Carrara Pro 8.5 Genesis and Poke Through...

LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi Everyone,

For the past week I have been searching and reading this forum (and others) trying to figure out the "best" way to fix poke-through issues in Carrara. I have been using Daz Studio and have had success using the Smoothing and Push modifiers. However, these features are not available in Carrara 8.5, and I am having massive poke-through issues. The biggest culprits are whenever I load a pose, and the poke-through occurs around the chest and neck, and the hips and crotch. While reading I saw the term "magnet" used, but never quite got the context. I finally figured out where to find the elusive "magnet' in Carrara, and spent some time playing around with them last night. Using two magnets, I was able succesfully fix the poke through on the chest. This works, but took quite some time to figure out how to apply the magnet, and to be honest, I think I lucked out when I was manipulating them. So, the point of my post is to ask two questions:

1. Are magnets the best way to handle poke through for Genesis (Genesis 2?) figures in Carrara 8.5?

2. Can someone explain how magnets work in plain English, or perhaps point to a tutorial that does?

Thanks a million for taking the time to read this!

Rich S.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Someone will come along soon to provide better advice, because I don't generally use Genesis. However, you may get some ideas from the following threads. There are many ways to address poke through. Magnets are just one. You might try morphs. You might try painting in the alpha channel,... Genesis could complicate the "five ways..." because of the way it projects morphs, and some of those issues are discussed by Sparrowhawke if you scroll down in the first thread below.

Conforming to Genesis figures and Morphs
    Sparrowhawke
    Posted: 10 October 2013 06:46 AM
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30320/

five ways to fix poke through without using conforming figures
    diomede64
    Posted: 25 September 2013 08:09 AM
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited October 2013

Hi LinkRS.

Carrara magnet deformers in the assemble room can work for fixing poke through. However they can be difficult to work with at first in some situations and poses. Currently, there is no documentation for the magnet deformer.

Some content examples of magnet deformers can be found on a Victoria 4.2 imported figure. They are used to fix(?) some rigging bends in Carrara. Genesis is as close to a native Carrara figure there is. So most suggestions to fix poke through should work with it.

1. Magnets are one way, but it depends on the scene and imported/native figures. The above link by diomede64 , "five ways to fix..." have tutorials and suggestions to fix poke through. For animation with poke through, the only suggestion I know would be to use the magnet deformers or,...hiding polygons in the vertex modeler(View->Hide Selection). Works on rigged objects only, like imported content figures.

2. Using the magnet deformer(afaik);

-The 'Zone' is the area of influence. An attached mesh inside of a zone is affected by the magnet to base relation(or transforms).
    -The 'Base' is the zero influence point for the magnet. Magnet at the base = zero influence on the zone.
    -The 'Magnet' is the main deformer point. The farther away from the base, or difference in transform scale(etc.) the more affect on the mesh in a zone.

The Effects tab of the Magnet, Base, Zone changes their display only.

EDIT:added info.

Post edited by tbwoq on