Carrara Light Effects issue

FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all.

I'm trying to do something rather simple, but can't figure out how to get around an issue I'm having with light effects.

I modeled a bulb (a real one, not a Carrara one!), inserted a Carrara bulb light inside the glass, and set light effects.

When I rendered, I discovered the light effect doesn't work when it is inside anything, even if the object is transparent (like the glass bulb).

I can't seem to find a way around this. I've tried everything I can think of, even the "Restrict lighting to: All objects except:" and selected "bulb glass".

I'm hoping this is just a goofy thing I'm forgetting and not a Carrara limitation. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
FD

Bulb_2.jpg
640 x 480 - 89K
Bulb_1.jpg
640 x 480 - 91K

Comments

• mikomodamikomoda Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Hi all.

I'm trying to do something rather simple, but can't figure out how to get around an issue I'm having with light effects.

I modeled a bulb (a real one, not a Carrara one!), inserted a Carrara bulb light inside the glass, and set light effects.

When I rendered, I discovered the light effect doesn't work when it is inside anything, even if the object is transparent (like the glass bulb).

I can't seem to find a way around this. I've tried everything I can think of, even the "Restrict lighting to: All objects except:" and selected "bulb glass".

I'm hoping this is just a goofy thing I'm forgetting and not a Carrara limitation. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    FD

Hi FractalDimensia, for me it works (example shows a blue glass (Poly) Sphere with a bulb in it. No other Lights in the szene.

Edit:
    Make sure
    Bulb is visible
    Falloff is is disabled or the value is high enough
    Bulb brightness is high enough
    and Light Through Transparency is enabled in Renderroom!

I'm shure it is only a simple thing

Edit 2
    Sorry, I misunderstood the question! The lighting effects do not work for me too! :red:

Doc7.png
    720 x 405 - 30K
    Post edited by mikomoda on
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Also have a look that translucency is set in the glass shader.

edited December 1969

I have found, that if you set the transparency value and the more transparent the material is, the more the light effects come visible!
    In this example the value of the glass material is transparent to 70% (Effect: LensFlare) The Values of the LensFlare needs to be increased.

Maybe this helps!

Doc18.png
    720 x 405 - 111K
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    Also have a look that translucency is set in the glass shader.

I tried modifying translucency of the glass; no effect. :(

edited December 1969

mikomoda said:
    I have found, that if you set the transparency value and the more transparent the material is, the more the light effects come visible!
    In this example the value of the glass material is transparent to 70% (Effect: LensFlare) The Values of the LensFlare needs to be increased.

Maybe this helps!

Sorry, I'm not getting this result. Maybe you can take a screenshot of the glass shader so I can see the settings?

Thanks for your suggestion!

edited December 1969

I took away everything except for transparency, set it at about 80%, and still no effects.

See images below.

Bulb_Shader_Settings.jpg
    1305 x 507 - 161K
    Bulb_3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 66K
    edited October 2013

mikomoda said:

Maybe this helps!

Sorry, I'm not getting this result. Maybe you can take a screenshot of the glass shader so I can see the settings?

Download the .car file from the host, maybe the best way? (Uploading here is not allowed) :(

rapidshare.com/share/FEE536A83EB6259935764E69957B7AF8

Edit: apologize again, I did not mean ​​transparency, I meant alpa at 70%
    Sorry

edited December 1969

mikomoda said:
    mikomoda said:

Maybe this helps!

Download the .car file from the host, maybe the best way? (Uploading here is not allowed) :(

rapidshare.com/share/FEE536A83EB6259935764E69957B7AF8

Okay, the solution is in setting the Alpha channel. The lower the Alpha channel value, the greater the effect. I thought I had tried adjusting the Alpha channel, but I guess not.

Good lesson to remember, I guess.

Thanks, Mikomoda, for your assistance!

edited December 1969

Also, adjusting the Alpha channel only works for "Lens Flare." I was attempting to use other light effects - specifically, CrossScreen and Glow. These STILL do not work even by adjusting the Alpha channel.

It seems I'll have to just stick with Lens Flare. :( Too bad....

edited October 2013

Also, adjusting the Alpha channel only works for "Lens Flare." I was attempting to use other light effects - specifically, CrossScreen and Glow. These STILL do not work even by adjusting the Alpha channel.

It seems I'll have to just stick with Lens Flare. :( Too bad....

I take that back, LOL.

You really have to jack up the effects to get them to show through the object!!

=)

Bulb_4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 93K
    Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited October 2013

Maybe the glass material looses too much plasticity and comes too flat?!
    It should worth a try to decrease the ALPHA ;) (increase the Value) and add a second Bulb with the same FX? With 'restrict lightning only to' -> [nothing] ?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited October 2013

Following this thread, my suggestion would be to set up your glass shader for the bulb with your transparency, reflection and refraction the way you want it, then set your alpha channel in the shader to around 50%. That way, you can still see the effects of the shader, and still get your lens flare and other effects.

In addition, I would use the 3D light sphere. It's visible no matter the alpha setting. Set the effect to Realistic and play with the intensity, diameter and quality settings. It can look really good and can help hide the point of origin of the flare or other effect, especially since the filament is long and spiraled, and the bulb light is a single point.

light.jpg
    640 x 480 - 182K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Following this thread, my suggestion would be to set up your glass shader for the bulb with your transparency, reflection and refraction the way you want it, then set your alpha channel in the shader to around 50%. That way, you can still see the effects of the shader, and still get your lens flare and other effects.

In addition, I would use the 3D light sphere. It's visible no matter the alpha setting. Set the effect to Realistic and play with the intensity, diameter and quality settings. It can look really good and can help hide the point of origin of the flare or other effect, especially since the filament is long and spiraled, and the bulb light is a single point.

Thanks, EP! I'll try that out.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Maybe instead of a spot/bulb light in the center of the filament, you could use a tube light.

Eddy