushed above the skin.

In lack of a better screenshot here I have one example that was meant to demonstrate the relation of the Mesh Resolution (SubD) setting with the Mesh Smoothing.

Example fit a SubD sphere over a cube

GoZ and creating morphs

For creating morphs with ZBrush and GoZ I guess everytime you send the mesh to ZBrush the any current applied morph shape of the clothing is added to the morph.

By sending the mesh back to Daz Studio the morph gets applied on top of the current shape maybe this is the case why you got deformations and the issues with the Transfer Utility.

Have a look at the Parameters pane and see if there are morphs listed under Currently Used or previously created ZBrush morphs.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • Will give it a look.  Thank you very much!

• Richard Haseltine said:

When using Transfer Utility set Curent under Source Shape, then use the button at the bottom to show additional options and check Reverse Source Shape from Target.

Oh thank you so much, I'm struggling with this for some hour(s) <3