Retain settings of Daz 3D Install Manager after an update

ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Hi gang,

It's been a while since I've visited the site and played with the program (I do peek in around Wednesday to check for Platinum goodies), so today I discovered several updates amongst which Daz Studio 4.6.1.something ;) as well as the install manager. So far, so good. They've done it again; the new splash screen made me want the old one so badly so I had to get the undead fiend and the cool fantasy outfit :-)

Now, I use some very specific settings in my install manager. Content gets downloaded and installed to different locations on drive D, I added all my software (Daz Studio, Bryce and Hexagon), told it to install programs to D:\Program Files, and so on.

Most of those settings are gone after an update or upgrade to a new Install Manager version, and that can be a bit annoying. I mean; it's the same program but simply a different version, so why does it reset nearly all my customized settings?

As such my suggestion: please find a way to retain those settings.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,093
    edited December 1969

I've yet to lose any settings to an update, with a long list of applications and non-standard folders for downloads and installs. That points the finger of suspicion at the OS or security software.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited November 2013

Well, there is the most likely exception that I'm using 2 accounts on my Windows 7 environment. I use all programs as a regular non-privileged user, and the moment I need to install something (which also requires deeper access to the registry) I need to raise my privileges so to speak. So there could a change there.

Still, we're at 4.6.1.33 now and during those last changes (I believe the install manager also got updated) I didn't have these issues any longer. So it seems something has changed for the better.

Oh, to avoid confusion: I'm not talking about settings of the Daz Studio program itself but merely those of the install manager.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If your Settings file for DIM was in another User profile AND the USER privileges were not identical at the DIM update the Update could not read the settings file. So it would Install as a clean NEW version of DIM.

I think that is what you said but I'm sort of lost as one post said it didn't hold the settings and the next did. I'm Confused.