Anti Collision feature

paul_ae567ab9paul_ae567ab9 Posts: 231
edited January 2019 in Product Suggestions

I would love to see a feature where you can select a prop or a figure and designate that as a "no go zone" so your scenes prevent one asset from passing through another. It would be similar to the Ctrl+D to drop an asset to the floor in some respects.

For example. You have scene with a stage and in the case of an animation ( particularly with and aniblock ) you could designate that stage as a no-go zone and your figure could not penetrate that space assuring a persons foot would be forced to stop when it reaches that surface. It should also prevent un-natural intersections of body parts such as an arm protruding a figures chest.  Obviously there may be cases where such an intrusion is intentional so this "no go" zone should and on/off function, preferably one that would be able to be enabled and disabled along a time line as well.

Paul

Post edited by paul_ae567ab9 on

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

It would indeed be a useful feature to be able to make objects or figure parts "solid". No more hair passing through the shoulders, no more poke through. Making a hand holding pose would become easy and quick. Animation would become much easier. Positioning of props and figures... much easier. However the feature would have to actually work properly and reliably to be useful. The feature would have to be much more robust and reliable than the current (non)collision system used in figure clothing.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I think any work on collision needs a rewrite of how collision detection is currently working.

Just from reading through posts my understanding is that collision detection uses mesh vertices. Which is understandable for a "quick fix" since all the numbers are already recorded for all the vertices in an item however, you are looking at the placement of single points in an item. I believe for collision to work properly, it's the polys that need to be used, the actual surface between the vertices which would take a lot more programming and a lot more work.

• The displacement mapping will still poke through when rendered! Maybe collision with standoff controls would work! As for objects on landscape there our plugins to do that! 

• The displacement mapping will still poke through when rendered! Maybe collision with standoff controls would work! As for objects on landscape there our plugins to do that! 

Can you elaborate on the plugins re. landscapes?  Perhaps this would work if it could consider a "floor" as part of landscape to prevent at least that problem with animaition.

• Does anyone know if any of the DAZ programming people are even looking into this type of feature for future releases?  It could make Daz a much better animation tool and shave many hours from production if the ability to prevent collisions in the process of animations no longer a concern.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I think they play their cards pretty close to their chests.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

Does anyone know if any of the DAZ programming people are even looking into this type of feature for future releases?

Daz usually doesn't give any information on planned features.

• Leana said:

Does anyone know if any of the DAZ programming people are even looking into this type of feature for future releases?

Daz usually doesn't give any information on planned features.

Not directly, no, but if you look at the change log for the development version (I don't happen to have a link to it handy), they often include clues of a sort in it.
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I think they'll implement this someday through the dForce stuff!

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    kameneko said:

God I hope not. 

Dforce is a sluggish nightmare.

• jakobrhjakobrh Posts: 101

I hope they'll inplement anti collision to dForce. If done properly, it could avoid a lot of the reasons, why I have clothing explosions.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    kameneko said:

God I hope not. 

Well, I don't see other ways around this! To have it is better than not to have it at all IMHO ^^

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    kameneko said:

For now